Dairy Technology is an engineering field that deals with the processing of milk and its products. This field involves the use of “Technology” to make the dairy products and processing more advanced, hi-tech and useful.
The dairy technology is a component of food technology that specifically deals with the processing, storage, packaging, distribution and transportation of the dairy products like milk, ice-cream, curd etc by implying the science of biochemistry, bacteriology, nutrition to the milk and milk products.
“Dairy Technology comprise of various techniques related to the processing of different milk products.”
A person who works to process milk and its products in order to remove harmful toxins without affecting the nutritional value is termed as “Dairy Technologist”.
The dairy technology is one of the emerging career fields of engineering which generally deals with the overall production and processing of milk and milk based products. The students who are interested in the dairy science and wants to make their career in this field, then they can pursue a course in dairy technology ranging from diploma to postgraduate degree/PhD.
“Dairy Technology courses give you an in-depth knowledge of the dairy industry.”
Which courses will be beneficial in the field of Dairy Technology?
If you are interested in dairy science and looking to make your future in this field. Then you can choose any degree or diploma course in dairy technology. Students can pursue these courses either full time or through distance learning. Courses in this field have become very popular in a short span of time.The list of the courses are given below:
Diploma Programs in Dairy Technology:
- Diploma in Dairy Technology
- Diploma in Food and Dairy Technology
- Advanced Diploma in Dairy Science and Technology
UG Programs in Dairy Technology:
- B.Tech in Dairy Technology
- B.E. in Dairy Technology
PG programs in Dairy Technology:
- Dairy Microbiology (M.Tech)
- Dairy Engineering (M.Tech)
- Animal Biochemistry (M.Tech)
- Animal Nutrition (M.Tech)
- Animal Biotechnology (M.Tech)
- Animal Genetics and Breeding
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Dairy Chemistry
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Dairy Technology
“After pursuing master courses in this field you can also go for the Ph.D course (Doctor of Philosophy in Dairy Chemistry)”.
- These course imparts skills in the application of chemical, biological, physical & engineering science in processing of milk products.
- It offers the knowledge and skills which are required in the field of Dairy Technology.
- It educate about the engineering concepts being made use in dairy manufacturing procedures.
Some top specializations of dairy technology are:
- Dairy Chemistry
- Dairy Engineering
- Dairy Economics
- Dairy Microbiology
- Dairy Cattle Physiology
- Animal Biotechnology
- Dairy Cattle Nutrition
- Dairy Cattle Breeding
What will be the eligibility criteria for these courses?
The students, who are interested in this field, must pass class 12th examination with minimum 50% in physics, chemistry and Mathematics. The admission to the undergraduate and postgraduate courses is based on the all India entrance examination conducted by ICAR, New Delhi.
The eligibility criteria for the admission to the PG courses in Dairy Technology is based on the B.E/B.Tech degree in a specified discipline, followed by interview. The duration of this course will be two years.
How to get admission in Dairy Technology Courses?
You can apply for admission in B.Tech-Dairy Technology courses on the basis of merit list released by various colleges. The merit list is prepared on the basis of qualifying exam or entrance tests (as applicable).
The entrance tests are organized at national, state or university level. ICAR organizes the AIEEA (All India Entrance Examination for Admission) at national level for providing admission to students across the country. Some entrance exams are given here:
- ICAR AIEEA 2021 (All India Entrance Examination for Admission)
- WBJEE 2021 (West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination)
- BCECE 2021(Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination)
Here we are listing some colleges which offer quality education in this field:
- National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal
- Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur
- Indira Gandhi Agricultural University, Raipur
- Anand Agricultural University, Anand
Career and Jobs:
“Presently, skilled professionals are highly demanded in the Dairy Technology industry”.
Due to increasing demand of the milk and milk based products in the country and rapid expansion of dairy industries has created huge opportunities for the skilled professionals in this industry. After the completion of the 4 year degree course the student can work in a company or he can go for postgraduate programme. Besides job opportunities, you can also start your own business such as small-scale milk plants, ice cream units, creamery and many others.
The graduate in this field are hired by the companies like:
- Mother Dairy
- Metro Dairy
- ITC (Food Division)
- COMPFED (Sudha)
The major job profiles in this field include:
- Dairy Technologist
- Dairy Scientist
- Dairy Medical Officer
- Industry Supervisor
- Market Development Manager
- Head Quality Control
- Product Development Manager
- Commodity Trading Manager
“In terms of salary packages, the Dairy Technology professional receives a good package in both public and private sectors”.
The salary in this field varies from company to company in which an individual is working. The starting salary for a fresher in this field could be Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 25,000 per month. After some experience an individual can easily go up to Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 60,000 per month.
Books & Study Materials
Here we have listed some popular books which have been compiled after the deep analyzing of other books available in the market. The dairy technology books are listed below:
- Cheese Technology by S. K. Kanawjia & Yogesh Khetra
- Fat Rich Dairy Products Technology by Kotilinga Reddy, Yogesh Khetra
- Information Technology in Dairy Industry by A.P. Ruhil, R.R.B. Singh
- Principles of Dairy Machine Design by S. Ravi Kumar
- Dairy Science and Technology, Second Edition (Food Science and Technology) by P. Walstra
- Modern Technology of Milk Processing & Dairy Products by NIIR Board
- Dairy Development in the New Millennium: The Second White Revolution by Mohan Pd. Shrivastave & Jaishankar Singh
For any other queries regarding Career in Dairy Technology, feel free to leave your comments below.