Bachelor Of Architecture (B.Arch)
Career in Architecture is attractive, lucrative, and has lots of potential in terms of development. The architectural degree is designed in such a way so that it fulfills the educational component of professional certifying bodies.
This field covers different works such as spatial design, safety management, aesthetics, material management, etc.
Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) is a well-known undergraduate bachelor’s degree programme of Architecture. Architecture is the art of planning, designing, and constructing buildings and other physical structures.
You can become an Architect after completing B.Arch education. Architects are the actual creators of amazing buildings and structures that exist in our surroundings.
Architect concentrates how to make people living simple and comfortable ranging from middle class to upper class & provide them shelter and housing with luxury and style.
The Architect can work according to the need of the client. The architect must be a combination of artist, professional and entrepreneur qualities.
The famous German Architect Walter Gropius said that: “Society needs a good image of itself. That is the true job of an architect.”
Also Check: Courses After 12th Science
Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) is a 5 year full-time duration programme. It is comprised of 10 semesters. It focuses on the subjects from the fields of engineering, arts and technology to the professional practice of architecture. B.Arch is a generous mix of both theory and studio exercises.
You can register with COA (Council of Architecture) after completing your B.Arch Degree. You can also pursue advanced courses in B.Arch that are given below:
Advance Architecture Courses:
- Master of Architecture (M.Arch)
- Ph.D in Architecture
The Disciplines of Architecture are: Transport Planning, History and Pedagogy, Interior Design, Urban or Rural Planning, Construction Management, Architecture Theory, Landscape Design, etc.
During the B.Arch Course duration and after completing this course, you can do an internship programme with an architecture firm or with some professional Architects to increase practical experience and better up job prospects.
Courses Content of B.Arch:
- Architecture Design
- Theory of Structures
- Building Construction
- Building Management
- History of Architecture
- Architectural Appreciation
- Architectural Drawing
- Building Science & Services
- Workshop Practice
Skills required to make career in B.Arch:
- Good communication skills
- Immense physical stamina
- Excellent memory
- Team spirit
- Creative Thinking Skills
- Observant Attitude
Eligibility & Admission
How I get admission in B.Arch?
- Candidates have to complete their 10+2 Examination with Mathematics and English as compulsory subjects & secure at least 50% marks in the examination.
- Those candidates have 10+3 year Diploma in any stream, they can also apply for B.Arch programme.
- Candidates can get admission in this programme through JEE Main 2020, NATA 2020.
- After completing your B.Arch course, you have a scope of higher study. You can apply for GATE 2020.
Top B.Arch Colleges in India:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- National Institute of Technology or NITs
- Punjab University, Chandigarh
- School of Planning & Architecture, New Delhi
- Government College of Architecture, Lucknow
- Government Engineering College, Trichur (School of Architecture)
- Government College of Architecture & Sculpture, Mamallapuram
Career & Jobs
The career opportunities for architects are very high because of the boom in the construction and designing fields. They are demanded in various government and private organizations.
You can work in the sectors of construction, urban planning, urban development corporations, public works departments, interior designing, etc.
Architects have lots of job opportunities in architect firms, universities, consultancy companies, etc. Global market, especially in the USA, Australia and Dubai provide attractive career and jobs for architecture graduates.
Architects can work in the office as well as in the construction site. In construction companies, they are working as a designer. You can also work independently and earn occupation through consultancy charges that is depend upon your skills, profile and experience.
As an Architect, your job in not limited to design corporate workplace rather than you have to design houses, colonies, apartments, hospitals, hotels, stadium, shopping complexes, schools, industrial complexes, etc.
Government Organizations offering jobs to the B.Arch Candidates such as Archaeological Department, National Building Organization, Ministry of Defense, Departments of Railways, Housing and Urban Development Corporation, Public Works Department, etc.
Some other organizations also hire architects are: Builders, State Departments, Consultants, Local Bodies for construction works, Architecture Firms, etc.
After completing graduation, you can go for the higher studies. You can pursue Master degree or further studies in architecture field.
You can also work as a lecturer in various Institutions.
You can also work with an architectural firm or under the supervision of a well-established architect.
As an Architectural Consultant, you can work in different construction companies.
- Data Analyst
- Architecture Designer
- Architecture Engineer
- Interior Designer
- Architecture Draftsman
- Staff Consultant
- Technical Assistant
- Project Assistant Manager
- Sales/Business development Manager
- Architectural Assistant
- Architectural Historian/Journalist
- Art Director
- Building Contractor
- Landscape Architect
- Jones Lang LaSalle Meghraj
- Manchanda Associates
- Architect Consultants
- VSA Space Design (P) Ltd.
- Edifice Architects Pvt.Ltd.
- Chitra Vishwanath Architects
- Sahara Group
As an architect, you can earn a starting salary about Rs. 4 Lac to Rs. 5 Lacs per annum. The salary will increase with your experience in this field. Candidates having a work experience of more than 5 years they can get salary in between Rs. 8 Lac to Rs. 10 Lacs per year. The salary is high in the private sector as compared to the government sector. In USA, Architect can earn a salary around $ 95000 per annum. The salary will also depend on your job profile, company, location & work experience.
Books & Study Material
- Architectural Drawing by David Dernie
- The Fundamentals of Architecture by Lorraine Farrelly
- ABC of Architecture by James F. O’Gorman
- Becoming an Architect: A Guide to Careers in Design by Lee W. Waldrep
- 101 Things I Learned in Architecture by Mathew Frederick
- Towards a New Architecture by Le Corbusier
- 10 x 10 (Architecture) by Editors of Phaidon Press
- Building Construction Illustrated by Francis D.K. Ching
- Basics Architecture 02: Construction & Materiality by Lorraine Farrelly
If you have any query about Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch), you can ask your query in the comment box.