So many times the following questions arise in your mind:
How the pollution in air & water is controlled?
How contaminated waste sites are clean up?
Then you are thinking as an Environmental Engineer (Ecological Engineers) & Environmental Engineering as one of the Engineering courses is best for you.
What is Environmental Engineering?
Environmental Engineering is the main branch of engineering that concerned with the human population’s protection, environment protection & improve the environmental quality.
In a simple way, it is defined as:
Environmental Engineering is also the branch of applied science & technology that addresses the problem of preservation of energy, reducing waste from human and animal activities & production asset.
Environmental engineers use the principles of engineering, biology, chemistry & soil science to increase solutions to environmental problems.
Joseph Bazalgette is the first environmental engineer. In the mid 19th century, Bazalgette oversaw the development of the first huge scale municipal sanitary sewer system in London.
The most prominent environmental engineers are: William Nazaroff, Angelbert P. Esmolada, Abel Wolman, Robert A. Gearheart and Paul V. Roberts.
How to Become an Environmental Engineer?
You must have a bachelor’s degree in environmental engineering or relevant fields such as chemical engineering, civil engineering & general engineering.
Some undergraduate and graduate civil engineering programs offer concentrations in environmental engineering.
A graduate degree can open up the opportunities as an instructor at some colleges & universities, and also to do research and development.
It is very important to gain practical experience in environmental engineering. Students have to participate in an internship or cooperative engineering programs.
Various courses of Environmental Engineering are mentioned below:
- Diploma Course (Diploma in Environmental Engineering): You can pursue three-year full-time diploma course.
- Bachelor Degree (B.E & B.Tech): Bachelor’s degree programs in engineering are typically designed of 4 years. In the first two years, students study about Mathematics, introductory engineering, basic sciences, humanities, and social sciences & in last 2 years, students focus on one branch.
- Dual Degree (Bachelor + Master): Some colleges or universities offer a combined 5-year program that leads to both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree.
- Master Degree (M.E & M.Tech): The duration of this course is 2 years.
- Doctoral Degree: You can also pursue doctoral degree in Environmental Engineering.
Entrance Exam for UG courses – JEE Main 2023 and JEE Advanced 2023
Entrance Exam for PG courses – GATE 2023
Some employers prefer to hire students those are graduated from ABET-accredited programs. Education through an ABET-accredited program, the person becomes a licensed professional engineer.
Colleges that offers the Environmental Engineering courses in India:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
- National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli
- National Institute of Technology, Warangal
If you are interested to become an environmental engineer, then you should have passed the high school examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology & Maths including algebra, trigonometry, geometry and calculus.
- UG Course: For admission in UG course, students have to qualify their higher secondary school certificate (10+2) examination with science subjects.
- PG Course: The eligibility criteria for those candidates that want to pursue a PG course, they are holding a UG degree in B.E/B.Tech) or any other equivalent branches of engineering.
You may also check:
Environmental Engineering Related Degrees:
- Environmental Psychology Degree
- Environmental Toxicologist Degree
- Environmental Engineering Degree
- Environmental Geoscience Degree
- Environmental Biology Degree
There are many specialized fields within environmental engineering, some listed below:
- Public Health
- Radiation Protection
- Land Management
- Industrial Hygiene
- Wastewater Management
- Toxic Materials Control
- Air Pollution Control
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Design and Construction of Landfills
- Solid Waste Disposal
- Geo-Environmental Engineering
What is the Job Outlook of Environmental Engineering?
The employment outlook for environmental engineers is excellent. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment of environmental engineers will grow 15% by 2014 to 2024, faster than the average for all occupations.
If you have master’s degrees, then you have better opportunities to fill vacancies.
Where Does an Environmental Engineer Work?
Environmental Engineers can work in both public & private sector. They work in a small community, huge cities, and are in globally demanded. They are employed by a huge variety of organizations that includes government agencies, private consulting firms, construction firms, major corporations & major research universities.
Environmental Engineers usually work from an office while planning a design or working on environmental issues. However, they can also work at industrial sites during inspections or coordinate waste management activities.
What does an environmental engineer do?
Environmental Engineers are designing better approaches to improve the people’s life around the world while respecting the world’s natural assets.
They work on the problems of providing safe drinking water, improve & maintain the air quality, dispose of wastewater & other wastes, clean up contaminated groundwater, help the communities and industry to minimize the pollution & also many other activities.
Professional organizations environmental engineers belong to:
- American Society of Biological and Agricultural Engineers (ASABE)
- American Academy of Environmental Engineering
- Institute of Biological Engineering
- American Society of Civil Engineering
- American Engineering Ecological Society
Top Job Profiles
For young aspirants, there are various career opportunities in Environmental Engineering. Some of the famous Job profiles are given here:
- Seismic Acquisition Consultant
- Lead Project Engineer
- Senior ROV Technician
- Technical Engineering Manager
- Super yacht Housekeeper
- Drilling Personnel
- Marine Mammal Observer
- Reservoir Engineer
- Environmental engineering
- Field engineer
- Assistant policy specialist
- Air quality engineer
Environmental Engineers also work as a society worker, pollution control officers, designers, professors, planner & researchers. They can also seek jobs in different industries such as pharmaceutical companies, production firms and utilities.
Some of the famous private corporate firms that offer environmental engineers for different requirements:
- Dresser-Rand India Pvt Ltd
- SPML Infra Limited
- Sima Labs Pvt Ltd.
- Brunel India Pvt Ltd
- Privi Organics Limited
- The Indure Private Limited
- Kalpan Hydro Company
- Goodrich Corporation
Most important thing while studying the course:
What is the average Environmental Engineer Salary?
The median annual wage for environmental engineers in the USA is $80,890. In India, students who completed bachelor degree can earn Rs. 20,000 – Rs. 30,000 per month as a fresher. Those have a master’s degree, they can earn initially within the range of Rs. 35,000 to Rs. 50,000.
Ph.D Degree holder in Environmental Engineering can earn in between Rs. 50,000 – Rs. 75,000.
A licensed environmental engineer can expect a salary of Rs.1 lakh per month.
In the government sector, student can earn Rs. 12,000 to Rs 18,000 per month as a starting salary.
Most environmental engineer work full-time. Those engineers manage projects they can often work overtime more than 40 hours per week to monitor progress & ensure deadlines are met.
Books & Study Material
We are providing the best study material to become an Environmental Engineer.
- Standard Handbook of Environmental Engineering – Robert A. Corbitt
- Recycling Materials Based on Environmentally Friendly Techniques – Dimitris S. Achilias
- Urbanization, Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services – Thomas Elmqvist
- Pollution Prevention and Control – Paul Mac Berthouex , Linfield C. Brown
- Sustainability: A Comprehensive Foundation – Tom Theis, Jonathan Tomkin
For any other queries about Environmental Engineering, you can leave your queries below.
Environment engineering karna hai environment engineering ke bare me thodhi jankari chahiye
I want get admission environmental engineering but I leave in dehli ncr plz suggest me a college there are available environmental engineering plz