To become an “Air Hostess” is like a dream come true for the young girls. Flying is the dream of everyone. And if you have the option to choose your dream as your profession!
What you will feel? It’s amazing.
By the growing scenario of the aviation industries across the world, the professional education courses exist in India to produce the air hostess and flight steward. The air hostess is the primary career line of an airlines career. This career involves in pleasant, friendly and enthusiastic personality and environment.
The courses leading to the air hostess and flight steward are the programmes under the ‘Aviation and Hospitality Management’.
Air hostess is also known as the Flight attendants or cabin crew, stewards/stewardesses or cabin attendants.
The German Heinrich Kubis was the world’s first flight attendant, in 1912. The first female flight attendant was 25-years old Ellen Church employed by United Airlines in 1930.
Air hostesses are expected to be smartly dressed and well groomed at all the times. Most of the airlines do not allow the air hostess to have visible tattoos or piercings. Air hostess are required to work with a variety of people from different backgrounds and cultures.
Responsibility of An Air Hostess
An air hostess has many responsibilities on a plane. Air hostess typically do the following tasks:
- Greets the passengers and guides them to settle down in their seats.
- attending a pre-flight briefing.
- Answering passenger questions during the flight.
- Serving meals and refreshments to passengers.
- Prepares flight report.
- Provides medical care to the passengers if needed.
Instruct passengers on all safety procedures.
The degree course curriculum includes the management skills, emergency management, hospitality management, navigation skills, basic fundamental knowledge of aircraft and catering training.
There are so many institutes in India offering the certificate programme,, diploma programmes and the degree programmes in the field of aviation leading to the air hostess and flight steward.
The professional education in aviation (air hostess and flight steward) has three levels of study after 12th as the following:
- Certificate courses: Certificate courses are taken the duration of one year after 12th in any stream. The list of certificate courses:
- Aviation and Hospitality Services
- Hospitality Travel and Customer Service
- Night Rating
- Aviation Management
- Air Hostess/Flight Purser
- Aviation Hospitality & Travel Management
- International Airlines and Travel Management
- Private Pilot Training
- Commercial Pilot Training
- Air Ticketing & Tourism
- Airport Ground Management
- Air RT / Radio Flight Officer
- International Air Cargo
- Certificate Course in Fare Ticketing Virgin Atlantic/ GTMC Courses
- Certificate Courses in Personality Development
- Certificate in Aviation Security and Safety
- Diploma courses: Diploma courses are taken the duration of one year after 12th in any stream. The list of diploma courses:
- Aviation and Hospitality Management
- Air Hostess Training
- Aviation Hospitality and Travel Management
- Diploma in Professional Cabin Crew Services
- Diploma in Professional Ground Staff Services
- Diploma in Airport Management & Customer Care
- Diploma in Airlines Management
- Diploma in Airlines and Travel Management
- Diploma in Ground handling And Cargo Management
- Diploma in Hospitality, Travel and Customer Service
- Diploma in Air Cargo Practices & Documentation
- Diploma in Airport Ground Staff Training with On-job Training
- Degree courses: Degree courses are taken the duration of three years after 12th in any stream. The list of degree courses:
- BBA (Aviation )
- MBA (Aviation )
- Post Graduate Diploma in Aviation and Hospitality Services
- Post Graduate Diploma in Airport Ground Services
- Post Graduate Diploma In Aviation, Hospitality, Travel & Customer Service
Top Colleges in India offer Air Hostess courses:
- Rajiv Gandhi Memorial College of Aeronautics, Jaipur
- Air Hostess Academy, Pune
- Avalon Academy, Dehradun
- Air Hostess Academy, Delhi
- Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess Training, Delhi
- Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess Training, Mumbai
- Universal Airhostess Academy, Chennai
For the admission in air hostess programme, the candidate should have the following:
- Age Limit: Candidate age limit within 17 years to 26 years.
- Height: Minimum 5 ft and 2 inches with balanced weight.
- Status (Martial): Unmarried (Not all airlines have this condition).
- Eye Sight: Normal eyesight of 6/6 uncorrected in both eyes.
- Language:Hindi, English and any other foreign languages.
- Complexion: Clear complexion.
- Other conditions: Medical Fit, Having Indian Passport.
Skills required to become an Air Hostess
- Pleasant & friendly personality
- Clear speech and voice
- Team worker
- Quick to find solutions
- Good Communication Skills
- Good appearance
- Sense of Responsibility
- Presence of mind and initiative
- Positive attitude
- Flexibility in working unusual hours
- Team Working Skills
- Proficiency in languages like Hindi, English and any other foreign languages will be an added advantage.
How can i become an Air Hostess?
- You can directly apply in different airlines which give advertisements in national newspapers and other mass media.
- If you are selected then the airline organizes a screening process in which your height and weight measurement is checked.
- Then you have to appear for the entrance exam that is conducted by the airline.
- After you clear the examination, a main interview is conducted in which your language fluency, voice, personality, communication skill, and reaction to adverse situations is assessed.
- If you selected, then you are trained by airlines for six months.
Career & Jobs
To make career as Air Hostess, your personality in addition to education is very important.
An air hostess or cabin crew or flight steward is responsible to provide the welfare, comfort and safety to the travellers or passengers. They have to check the emergency arrangements before takeoff and landing the flight. They have also to check, whether the all facilities are properly adhered to the passengers.
In this career you will meet with the cine celebrities, business tycoons, stay in 5-star hotels and shop from the big malls of the world and moreover you will see the different cultures of the world.
As per the regulation no one air crew will fly more than 72 hours in a month. Means there is no work burden. It is a good industry to get the jobs and healthy salaries.
An Air Hostess can be later promoted as Senior Flight Attendant and then Head Attendant.
After the completion of this course, you can get the job opportunity in:
- Indian Airlines
- Air India
- Alliance Air.
- Sahara India
- Jet Airways
- Go Air
- British Airways
- Qantas Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Gulf Air
- Singapore Airlines
- United Air
- Cathay Pacific
- Mahindra & Mahindra
It is a good field to get the handsome salaries. An air hostess can earn Rs. 16000 – 75000 in a month. If you are working with the domestic airlines, you may get around Rs. 16000 per month. If you are working with the international airlines like Indian airlines, you may earn up to Rs. 75000 per month.
Some of the international airlines offer more than 1 lakh or 2 lakh per month salaries to the senior air hostess. Salaries depend on the reputation of the airlines.
In addition to provide good salary package, some air lines also provides additional allowances, medical insurance, a retirement plan and discounts on flights and travel.
For more information about Air Hostess, you can ask here.