GATE 2024 Exam Pattern, Paper/ Subjects (Added) – Check Here
GATE 2024 New Paper has been added. Exam Pattern must be checked by the candidates to make themselves aware about the exam mode, marking & other details. The exam pattern also discusses about the number of questions, its type, number of sections, papers, time duration, etc.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is conducted for admission to M.E./ M.Tech/ Direct Ph.D programmes in IITs, NITs, CFTI and various private institutions. GATE 2024 exam is going to be organised by IISc, Bengaluru. Check below complete GATE Exam Pattern 2024 details.
GATE 2024 Exam Pattern – New Paper Added
GATE 2024 Number of Papers have been increased this year. 1 New paper of Data Science & Artificial Intelligence (DA) has been added. Check below for complete pattern details.
Students can check here information related to GATE 2024 exam pattern. Also, we have discussed here various changes which have been introduced in GATE exam in the past years:
- The examination of GATE 2024 will be be conducted for 30 papers (1 new subject added). It will be conducted via online mode only (Computer Based Test).
- The exam tests candidates various abilities – Recall, Application, Comprehension, Analysis & Synthesis.
- GATE 2024 will be organised on 3rd, 4th & 10th, 11th February 2024.
- For creating an opportunity in the inter- disciplinary areas, candidates will be provided with the option of appearing for more than one subject. Students must appear for ONE or TWO subjects in the GATE exam. However, the option of two subjects will be applicable only for a prescribed set of combinations.
- This year, the GATE 2024 authority has added one more paper – Data Science & Artificial Intelligence (DA).
- In the year 2022, two new subjects – Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering (NM), and Geomatics Engineering (GE) were added.
- In GATE 2021, Environmental Science & Engineering (ES) and Humanities & Social Sciences (XH) subjects were added.
- In GATE 2020, Bio-medical Engineering (BM) subject was added in the syllabus of GATE.
GATE will be also conducted in International centres and the session timings at as per their local time.
- Question Type: The question paper of GATE 2024 will consist of both Multiple- Choice Questions (MCQs), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
- For multiple choice questions, there will be multiple options available out of which students have to choose only the right answer.
- For multiple select questions, one or more than one options out of four will be correct.
- For numerical answer type questions, candidates will have to enter a number using the virtual keyword available on the computer screen during the examination.
- Number of Questions: The question paper of GATE will contain 65 questions [10 (GA)+ 55 (Subjects)] of maximum 100 marks.
- No of Sections: The questions will be divided in two sections – Common General Aptitude – GA (for all subjects/ papers) & Core subjects. The core subjects will have two types of questions – Compulsory & Optional.
- Exam Duration: Paper will be of 3 hours.
Check the GATE paper and paper codes for GATE 2024 from the below table. Know about the newly added papers & their paper codes:
|Paper||Paper Code||Paper||Paper Code|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Mathematics||MA|
|Bio-medical Engineering||BM||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Physics||PH|
|Chemistry||CY||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Textile Engineering and Fiber Science||TF|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Engineering Sciences||XE|
|Environmental Science & Engineering||ES||Humanities & Social Sciences||XH|
|Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering||NM||Geomatics Engineering||GE|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Life Sciences||XL|
|Statistics||ST||Data Science & Artificial Intelligence||DA|
Exam Pattern for Various Papers
- In all the papers except CY, DA, EY, GG, MA, PH, AR, ST, XH and XL, Engineering Mathematics will carry 13 marks, General Aptitude section will contain 15 marks, subject questions will contain 72 marks, making it total 100 marks (XE includes Engineering mathematics section XE-A of 15 marks).
- In the papers CY, DA, EY, GG, MA, PH, AR, ST, XH and XL, General Aptitude section will carry 15 marks and subject questions will carry 85 marks, making it total 100 marks.
- In the paper of AR, General Aptitude section will carry 15 marks. Paper will consist of two parts – Part A (60) & Part B (25) marks. Part A is compulsory for all candidates & Part B contains optional section. Part B1 (Architecture) & Part B2 (Planning).
- The General Aptitude section 5 questions of 1 Mark and 5 questions of 2 marks.
- Question paper other than GG, XE and XL will contain 25 questions of 1 mark and 30 questions of 2 marks.
|Paper Code||General Aptitude (GA) Marks||Compulsory Section||Subject Marks||Total Marks||TIme|
|AE, BT, AG, CH, CE, CS, EE, EC, ES, MA, IN, MN, ME, PE, MT, PI, MH, TF, BM||15||–||85||100||180 minutes|
|CY, EY, ST, DA, PH, MA||15||–||85||100||180 minutes|
|GE (Part A is common & compulsory|
B1 & B2 can be selected during exam
B1 – Surveying & mapping & B2 is image processing & analysis
|GG (Part A is common & compulsory|
Part B can either be Geology (B1) or Geophysics (B2) which must be chosen at the time of application
|XE (section A + any two sections)||15||15||(2×35)||100||180 minutes|
|XL (Section P + any two sections)||15||25||(2×30)||100||180 minutes|
|XH (section B1 + any one section)||15||25||60||100||180 minutes|
|AR (part A + part B is compulsory) (B1: Architecture or B2: Planning can be selected during exam)||15||60||25||100||180 minutes|
For XH Paper:
Candidate appearing for XH (Humanities & Social Sciences) paper, will have to attempt the following sections:
- General Aptitude – Common General Aptitude will carry of total 15 marks.
- Paper B1 (Compulsory) – Reasoning & Comprehension (compulsory section) – This compulsory section will be of 25 marks.
- Any one optional papers of XH (C1 to C6) – There are 6 sections (C1 to C6), candidates can opt for any one optional section. The optional section will of 60 marks.
- XH= General Aptitude (15 marks) + Subject questions (85 marks) = 100 marks
XH paper contains the following sections:
|Reasoning & Comprehension (Compulsory) (25 marks)||B1|
|Any one optional section (60 marks)|
For XE Paper:
Candidate appearing for XE paper have to attempt the following sections:
- General Aptitude – Common General Aptitude will carry of total 15 marks.
- Paper A (Compulsory) – Engineering Mathematics (compulsory section) – contains 11 questions (7 questions of 1 mark and 4 questions of 2 marks).
- Any two optional papers of XE (B to H) – There are 7 sections (B to H), candidates can opt for two optional sections. Each section will be of 35 marks (2 section X 35 marks = 75 marks). There will be total 22 questions (9 questions carrying 1 mark and 13 questions carrying 2 marks).
- XE = 15 + [15+(2*35)] = 100 marks
XE paper contains the following sections:
|Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory) (15 marks)||A|
|Any two optional section (2x 35 = 70 marks)|
|Polymer Science and Engineering||F|
|Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences||H|
For XL Paper:
Candidate appearing for XL paper have to attempt the following sections:
- General Aptitude – Common General Aptitude carrying of total 15 marks.
- Paper P (Compulsory) – Chemistry (compulsory section) – It contains total 15 questions (5 questions of 1 marks and 10 questions of 2 marks).
- Any two optional papers of XL (Q to U) – There are 5 sections (Q to U), candidates can opt for two optional sections. Each section will be of 35 marks (2 section X 30 marks = 60 marks). There will be 20 questions (10 questions of 1 mark and 10 questions of 2 marks).
- XL = 15 + [25+(2*30)] = 100 marks
XL Paper of GATE has the following sections:
|Chemistry (Compulsory) 25 marks||P|
|Any two optional section (2x 30 = 60 marks)|
Note: Students can choose the sections during examination after viewing the questions.
For GG Paper:
The question paper will consist of two parts: Part A and Part B. Part A is common for all candidates. Part B has 2 sections; Section-1 is of Geology and Section-2 is of Geophysics. In Part A, there is total 25 of 1 mark each. In Part B, each section contain 30 questions of 2 marks.
GG= 15+25+60 = 100 marks
Note: Apart from core subject of the paper, General Aptitude (GA) is the common section in each paper of GATE.
There will be a negative marking in GATE for multiple choice questions. For Numerical answer type questions, no negative marking will be there. For 1-mark question, 1/3 mark will be deducted for wrong answers and for 2 marks question, 2/3 marks will be deducted. There is no partial marking in MSQ.
Complete details about the GATE 2024 Exam Pattern is mentioned in the article as per the details furnished by the GATE 2024 brochure released by authority. The details about the number of papers/ subjects, their paper codes, number of sections & their types, time duration, marking scheme, etc. have been updated in our article soon.
Candidates must go through complete article to know every bit of information about GATE 2024 exam pattern.
If candidates have any query regarding GATE 2024 Exam Pattern, you can leave your comments below.