“Chemical engineering” is the branch of engineering stream deals with the design, control, construction, supervision, installing and operating of equipments and the plants for manufacturing the chemical products. It is also involved in the development of new methods for production.
Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering helps in providing man-made and synthetic material in replacement of limited natural material and resources. Chemical engineering overlaps the other technical fields like, nanotechnology, fuel cells, and biomedical engineering.
“Chemical Engineering is the science that deals with the principles which involves understanding and describing the chemistry, chemical properties, analysis, environment and their control”.
Latest Application Forms Available
- Apply online for B.Tech from Uttaranchal University, Dehradun. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Manipal University, Karnataka. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from SRM University, Chennai. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Bennett University, Noida. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Alliance University, Bangalore. Apply Now
Chemical engineering contains manufacturing paints, plastics, fuels, medicines, fibers, fertilizers, papers, semiconductors and others. A chemical engineer carries out the chemical experiments, resulting purification and cleaning technology for protecting the environment.
Course & Duration
In India, there are several chemical industries and several are moving to our country from abroad. It is a sign of better opportunities for the chemical engineers. Chemical engineering is the broadest field of research and development and this thing offers the various courses in this field.
Several universities and colleges are offering the academic programmes in the field of chemical engineering. There are four types of programmes in textile engineering in India as the following:
- Diploma courses
- UG degree courses
- PG degree courses
- Integrated degree courses
- Doctoral courses
The required minimum qualification for these courses is 10+2 with science. The diploma courses are leading to the polytechnic diploma. The duration of the diploma courses is 3 years after the completion of 12th standard.
The undergraduate degree programmes are leading to the B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) degree courses and the B.Sc (Bachelor of Science) degree courses. The duration of the UG degree courses is 3 – 4 years after the completion of 12th standard.
The postgraduate degree programmes are leading to the M.Tech (Master of Technology) degree courses and the M.Sc (Master of Science) degree courses. The duration of the PG degree courses is 2 years after the completion of undergraduate degree programmes.
Some of the universities offer integrated degree programmes leading to the M.Tech (Master of Technology) degree courses. The duration of the integrated degree courses is 5 years after completion of 12th standard.
The all domains of courses in the field of chemical engineering are as the following:
- Diploma in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (BE) in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Chemical Engineering
- Master of Engineering (ME) in Chemical Engineering
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Chemical Engineering
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Chemical Engineering
- Integrated five year M.Tech in Chemical Engineering
For admission in polytechnic diploma programmes and the UG degree leading to the B.Tech degree courses, the candidate must have passed the plus two examinations/12th class/10+2 with the minimum of 50% with science subjects out of chemistry, mathematics and physics.
Many of Indian colleges or the universities have marked the criterion of entrance examination before the admission in any of the above programmes. Some of the entrance examinations are as the following which are conducted by the various universities in India:
· JEEP (Joint Entrance Examination Preliminary)
· AIJEE (All India Joint Entrance Examination)
· GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test Examination)
For admission in diploma courses leading to the polytechnic diploma, the candidates must have to appear in JEEP entrance examination, and for admission to UG programme, the candidates must have to appear in JEE (Main) entrance examination. Some of the universities conduct their own entrance examinations.
The admission is based on the minimum 50% marks in the qualifying examination and the score in the entrance examination, followed by the counseling and personal interview.
For admission to PG programmes, the students need to attain the GATE entrance examination after the completion of UG degree in the same or equivalent field.
The specializations in the field of chemical engineering are as the following:
- Electronic Materials
- Biomedical Engineering
- Process Engineering
- Food Processing
- Electronic Engineering
- Electronic Materials
- Process Control
- Biochemical Engineering
Some of the preferred books and references in the field of chemical engineering are as the following:
- Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering by Warren L. McCabe
- Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering by H. Scott Fogler
- Introduction To Chemical Engineering byJ.T. Banchero
- Chemical Reaction Engineering by Octave Levenspiel
- The Safety Relief Valve Handbook: Design and Use of Process Safety Valves to ASME and International Codes and Standards by Marc Hellemans
- Principles, Practice and Economics of Plant and Process Design by Gavin Towler
- Chemical Engineering Volume 6 by R.K. Sinnott
- Design and Application Centrifugal Pumps by Val S. Lobanoff
- Distillation Troubleshooting by Henry Z. Kister
- Essays in Brewing Science by Charles W. Bam forth
Jobs & Career
A chemical engineer is the man who uses the natural material or the waste material and turns that into the useful or less harmful for our use. The chemical engineer can work and help with the products like cosmetics, medicine, papers, food & drink, textile, fuel, oil & gas and metallurgy for furniture and vehicle.
The chemical engineers are commonly called as the “Universal Engineers” for their deep knowledge in both; engineering and chemistry. It proves that the professional can find the job in various fields. There is an opportunity to work with the any organization wherein the chemical research work has been done.
The chemical engineers may be employed in multinational companies, research organizations, oil & gas Industries, food industries, energy industries, chemical and allied products, utility companies, pharmaceuticals, government department and concerned agencies
In the field of chemical engineering, a fresh graduate may get the initial salary around Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 25,000 per month in India or $35000 to $40000 per annum in the US or abroad.
An experienced professional may get the higher post and remuneration around Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 50,000 per month in India or the $90000 to $100000 per annum in the US or abroad.
Some of the reputed recruiters in the field of chemical engineering are as the following:
- Indian Oil
- Piramal Healthcare