IIT JAM 2020: Application, Important Dates, Eligibility, Pattern, Syllabus
IIT JAM 2020 will be conducted by the IIT Kanpur on behalf of Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD). IIT JAM is a national level examination organized to offer admission into M.Sc. (four semesters), M.Sc. Ph.D., and M.Sc. Ph.D. dual degree etc. programmes at IITs. The admission is offered to the Indian nationals as well as foreign national candidates. Students qualifying this entrance test can apply for admission into these courses in various renowned colleges of the country. Candidates can go through this article to know various details about IIT JAM 2020 including important dates, application form, eligibility, exam pattern, syllabus, result and much more.
IIT JAM 2020 Important Dates
Candidates can check the IIT JAM 2020 important dates regarding the exam in the below given table:
|Commencement of online application form||1st week of September 2019|
|Last date of online application submission||2nd week of October 2019|
|Admit card release||1st week of January 2020|
|Mock test availability||2nd week of January 2020|
|IIT JAM 2020 exam date||2nd week of February 2020|
|Answer key release||Last week of February 2020|
|Announcement of result||3rd week of March 2020|
|Score card availability||1st week of April 2020|
|Submission of application for admission||3rd week of April 2020|
|Declaration of first admission list||1st week of June 2020|
IIT JAM 2020 Application Form
Candidates can check IIT JAM 2020 application form details from below:
- Candidates can fill IIT JAM 2020 application form in online mode.
- Candidates will be able to fill application from the first week of September 2019.
- Candidates have to register by providing their name, email, mobile number and password.
- The application process will include – Online registration, filling details, uploading of images, application fee payment and printing of application form.
- Candidates have to upload signature, photograph and documents like category certificates in the application.
- After successful registration, candidate’s user id and password will be sent to the email address provided by the candidate.
- The enrollment id will be also sent to the mobile number provided by the candidate.
- Students can appear for either one or two test papers.
- Candidates can check their application status after submission of the application.
Mode of Payment: The application fee can be paid through online mode via debit card, credit card or net banking etc.
In case of fees amount has been debited from your account, but JOAPS does not acknowledge any fee payment, then the money will be credited back to your account.
The application fee is given below for all categories:
|One test paper||Two test paper|
|Females of all categories & SC/ST/PWD||Rs. 750/-||Rs. 1050/-|
|General/OBC or other category||Rs. 1000/-||Rs. 2100/-|
IIT JAM 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates are advised to check the IIT JAM 2020 Eligibility criteria before filling the application form:
- Nationality: Candidates should be Indian or foreign citizen.
- Qualification: Candidates must have done Bachelor’s degree from any recognized board or university.
- Qualifying marks: Candidates must have obtained minimum of 55% marks in the qualifying exam. For SC/ST/PWD candidates 50% marks must be obtained.
- Age Criteria: There will be no age limit to apply this exam.
- Appearing: Candidates who are appearing in the last year of their degree programme can also apply provided they have to submit the proof of passing the qualifying examination during document verification.
IIT JAM 2020 Exam Pattern
Candidates can check the IIT JAM 2020 exam pattern given below:
- Mode of Exam: The exam will be conducted in online mode.
- Time Duration: The time duration for the exam will be 3 hours.
- Total Questions: There will be 60 questions asked in the exam.
- Type of Questions: Questions will be in multiple choice and Numerical answer type.
- Total Papers: 7 papers will be organized for exam.
- Total Marks: The question paper will be of 100 marks.
- Negative Marking: In the exam negative marking will be only for section I.
Candidates can check the exam pattern below in the table:
|No. of questions||Type of questions|
|Section I||30||Multiple choice questions||50|
|Section II||10||Multiple select questions||20|
|Section III||20||Numerical answer type questions||30|
IIT JAM 2020 Syllabus
IIT JAM 2020 Syllabus will be divided in various topics and chapters from the subjects of biological science, biotechnology, chemistry, mathematics, physics and geology etc.
The syllabus will be based on studied topics of graduation level.
Some of the topics for each of the subjects are provided below:
Syllabus for Geology:
This section will include questions from the topics i.e. geomorphology, the planet earth, structural geology, paleontology, stratigraphy, petrology, economic geology, applied geology and mineralogy etc.
Syllabus of Mathematics Statics:
This section will include topics from differential calculus, integral calculus, matrix, sequence and series, probability, random variables, joint distributions, sampling distributions, estimation, limit theorem, testing of hypothesis etc.
Syllabus of Chemistry:
This section will depends on mathematical concepts, theory of gases, solid state, chemical thermodynamics, electrochemistry, spectroscopy, adsorption, organic reaction mechanism, basic concept of organic chemistry, natural products chemistry, aromatic and heterocyclic chemistry periodic table, main group elements, chemical bonding and shapes, bio inorganic chemistry, analytical chemistry etc.
Syllabus for Biotechnology:
The questions will be asked from General biology, biochemistry and physiology, basic biotechnology etc.
Syllabus of Mathematics:
This section will include the topics function and one variable, integral calculation, differential calculus, vector calculus, linear algebra, real analysis, group theory and sequence and series and real number tec.
Syllabus of Physics:
This section will be based on the topics i.e. oscillation waves and optics, mechanics and general properties of matter, mathematical methods, kinetics theory, thermodynamics, modern physics, electricity and mechanism, solid state physics, devices and electronics and modern physics etc.
IIT JAM 2020 Preparation Tips
Candidates can check below some preparation tips to perform well in the examination:
- Candidates can solve previous year question papers.
- Make a proper time table and follow it.
- Candidates must go through the exam pattern and syllabus.
- Candidates must solve the mock test and online papers for better preparation.
- Eat healthy food and maintain your health to stay fit.
- Choose the best books and online lectures for the study.
FAQ’S (Frequently Asked Questions)
IIT JAM 2020 Admit Card
IIT JAM 2020 Admit card will be available to the candidates after the final submission of the application form. The exam conducting authority will not sent the admit card to the students by post. Candidates will get their admit card in online mode in the first week of January 2020.
Candidates must check complete information given on the admit card like exam date and time, exam center, name and address etc. No candidate will be allowed to enter the examination hall showing the admit card. To download the admit card, students have to enter their login credentials.
IIT JAM 2020 Answer Key
After few days of completion of IIT JAM 2020 entrance test, answer key will be released by the authority. Candidates will be able to access the answer key in online mode in last week of February 2020.
Through the answer key candidates can calculate their marks obtained in the exam. Candidates can also submit challenges against the answer key with the proof. After provisional answer key, the final answer key will be released by the authority.
IIT JAM 2020 Result
Candidates can check their IIT JAM 2020 Result from the website in online mode. Candidates will be able to check their results in third week of March 2020. For each test paper, an all India merit list will be prepared based on the All India Rank (AIR).
The prepared merit list will depends on the total number of seats and availability of seats for students including reservation policy for various categories. Candidates can check their results in the form of score card. The result will represent the merit and rank secured by the students in the exam.
IIT JAM 2020 Cut Off
Candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of IIT JAM 2020 Cut off. Cut off will be the minimum marks required in each subjects for the admission procedure.
Through the cut off candidates will be invited based on their preference of course. Participating institutes will give the admission to the candidates on the basis of cut off marks. All the IITs and IISc will release the separate merit list for providing admission in the campus.
IIT JAM 2020 Counselling
The shortlisted candidates will be able to attend the IIT JAM 2020 Counselling.. Qualified candidates will have to fill the admission form of IIT Jam 2020 to participate in the counselling. The first admission list will be available in first week of June 2020. The admission form will be available in online mode through the website.
The admission fee for the candidates will be Rs. 600/-. Through the admission form candidates can choose the courses in order of preference, percentage, category, qualification etc.
The admission form will be released in third week of April 2020. Candidates are advised to carry their original documents during the admission.
Candidates will have to carry the following original documents with photocopies at the time of admission:
- 10th and 12th mark sheet
- 10th and 12th certificates
- Category certificate
- Graduation degree
- Caste certificate
- Transfer certificate
- Passport size photographs
- Voter id or id proof
If you have any other query regarding IIT JAM 2020, you can ask us by leaving your comment below.