Career In Biomedical Engineering
Planning a career in Biomedical Engineering?
Then, it is the right place for you to know about all the important topics about Biomedical Engineering.
Biomedical Engineering is the engineering techniques with organic sciences to improve the quality of healthcare, pharmaceutical and human life.
This field is gaining a huge popularity around the globe with its significant innovations in the medical field.
In a simple way we can say that:
“Biomedical Engineering is an interdisciplinary field of engineering courses that deals with the study of engineering laws and techniques that are applied in the medical field.”
This field tries to close the gap between engineering & medicine.
Biomedical engineers also known as Bio/Design/Clinical Engineers.
Biomedical engineer is the ocean of knowledge. As a biomedical engineer, they have knowledge of Maths, science, biology and medicine.
Biomedical engineers work at the intersection of engineering, the life sciences and healthcare.
The foundation of Biomedical Engineering lies in the basic sciences – Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
Biomedical Engineering was originated during the World War II.
It covers latest advances in the developing field of biomedical technology, instrumentation, and organization.
Courses & Duration
Biomedical engineers need much knowledge of both engineering and biology. Many colleges in India, offer undergraduate, postgraduate & doctoral degree in Biomedical Engineering. The Biomedical Engineering course include the study of Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Life Sciences, Biotech, Calculus, Materials Science, Principles of Design & Bio-mechanics.
Also Check: Courses After 12th Science
- Diploma in Biomedical Engineering
Undergraduate Courses (4 years):
- B.Tech in Biomedical Engineering
- B.Sc in Biomedical Engineering
- BE in Biomedical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Biomedical Instrumentation
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering
Postgraduate Courses (2 years):
- M.Tech in Biomedical Engineering
- M.Sc in Biomedical Engineering
- MS in Biomedical Engineering
- ME in Biomedical Engineering
- Master of Engineering (ME) in Biochemical Engineering & Biotechnology
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Bio-Medical Signal Processing & Instrumentation
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Biomedical Instrumentation
- Ph.D in Biomedical Engineering
Top Colleges in India offer Biomedical Engineering course:
- National Institutes of Technology, Raipur
- National Institutes of Technology, Rourkela
- Indian Institutes of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institutes of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institutes of Technology, Hyderabad
- Indian Institutes of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institutes of Technology, Kanpur
Skills required to become a Biomedical Engineer:
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Good observation, investigation, concentration, critical thinking skills.
- Dexterous and Alert.
- Computer knowledge and high-level software development skills.
Also Check: After 12th Courses
How I get admission in Biomedical Engineering?
- To get admission in UG courses, candidate has to pass their 10+2 examination in science. Candidate can apply for the JEE MAIN 2021 for admission to UG programme.
- Those candidates completed their bachelor degree in Biomedical Engineering can either opt for a job or they can go for further studies.
- If you are interested in pursuing a master’s degree, then candidate has a bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Engineering or any other equivalent branches of engineering degree and having a valid GATE 2021 score.
- MBBS Degree holder can also opt for a postgraduate degree in Biomedical Engineering.
Some other entrance exams in which you can appear for admission in Biomedical Engineering are:
- JEE Advanced 2021 (Joint Entrance Examination Advanced)
- BCECE 2021 (Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination)
- JCECE 2021 (Jharkhand Common Entrance Competitive Exam)
- UPSEE 2021 (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
- TS EAMCET 2021 (Telangana State Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test)
- AP EAMCET 2021 (Andhra Pradesh Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test)
Career & Jobs
Biomedical engineering is the fastest growing career in all over the world.
The most important aspect in Biomedical engineering is graduation education.
What do Biomedical Engineers do?
Biomedical Engineer is responsible for developing, designing and improving medical devices.
They are also responsible for the procedures for efficient diagnosis, operation and treatment of diseases and other health ailments.
Biomedical Engineering innovations examples are prosthetics, artificial limbs, imaging machines and different other medical devices.
Biomedical Engineer evaluates the safety, effectiveness and efficiency of biomedical equipment.
Where Biomedical Engineers work?
After doing Biomedical Engineering, you can be employed in public as well as in corporate sectors.
You can start your career in the hospitals, clinics and health care center.
As a Research Engineer, you can work in the research field. The job opportunities in the research field are very huge.
There are lots of opportunity in industries for innovating, designing, and developing new technologies.
Those people have a MS & PhD degree, they can usually work in research institutions and universities as biomedical engineers.
Bachelor degree holder can work with government organizations such as an Employment State Insurance Corporation and Rajiv Gandhi Center for Bio Technology and Bio Medical Engineering.
Many Foreign country research institutions, medical device consulting firms and pharmaceutical companies offers good job opportunities for B.Tech degree holder.
After gaining adequate experience in related field, biomedical engineers can work with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Clinical Engineers
- Bio-instrumentation Engineer
- Research Scientists
- Business Managers
- Technical Writers
- Bio-mechanics Engineers
- Patent Analyst
- Biomaterials Engineers
- Larsen & Toubro
- Stryker Global Technology Center
- Deloitte Consulting India Pvt Ltd
- BPL Healthcare
- Wipro GE Medical System
- Phillips Healthcare
- General Electric Global Research, Bangalore
- Texas Instruments Inc.
Biomedical Engineers are well paid as compared to the careers in many other engineering fields. Apart from other benefits and perks, you can get a starting salary varies between Rs. 2.5 Lakh to Rs. 3.6 Lakh per year. In the government sector, as a biomedical engineer, your salary start from Rs. 2 Lakh to Rs. 3 Lakh per annum depending upon the reputation of the organization. As you gained experience in this field, the salary is increases.
In abroad, the starting salary of biomedical graduate is $40,000 annually. A postgraduate biomedical engineer can earn a salary $61,000 annually.
Books & Study Material
Some good books to study biomedical engineering are listed here:
Smart Drug Delivery System by Ali Demir Sezer
State of the Art in Biosensors – General Aspects by Toonika Rinken
Optical Coherence Tomography by Masanori Kawasaki
Practical Applications in Biomedical Engineering by Adriano O. Andrade, Adriano Alves Pereira, Eduardo L. M. Naves and Alcimar B. Soares
Biomedical Engineering – From Theory to Applications by Reza Fazel-Rezai
Advances in Biomimetics by Anne George
For more information about Career in Biomedical Engineering, you may ask here.