Career In E-Commerce
E-Commerce is a rapidly growing career field, coming up with thousands of jobs every year. That’s why it is one of the best options chosen by students to make their career.
Firstly, lets talk about what is E-Commerce?
E-Commerce (Electronic commerce) is a process buying and selling of products and services using computer networks like internet.
E-Commerce is conducted through various applications like email, online catalogs & shopping carts, Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) and other web services.
How did e-commerce get started?
E-commerce became possible in the year 1991 when the internet was opened for the commercial uses.
Benefits of E-Commerce:
- Companies can expand their market to national and international markets with minimum investments.
- E-commerce application provides lots of options and hassle free delivery of products to the users.
- It provides 24×7 support to the customers.
- More reach to customers, as comparing to other markets.
Also Check: Popular courses in Commerce Field
According to the recent report by Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI), it has been estimated that online travel sector will grow around 76% of the entire E-commerce market in a few years. Also a vast increase in around 50% is expected in the next 5 years in E-commerce area in India. Now days in India, everyone has an interest in doing online shopping, and is effectively indulge in online marketing. This is directly related to the bright future of E-commerce sector in India. Due to rapid growth of online marketing, the whole E-commerce sector in India is expected to have a bright future.
The online industry is expanding at a rapid pace not only in India, but also worldwide. Financial sectors like jobs & matrimonial, insurance, online classifieds, online transactions are expected to rise in future. Apart from the travel industry, digital downloads and e-tailing, that surrounds buy of home or kitchen appliances, electronic items and jewelry or ornaments will expand in future. According to a statement released by the IAMAI, the whole E-commerce market will take a high peak stand.
Courses & Eligibility
Various colleges and institutions of India offer a variety of courses in the field of e-commerce these include MBA, BBA & diploma courses. Here we have mentioned some most opted courses by students in this field:
Certificate & Diploma Courses:
- Certification in E-Commerce
- Diploma in E-Commerce
- Advanced Diploma in E-Commerce
- PG Diploma in E-Commerce & Web Technologies
- MBA in E-Commerce Management
- M.Sc in E-Commerce
- M.Sc in Information Technology & E-Commerce
- M.Sc in E-Commerce & Web Design
- PGPM in E-Commerce Management
Basic Educational Eligibility: Students can apply for undergraduate courses after passing their 12th or equivalent exam. For admissions in master courses, candidates must have completed their bachelors degree in related discipline.
- Good knowledge of World Wide Web and internet.
- Knowledge of Website Designing and E-Commerce applications
- Working knowledge of web creation applications such as Dreamweaver, Photoshop, CorelDraw, Fireworks, etc.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Focus on customer experience.
How do I enroll?
For admissions in these courses you should meet the eligibility criteria first. After checking your eligibility for particular course candidates can apply for it. Many institution offers admission directly on the basis of marks scored in the qualifying exam and some other institutions conducts entrance examination for selecting students for admissions.
Some MBA entrance examinations are listed here:
Best colleges to study E-Commerce are:
- Indian Institute of E-Commerce (IIEC), Bengaluru
- Institute of Business Management Studies (IIBMS), Mumbai
- Institute of Advance Network Technology (IANT), Gujarat
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya : Institute of Management Studies, Indore
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- Jiwaji University, Gwalior
Career & Jobs
“Today, there is a huge work force demand in the E-Commerce Industry.”
E-Commerce as a fastest growing sector offering lots of job opportunities to the qualified peoples. In India, the employment possibility is much better in the IT cities such as Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Bangalore.
Aspirants who have completed their degree can go for various e-commerce sectors in India. The sectors available for degree stakeholders are such as travelling/ticketing, retail and marketplace, deals, classified portal, education and many other sectors. The e-commerce sector is a constant growing sector and never shown a sign of decrement.
If you have a good knowledge and experience in e-commerce industry you can also work as an entrepreneur and setup your own e-commerce firm. since the last few years many entrepreneurs have succeeded in the e-commerce business.
After holding a degree in E-Commerce you can seek jobs in E-Commerce Companies, Online Auction Services, Software Solution Firms, E-Business Solutions Companies, Business Process Outsourcing and many others. There are various job profiles given below in which you can apply for after completing your degree.
Some Job Titles are:
- E-Business Consultant
- Customer Relation Manager
- Business Analyst
- Supply Chain Manager
- Project Manager
- Database Administrator
Top recruiters are:
“Mid-level E-commerce workers earn as much as senior IT employees.”
In India, you can expect a average salary in the field of e-commerce between Rs.2.5 to 4 lacs on the annual basis. Salaries will vary upon the position you hold in your working field.
With the advanced skill sets, good experience and a good educational degree in this field can easily help you to earn a handsome salary package.
Books & Study Materials
Here we are listing some good books to study E-Commerce:
- One-click: Jeff Bezos and the Rise of Amazon.com by Richard Brandt
- In the Plex: How Google Thinks, Works, and Shapes Our Lives by Steven Levy
- The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss
- Get Rich Click!: The Ultimate Guide to Making Money on the Internet by Marc Ostrofsky
- Convert!: Designing Web Sites to increase Traffic and Conversion by Benjamin Hunt
If you have any other queries related to Career In E-Commerce, feel free to ask us by commenting below in the comment box.