GATE 2019 Exam Pattern, Marking Scheme, Types of Papers
GATE 2019 exam pattern contain details about number of questions asked in the examination, number of sections, marking scheme and time duration. Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is conducted for admission to M.E./M.Tech/Direct Ph.D programmes in IITs, NITs, GFTI and various private institutions. This exam is organized by IIT, Madras for the year 2019. Check below GATE exam pattern 2019 in detail.
GATE 2019 Notification – Application Started
GATE 2019 Notification, Eligibility, Syllabus & other details have been released. The application form filling has been started from 1st September 2018.
GATE 2019 Exam Pattern
The examination of GATE for 24 papers will be conducted in online mode only (Computer Based Test). Candidates can appear only in ANY ONE paper of GATE exam.
GATE 2019 examination will be held on 2nd, 3rd, 9th & 10th February 2019 during forenoon (9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon) and afternoon (12:00 PM to 5:00 PM) sessions of weekends.
ADMISSION OPEN 2019
- MIT World Peace University, Pune B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- DIT University, Dehradun - B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Symbiosis Institute of Technology B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chitkara University B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chandigarh University (Ranked 1 in North India) - Application Open.
GATE will also be conducted in International centres and the session timings at as per their local time.
- Question Type: The question paper of GATE 2019 consisting of both multiple-choice type (MCQ) and numerical answer type (NAT).
- For objective type questions, there are multiple options available out of which students have to choose only the right answer.
- For numerical answer type questions, candidates have to enter a number using the virtual keyword available on the computer screen during the examination.
- Number of Questions: The question paper of GATE will contain 65 question of maximum 100 marks.
- Exam Duration: 3 hours.
Check the GATE paper and paper codes for GATE 2019 from the below table:
|Paper||Paper Code||Paper||Paper Code|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Mathematics||MA|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering and Fiber Science||TF|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Engineering Sciences||XE|
Note: CE, CS, EC, EE and ME papers: Examination may be conducted in multiple sessions. However, a candidate is allowed to appear in only ONE specified session.
Exam Pattern for Various Papers
- In the papers of AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE, Engineering Mathematics will carry 15% marks of total marks, General Aptitude section will contain 15% marks and rest of the 70% marks will be contained by the core subject of the paper.
- In the papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, ST and XL, General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and remaining 85% marks will be carried by the core subject of the paper.
- The General Aptitude section 5 questions of 1 Mark and 5 questions of 2 marks.
- Question paper other than GG, XE and XL will contain 25 questions of 1 mark and 30 questions of 2 marks.
For XE Paper:
Candidate appearing XE paper has to attempt the following sections:
- Section A – Engineering Mathematics (compulsory section) – contains 11 questions (7 questions of 1 mark and 4 questions of 2 marks).
- GA – General Aptitude carrying of total 15 marks.
- Any two of XE sections B to H – contains 22 questions (9 questions carrying 1 mark and 13 questions carrying 2 marks).
XE paper contains the following sections:
|Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory)||A|
|Polymer Science and Engineering||F|
|Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences||H|
For XL Paper:
Candidate appearing XL paper has to attempt the following sections:
- Section P– Chemistry (compulsory section) – It contains 15 questions (5 questions of 1 marks and 10 questions of 2 marks)
- GA – General Aptitude carrying of total 15 marks.
- Any two of XL sections Q to U – It contains 20 questions (10 questions of 1 mark and 10 questions of 2 marks)
XL Paper of GATE has the following sections:
Students can choose the sections during examination after viewing the questions.
For GG Paper:
The question paper will consist of two parts: Part A and Part B. Part A is common for all candidates. Part B has 2 sections; Section-1 is of Geology and Section-2 is of Geophysics. In Part A, there is total 25 of 1 mark each. In Part B, each section contain 30 questions of 2 marks.
Note: Apart from core subject of the paper, General Aptitude (GA) is the common section in each paper of GATE.
There is a negative marking in GATE for multiple choice questions. For Numerical answer type questions, no negative marking will be there. For 1-mark question, 1/3 mark will be deducted for wrong answers and for 2 marks question, 2/3 marks will be deducted.
If candidates have any query regarding GATE 2019 Exam Pattern, they can leave their comments below.