GATE 2020: Application Form, Exam Dates, Eligibility, Pattern, Syllabus
GATE 2020 will be jointly organized by Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and Indian Institute of Technology (IITs). It is a national level entrance exam conducted to offer admission into M.Tech and M.Sc programmes in Engineering, Technology and Architecture fields. Also, candidates can get admission into various branches of Ph.D through this exam. Admission will be provided to the qualified candidates in various NITs, IITs, GFTIs, IIS and other renowned institutions. Using the GATE scores, candidates will also get recruitment in various PSUs for junior engineer. In this article we have provided complete details related to GATE 2020.
GATE 2020 New Changes Introduced
The new changes introduced for GATE is discussed below:
- The entrance test of GATE will be organized for 24 papers. A new paper of Statistics has been added in the syllabus.
- IIT Delhi is expected to conduct GATE 2020.
GATE 2020 Important Dates
Below we have provided the tentative dates for the various events of GATE 2020:
|Starting of Registration||1st week of September 2019|
|Last date to submit the application form||4th week of September 2019|
|Application correction window opens||4th week of November 2019|
|Last date to register with late fee||1st week of October 2019|
|Corrections in Category/PwD Status/Gender/Dyslexia and other similar learning disabilities||Last week of October to1st week of November 2019|
|Last date to make changes in exam city by paying additional fee||3rd week of November 2019|
|Availability of Mock Test||November 2019|
|Downloading of Admit Card||1st week of January 2020|
|GATE 2020 Exam||1st to 2nd week of February 2020|
|Release of Answer Key||February 2020|
|Declaration of Results||3rd week of March 2020|
|Release of Score Card||3rd week of March to last week of May 2020|
|Starting of Counselling process||1st week of April 2020|
GATE 2020 Application Form
Candidates can go through the complete details of GATE 2020 below:
- The Application Form of GATE 2020 will be released in the first week of September 2019 tentatively.
- Applicants have to register and fill the application form through online portal. The complete application process will consist of – Online Registration, filling the application form, uploading of documents and paying the application fee.
- Candidates will have to upload the scanned images of photograph, signature & required degree certificates.
- Last date to submit the application form will be till the fourth week of September 2019.
- Candidates must make sure to go through the complete eligibility criterion and other details online.
- Before filling the application form, candidates must be ready with the documents like qualifying degree certificate, category certificate, PwD certificate (if applicable) for the uploading process.
Candidates can also make correction in the details of application form when the board will open the application correction window. The Correction window will open in the fourth week of November 2019 tentatively.
To make necessary changes in the details of the application, additional sum of fee has to be paid by the candidates. Changes or modification can be made only in some of the details like date of birth, communication address, category, gender and graduation details.
The details like E-mail Id, phone number, exam paper name cannot be corrected in the application form.
Applicants have to pay the application fee through online mode (debit/credit card/net banking) only. Check below the application fee for various category candidates and for various exam cities.
For Exam Centers located in India
|For UR/Other category candidates||Rs.1500|
|For ST/SC/PwD/Female candidates||Rs.750|
For Exam Centers located in Foreign Countries (All categories)
|Singapore and Dubai||US$100|
|Addis Ababa, Kathmandu, Colombo and Dhaka||US$50|
GATE 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Go through the complete eligibility criterion of GATE 2020 below filling the application form:
- Nationality: Indian National and Foreign National candidates can apply.
- Age: There is no minimum or maximum age limit to apply.
Course Wise Eligibility
For B.Arch Programme
- Qualifying Exam: Applying candidate must have passed five years of Bachelor’s degree in Architecture from a recognized board or university.
- Appearing: Candidates who are currently in the final year of their qualifying exam can also apply. The passing year must not be later than 2020.
For B.Tech/ B.Pharm/BE Programme
- Qualifying Exam: Candidate must have completed their Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Technology after 12th examination OR
He/she must have passed with 3 years Bachelor’s degree after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology.
For M.Sc/MCA/MA Programme
- Qualifying Exam: Candidate must hold Master’s degree in any branch of Mathematics/Science/Computer Applications/Statistics or equivalent from a recognized board or university.
- Appearing: Candidates in their final year of their qualifying exam can also apply. The passing year must not be later than 2020.
For Integrated M.Tech/ME (Post-B.Sc)
- Qualifying Exam: Candidates must have passed 4 years of Post-B.Sc Integrated Master’s degree programme in Engineering or Technology from a recognized board or university.
- Appearing: Candidates who are currently in their final year of qualifying exam are also eligible to apply. The passing year must not be later than 2022.
For BS/B.Sc (Research) Programme
- Qualifying Exam: Candidate must have completed his/her Bachelor’s degree in Science after Post diploma OR
He/she after his/her 10+2 level must have passed with Bachelor’s degree with Science stream.
For Integrated B.S./M.S or Integrated M.Sc Programme
- Qualifying Exam: Passed Integrated M.Sc. or 5years Integrated B.S.- M.S. program or currently appearing in the final year
- Appearing: Candidates appearing in the current year are eligible and the year of qualification must not be later than 2020.
For International Applicants
Candidates from Bangladesh, Nepal, Ethiopia, Sri Lanka, Singapore and UAE countries can seek admission by satisfying the below criteria:
- Qualifying Exam: Applying candidate must have completed his/her Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Master’s Degree from relevant science subjects.
- Appearing: Candidates appearing in their final year of qualifying exam are also eligible.
GATE 2020 Exam Pattern
Check below the complete exam pattern of GATE 2020:
- Exam Mode and Date: GATE 2020 exam will be conducted in the first to second week of February 2020 in Online CBT mode.
- Number and Type of Questions: There will be total of 65 questions in the paper. Questions will be of multiple choice and numerical type.
- Total Marks: The exam will be of total 100 marks.
- Time Duration: Total time duration to complete the paper will be of 3 hours.
- Sections: The question paper will contain total 3 sections – General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics and Subject Specification Section.
- Marking Scheme: For MCQs and NATs, various questions will be of 1 or 2 marks. In MCQs of 1 mark, 1/3 marks will be deducted for wrong responses. For MCQs of 2 mark, 2/3 marks will be deducted for incorrect answers. There will be no negative marking for numerical type questions.
In the table given below, candidates can go through the questions and marks distribution for various sections of the paper:
|Sections||Number of Questions and Marks per part||Number of questions||Maximum Marks|
|General Aptitude (GA)||5 questions of 1 mark each and 5 questions of 2 mark each||10||15|
|Question Papers other than GG, XE and XL||25 questions of 1 mark each and 30 questions of 2 mark each||55||85|
|Question Paper GG (Geology and Geophysics)||PART A (Compulsory Section)||PART B||55||85|
|25 questions of 1 mark each||Section I (Geology) and Section II (Geophysics) (Attempt Any 1 question):|
30 questions of 2 mark each
|XE Paper (Engineering Sciences)||Section A Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory):||Sections B to H: (Attempt Any Two)||55||85|
|7 questions of 1 mark each and4 questions of2 marks each||9questions of 1 mark each and13questions of2 marks each|
|XL Paper (Life Sciences)||Section P Chemistry (Compulsory Section):||Sections Q to U: (Attempt Any 2)||55||85|
|5questions of 1 mark each and10questions of2 marks each||10questions of 1 mark each and10 questions of2 marks each|
GATE 2020 Syllabus
The Syllabus for GATE 2020 will be released by the board in PDF Format online . Various topics will be included in the syllabus from the subjects of Engineering Mathematics, General Aptitude and specific subject of the paper.
Complete syllabus for 24 subjects can be checked by the candidates online. Below we have provided the syllabus for various subjects:
Civil Engineering (CE): Engineering Mathematics, Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Engineering, etc.
Statistics (ST): Calculus, Probability, Linear Algebra, Inference, Stochastic Processes, Multivariate Analysis, Design of Experiments & Regression Analysis.
Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC): Engineering Mathematics, Networks, Electronic Devices, Signals and Systems, Digital Circuits, Analog Circuits, etc.
Chemical Engineering (CH): Process Calculations and Thermodynamics, Engineering Mathematics, Fluid Mechanics and Mechanical Operations, etc.
Instrumentation Engineering (IN): Engineering Mathematics, Signals and Systems, Electrical Circuits, Control Systems, etc.
Petroleum Engineering (PE): Linear Algebra, Petroleum Formation Evaluation, Oil and Gas Well Testing, etc.
Architecture and Planning (AR): Architecture and Design, Construction and Management, Building Materials, Environmental Planning and Design, Building and Structure, etc.
Mathematics (MA): Linear Algebra, Algebra, Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis, Real Analysis, Numerical Analysis, etc.
GATE 2020 Preparation Tips
To qualify the entrance exam of GATE 2020, candidates can take help of below preparation tips:
- Go through the complete syllabus, marking pattern and exam pattern of the entrance exam. Candidates can check these details through online mode.
- Make a study routine and follow it strictly daily.
- For a good practice candidates can solve previous year exam papers and sample papers.
- Go for various online or offline mock tests to know your preparation standards and make improvement accordingly.
- Prepare from good study material available recommended by the qualified students and professionals.
FAQS (Frequently Asked Questions)
GATE 2020 Admit Card
GATE 2020 Hall Ticket/Admit Card will be made available for download few days before the entrance exam. Only the candidates who have successfully submitted their application will get admit cards in the first week of January 2019.
The Admit card can be downloaded online by entering enrollment id/email address and password. No candidate will be provided admit cards through email or post.
GATE 2020 Answer Key
The Board will publish the Answer key of GATE 2020 for various programmes and subjects separately. Candidates will be able to access the Answer key by online mode.
Candidates can also submit their objections or suggestions for the Answer key by paying a certain amount of fee within a given time period.
GATE 2020 Result
GATE 2020 Result will be announced in the third week of March 2020 tentatively. Candidates can check the results from the online portal and also download their scorecard by entering their registration number and date of birth.
The marks of the candidates will be calculated out of 100 whereas the scores will be derived out of 1000 after normalization process.
GATE 2020 Scorecard
The scorecard of GATE 2020 will be valid for three years after the release of results. No candidate will be provided scorecard by offline mode. It can be downloaded from the 3rd week of March to the last week of March 2020.
To obtain the scorecard candidates have to enter their enrollment id and password through online mode. Information displayed in the scorecard will be candidates name, score, marks, All India rank, gender, registration number, qualifying status, photograph and signature etc.
GATE 2020 Cut Off
Looking back to the previous cut off trends of GATE, below we have provided the expected cut off marks of GATE 2020 for various streams:
|Electronics and Communication||25||16.6||22.5|
GATE 2020 Counselling
After GATE 2020 results will be announced, selected candidates have to apply for admission in IITs separately. The Board will not conduct any centralized counselling for the admission of the qualified candidates.
However, for admission in M.Tech/ M.Plan/M.Arch programmes centralized counselling will be held for admission into all NITs and various centrally funded institutions. It will start from the first week of April 2020.
During the counselling process, candidates have to make choice of course and colleges as per their preferences. As per the rank secured in the exam, filled choices, availability of seats and category of candidates, seats will be allocated in various institutions for admission.
If you have any query regarding GATE 2020, you can ask your query in the comments section given below.