“Biotechnology Engineering” is an emerging discipline of engineering which is a combined education of engineering and biology for research & development.
In other logical words, Biotechnology = Biology + Technology
When we use the technology to understand, study, and research & development the Bio-organism, micro-organism, living cell functions and related subjects, we need to have a sound knowledge of technology and biology.
Biotechnology Engineering is the best course to equip a student for this field.
Biotechnology Engineering is a combination of engineering, chemistry, genetics, bio-chemistry and microbiology.
Biotechnology Engineering applies in the field of animal husbandry, agriculture, energy production and conservation, pollution control, disease research, eco-conservation, and research and development of medicines, vaccines, fertilizers and insecticides.
Latest Application Forms Available
- Apply online for B.Tech from LPU University, Punjab. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from KCC Institute, Noida. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Chandigarh University, Mohali. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Avantika University, Ujjain. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Symbiosis University, Indore. Apply Now
“Biotechnology Engineering is a part of engineering that involves the technology and biological science for development in the field of medical, agriculture, security and bio-research”.
The credit for the development of the “Antibiotics” goes to the biotechnology.
Brewing was the earlier application of the biotechnology. The great biologist Louis Pasteur had discovered the fermentation in 1857 and that was the first step in the field of biotechnology.
Course & Duration
Biotechnology Engineering is an emerging and demanding field of engineering & technology.
In the course curriculum of Biotechnology Engineering, the students will get to use the engineering expertise to solve the problems and analyses in medicine and biology, agriculture and research, and development of vaccines.
For doing Biotechnology Engineering, you need to have the mathematics, chemistry, biology in 10+2 standard.
After completion of UG degree the students are designated as the Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Technology, depending on the University.
A bachelor degree usually covers the mathematics, biology, chemistry and computer.
You can choose the Biotechnology Engineering, once you have completed your 10 or 10+2 examination with mathematics and science.
The academic criterion of Biotechnology Engineering is divided into three courses/programmes as follows:
- Diploma courses leading to the polytechnic diploma of 3 years duration. (after 10th or 12th)
- UG courses leading to the B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) degree of 4 years duration. (after 12th)
- PG courses leading to the M.Tech (Master of Technology) degree of 2 years duration. (after graduation)
Beside these, it is a growing discipline in research fields leading to the PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) degree.
India has the best environment to advantage the research programme in the field of Biotechnology Engineering due to various climatically conditions, long coastal line and largest biodiversity.
The subjects that are involved in biotechnology are Mathematics, Applied Sciences, Computer Applications, Engineering, Genetics and Agriculture.
Biotechnology Engineering has expanded in various specializations as the following.
- Molecular Biology
- Animal Husbandry
- Problem Solving Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Communication Skills
- Team working skills
Students are admitted in undergraduate and postgraduate engineering courses in the field of biotechnology through entrance exam. The entrance exams are conducted at national level, state level and University level.
For admission to B.Tech/B.E. courses, you have to apply for JEE Main which is the national level entrance exam and conducted by CBSE. Admission into IITs & NITs is done through JEE Advanced which is the second stage of JEE Main. Besides this, the other popular entrance exams are AP EAMCET, TS EAMCET, VITEEE, KCET and many more.
Here, we are listing some best colleges for pursuing biotechnology engineering:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- Amity Institute of Biotechnology, Noida
- School of Biotechnology, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi
Jobs & Career
There is a big opportunity to get the highest paid and reputed job in the field of biotechnology engineering in India and abroad.
Biotechnology Engineering is the rapidly growing field. The demand of biotechnical experts has been growing nowadays. This field is a blend of many specializations. Those specializing in this field can easily seek jobs in private and government undertakings.
Various pharmaceutical companies, government & private research lab, analysis laboratories, agricultural research lab, clinical research bodies and various reputed and related organizations are hiring the Biotechnology engineers, at the current employment scenario.
The job titles of the Biotechnology Engineers:
- Lab Technician
- Research Scientist
- Research Associate
- Science Writer
- Sales Representative
- Quality Control Officer
There is an opportunity to get a job in government sectors and in public & private sectors.
Here are some reputed firms which require the Biotechnology engineers whenever (Biotechnology Recruiters):
- Hindustan Lever Ltd
- Thapar Group
- Indo-American Hybrid seeds
- Biocon India Ltd
- India Vaccines Corporation
- Hindustan Antibiotics
- Tata Engineering Research Institute
Yes. It is good if you are seeking for the higher degree as M.Tech or MS or PhD in one of the specializations of biotechnology engineering.
A fresher graduate can earn the initial package of 2.5 lakh per annum. After getting the experience of two or more years, he can get the double or multiple of it.
In abroad, you can get the average of salary as $100000 per annum.
Book & Study Material
The top recommended books in the field of Electronics and communication Engineering are as the following:
- 57Fe Mössbauer Spectroscopic and Density Functional Theory (DFT) Study on the Interactions of the Metal Ion with Monosaccharides
Yassin Jeilani, Beatriz H. Cardelino and Natarajan Ravi
- In Vivo Imaging: New Research
Rick Hough and Jared Camarillo
- Advanced Biologically Active Polyfunctional Compounds and Composites: Health, Cultural Heritage and Environmental Protection
Nodar Lekishvili, Gennady Zaikov, Bob Howell
- Advances in Biotechnology: A Practical Approach
Harish Kumar Dhingra, P.N. Jha and P. Bajpai
- Advances in Membrane Science and Technology
- Agricultural Biotechnology: An Economic Perspective
Caswell, Margriet F. ; Fuglie, Keith O. ; Klotz, Cassandra A.
- Bacteria in Environmental Biotechnology: The Malaysian Case Study-Analysis, Waste Utilization and Wastewater Remediation
Wan Azlina Ahmad, Zainoha Zakaria and Zainul Akmar Zakariab
- Bioactive Compounds: Types, Biological Activities and Health Effects
Ahmed Bitterlich and Sahar Fischl
- Biocatalytic Technology and Nanotechnology
Zaikov, G. E.
- Bioceramics: Properties, Preparation and Applications
Wolffe Kossler and Jacob Fuchs
For any queries regarding Biotechnology Engineering, you may leave your comments below.