Bachelor of Design (B.Des) – Eligibility, Career, Scope & Salary
Are you interested to make your career in the field of Design?
Then.. Bachelor of Design (B.Des) could be a best gateway to enter in the Fashion & Design Industry.
Firstly, let us explain about B.Des programme.
“The Bachelor of Design also referred as B.Des or B.Design is an undergraduate academic degree in the field of designing. It deals with the designing of a part or whole structure of a shape, configuration, etc”.
B.Des degrees have been very trending in Canada, Australia and United States.
Besides only theory classes, it also includes Exhibitions, Fashion Shows, Workshops, Seminars and many other activities.
Admission Open 2023
Benefits of B.Des degree:
- You can also study higher qualification like M.Des (Master of Design).
- It provides you the self-employment opportunities as well as also generates jobs for others.
- It also offers fame, glamour, success and higher pay packages to the qualified ones.
- It will make you ready for a professional career in the fashion industry.
Duration & Eligibility
Also Check – Courses After 12th
B.Des degree consists of total four academic years. This degree has been divided into total eight semesters (like 2 semesters each year).
Am I eligible to apply for B.Des course?
Here we have provided the basic eligibility for B.Des programme:
- For admissions into B.Des course, you must have completed 10+2 or equivalent exam in any stream from any recognized board.
- Some colleges and institutions in India, consider the 50% minimum percentage criteria in qualifying exam or entrance exam to give admission in B.Des course.
- For admission in some colleges, you also have to clear the entrance exam.
Some top specializations of B.Des course are listed here:
- Fashion Design.
- Interior Design.
- Textile Design.
- Ceramic Design.
- Accessory Design.
- Game Design.
- Leather Design.
- Multimedia Design.
- Jewellery & Metalsmithing.
- Graphic Design.
- Industrial Design.
- Knitwear Design.
After completing B.Des course, you can go for M.Des (Master of Design), Master of Fine Arts (MFA – Fashion Design) and Master of Arts (MA – Fashion Design).
Also Check – Career in Arts
Skills Required for B.Des course:
- You must have good communication and interpersonal skills as you need to describe your ideas to the clients.
- You should be creative, imaginative and self motivated.
- You should posses a good knowledge of past and present styles of design.
How to get admission in this course?
Various colleges give admissions to students through the merit list. The merit list will be drawn on the basis of marks scored in the qualifying examination. Some other colleges also give admission through entrance exams.
The entrance exams can be organized at national, state or university level. National Institute of Design (NID) organizes its own entrance exam for providing admissions to its UG and PG courses in the field of Design. Some entrance exams for design courses are mentioned here:
- National Institute of Design (NID) Exam
- AIEED (All India Entrance Examination for Design)
- CEED (Common Entrance Examination for Design)
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) Exam
- MIT Institute of Design Examination
Are there any good colleges in India to purse B.Des programme?
There are many colleges and institutions which offers quality education to students in the field of design. Some top colleges for B.Des degree are listed below:
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Mumbai
- National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi
- Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID), Pune
- Northern India Institute of Fashion Technology (NIIFT), Mohali
- International Institute of Fashion Technology (IIFT), Chandigarh
- Maeer MIT Institute of Design (MITID), Pune
- International Institute of Fashion Design (INIFD), Mumbai
Career & Scope
What are the career opportunities with a B.Des degree?
There are lots of job opportunities are available for a B.Des graduate in the private as well as public sector. With this degree, you can also find jobs in abroad as well. You can take part in exhibitions and auctions of your creative works that can be organized in various parts of the world.
After pursuing this course, you can easily become a Graphic Designer who creates graphics for advertisement, publishing houses and many others. You can also opt teaching jobs in various reputed colleges and institutions of the country.
Some top recruiters in this field are Mindtree Ltd, Book My Show, Aapna Infotech, Multia Studio, Camphire and many others.
Some top job profiles are mentioned here:
- Graphic Designer
- Design Managers
- Textile Designer
- Outside Sale Representative
- Costume Designer
- Fashion Stylists
- Fashion Forecasters
- Weaving Consultant
- Fashion Merchandiser
- Cutting Assistant
- Interior Designer Entrepreneur
Various employment areas where you can find jobs after completing B.Des (Bachelor of Design) are given here:
- Corporate Houses
- Shopping Malls
- Fashion Marketing
- Design Production Management
- Furniture Manufacturing Units & Accessories
- Fashion Media
- Fashion Accessory Design
- Fashion Show Management
- Garment Manufacturing Unit
“Attractive salary packages are offered to B.Des qualified candidates around the world”.
As a Fashion Designer, you can earn a starting salary between Rs. 2 to 3 lacs per year. With a good position and experience, you can start earning Rs. 6 to 7 lacs per annum.
Each job has a different salary package for different experience and different qualification. The salary of a fashion designer shall vary on various factors such as working location, candidate’s qualification, recruiters, experience, working skills, etc.
“After gaining fame & enough experience in this field, you can earn beyond the limits”.
Books & Study Materials
Here we are providing a list of some good books to study B.Des degree. These books have been compiled by our experts after analyzing the other study material available in the market:
Graphic Design: The New Basics by Ellen Lupton and Jennifer Cole Phillips
Outside the Box: Hand-Drawn Packaging From Around the World by Gail Anderson
Patternalia: An Unconvential History of Polka Dots, Stripes, Plaid, Camouflage & Other Graphic Patterns by Jude Stewart
The Process: A New Foundation in Art and Design by Judith Wilde and Richard Wilde
Media Design with Adobe by Catherine Skintik
Principles of Form and Design by Wong
Graphic Design School: The Principles and Practice of Graphic Design by David Dabner, Sandra Stewart
Universal Principles of Design by William Lidwell, Kritina Holden, Jill Butler
Interaction of Color: 50th Anniversary Edition by Josef Albers
For any other details about Bachelor of Design (B.Des), you can leave your queries below.