Guess the combination of technology with food. Food is simply the stuff that need to make us alive. Food is the plant, animals, vegetable, milk, glucose and many things what we eat.
Technology is the process of working with latest engineering methods & technique.
“Food technology is the science that compact with all technique and activities involved in preserving, processing and manufacturing the food stuff”.
All techniques and processing method to develop, research, manufacturing, production, preserve and process the food or related substance are covered by the food technology.
A food technologist work for the new method development for the food manufacturing and preserving for keeping the food safe and hygienic and enhance the color, flavor and resistance from the natural harms like microorganism and toxins.
The food processing organizations are involved in the processing, preservation, packaging, labeling development, quality management and research and development of the dairy products, food grains, confectionery products, fish products, meat & poultry products and fruit & vegetable products.
Science like chemistry, biology, engineering, nutrition and microbiology is used by the food technology to make the food safer and make available throughout the year in case of seasonal food.
Course & Duration
In the past, the food technology was adopted and discovered for just preserving and adding the flavor and color into the food stuff, but later on, by the development of science and engineering this technology has been used for the drying, de-caffeination, self-cooking food and for various research areas in the food science.
As deep as we are going into the dimensions of food technology, we require the experts and professionals in this field. The subject comprises of both science and engineering. Many academies and colleges in India have started to offer variety of courses in the field of food technology.
There are four types of programmes in the field of food technology in India. They are described as follows:
- Polytechnic diploma course with the duration of 3 years after 10+2 examination
- Diploma Course in Food Analysis and Quality Assurance
- Diploma in Food Science Technology
- Diploma in Food Science, Preservation and Management
- UG degree courses leading to the B.Sc and B.Tech with the duration of 4 years after 10+2 examination
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Food Technology
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Food Science
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Food and Nutrition
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Food Preservation
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Food Engineering
- PG degree courses leading to the M.Sc and M.Tech with the duration of 2 years after the completion of UG degree in engineering.
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Food Science
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Food Technology
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Food and Fermentation Technology and Food Science
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Food and Nutrition
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Food Technology
- Doctoral degree courses leading to the PhD domain with the duration of 1-2 years after the completion of PG degree.
In these courses, the students are taught about the engineering and science techniques and activities which are involved in food processing, fermentation, preservation, microbiology, analytical chemistry, home science and flavor & color index.
For admission in diploma programmes and the UG degree leading to the B.Tech and the B.Sc degree courses, the candidate must have passed the plus two examinations/12th class/10+2 with the minimum of 50% with science subjects out of chemistry, mathematics, physics, biology, home science.
The students from the different domain in education degree in the UG programme such as the UG in hotel management, B.Sc with life science or the UG in home science may get the admission in PG degree courses in the field of food technology.
Many of Indian colleges or the universities have marked the criterion of entrance examination before the admission in any of the above programmes. Some of the entrance examinations includes the following, which are conducted by the various universities in India:
- JEEP 2021 (Joint Entrance Examination Polytechnic)
- CFTRI (Central Food Technological Research Institute Entrance Examination)
- IICPT (Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology Entrance Examination)
- GATE 2021 (Graduate Aptitude Test Examination)
For admission in diploma courses leading to the polytechnic diploma, the candidates must have to appear in JEEP entrance examination, and for admission to UG programme, the candidates must have to appear in JEE Main 2021 entrance examination. Some of the universities conduct their own entrance examinations. You can also get admission through NCHMCT JEE 2021 in various hotel management courses in different institutions.
The admission is based on the minimum 50% marks in the qualifying examination and the score in the entrance examination, followed by the counseling and personal interview.
For admission to PG programmes, the students need to attain the GATE entrance examination after the completion of UG degree in the same or related field.
The specializations in the field of food technology are as the following:
- Bakery and confectionery items
- Fruits and vegetables
- Oil and oil seed processing
- Meat- Fish
Some of the preferred books and references are as the following:
- Food Process Engineering and Technology by Zeki Berk
- Food borne Infections and Intoxications by J. Glenn Morris, Morris Potter
- Food Preservation Process Design By Dennis Held man
- Sensory Evaluation Practices By Herbert Stone, Rebecca Bleibaum,
- Wine Science By Ronald Jackson
- The Produce Contamination Problem by Karl Matthews, Gerald Sapers
- Starch: Chemistry and Technology by Roy Whistler, James Be Miller,
- Introduction to Food Toxicology By Takayuki Shibamoto, Leonard Bjeldanes
- Thermo bacteriology in Food Processing By C. Stumbo
- Microwaves in the Food Processing Industry by Bernard Schweigert, Richard Mudgett, Robert Decareau
- Statistical Methods in Food and Consumer Research by John Hawthorn, George Stewart, Bernard Schweigert
- The Chemistry and Technology of Pectin by Steve Taylor, Reginald Walter
- Practical Design, Construction and Operation of Food Facilities By J. Peter Clark
Jobs & Career
India is a growing country in order to the food industries. There are around 500 million high and medium class consumers and any industry that is involved in the food sector, do not want to spoil the opportunity to grab the consumers. That’s why the demand of food technologist is increasing day by day in India.
A professional in the field of food technology can find the employment in the field of food manufacturing plant, research and development labs, catering companies, food whole sellers, restaurant and the hospital.
People can choose the area of their working as per the interest of their subject. Some of the regulatory positions are also available by the introduction of new food law. There is a big opportunity to work with across the countries with multinational companies.
Some of the job profiles in the field of food technology are as the following:
- Food Technologists
- Organic Chemists
- Analytical Chemists
- Home Economists
- Research Scientists
- Senior Food Technologist
- Head Engineer
- Production Manager
- Assistant General Manager
- Senior Manager
Some of the reputed recruiters in the field of food technology are as the following:
- MTR Foods limited
- Dabur India Ltd
- Godrej Industrial Limited
- PepsiCo India Holdings
- Britannia Industries Ltd
- Nestle India Pvt Ltd
- ITC Limited
- Agro Tech Foods
- Parle Products Pvt Ltd
- Perfetti India Ltd
- Hindustan Lever Limited
- Cadbury India Ltd
- Gits Food Products Pvt Ltd
It is one of the best paying professional fields in India. A fresh graduate of food technology may get the 1 lakh to 1.5 lakh per annum. By getting some experience and higher degree you may get the 2.5 lakh to 4 lakh per annum.
Some of the reputed food industries offer the 6 lakh to 10 lakh per annum to the skilled, qualified, experienced and expert professionals. You may get the height of remuneration by gaining the lots of experience in this field.
For any other queries about Food Technology, you can ask us by leaving your queries below.