Are you curious about Process Engineering?…… so this article is a must read for you.
Here let me tell you about Process Engineering?
“Process Engineering is a branch of engineering courses which deals with the design, control, operation and optimization of physical, chemical and biological processes”.
Process engineering covers a vast range of industries like petrochemical, agriculture, chemical, advanced material, food, mineral processing, pharmaceuticals, etc.
Here’s some more things about Process Engineering…………
Most companies rely on process engineers to build up or invent the industrial process which can help to produce various materials like food, drinks, mineral water, etc.
The “Strategy of Process Engineering” by Dale F. Rudd and Charles C. Watson was the first textbook in this field published in 1968.
In simple words, we can say that Process engineering is the branch of engineering concerned with industrial processes, especially continuous process such as the production of petrochemicals.
Process engineers are the individuals who possess undergraduate degree in Process Engineering. Process Engineers uses chemistry principles to design and maintain chemical processes for manufacturers.
Process Engineering involves a method and process of obtaining products from raw materials. Through the process engineering, the raw materials are transformed into the usable product forms. It is generally done on bulk product processes like petroleum refining, water purification, and manufacturing of penicillin by synthesis.
Courses & Eligibility
How to become a Process Engineer?
Also Check – Courses After 12th Science
To start career in process engineering, you are required to pursue 4-years of Bachelor of Technology course leading to B.Tech degree. Students can start their career in this field with bachelor courses and for further studies after bachelor’s degree there are master courses are also available in this field.
Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) comprises of full-time study of 4 years divided into 8 semester while Master of Technology (M.Tech) has the duration of 2 years. Master of Science in Process engineering has also the course duration of 2 years.
Entrance Exam – JEE Main 2017
- M.Sc. in Process Engineering
- M.Tech in Chemical Engineering
- M.Tech in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- M.Tech in Industrial Engineering
Entrance Exam – GATE 2017
Who can pursue these courses?
Students must have passed 10+2 standard with PCM subjects for bachelor courses or students should hold a graduate degree in the related field of engineering from any recognized university to apply for master courses.
Admissions in 4-years of Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) course is done through entrance test. JEE Main is the renowned national level entrance test which offers admission to undergraduate engineering courses. It is conducted once in a year in the month of April. There are also many state level entrance test which provides entry to the engineering courses. Apart from this, various institutions also organize their own test for admitting students to their colleges.
The candidates wishing to take admission in 2-years of Master of Technology (M.Tech) course have to appear the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE). Students are admitted to various institutions on the basis of GATE scores.
Some best colleges to pursue courses in this field are mentioned here:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli
- National Institute of Technology, Surathkal
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science
“Along with education, skills are also important in this field.”
Skills required for a process engineer:
- Problem solving skills.
- Team management.
- Excellent technical skills.
- Auto CAD
- Knowledge of health & safety regulation.
- Excellent knowledge of process related standards.
- Good communication skills.
- Knowledge of software design, testing and development.
- Perform Risk Assessments
- Ability to balance time and cost constrains
- Perform process simulations
“Process engineering field requires a lot of creativity as well as experience.”
A process engineer can work in various fields like Oil and petrochemical companies, Engineering consulting firms, Plants that treat water, Chemical manufacturers, Pharmaceutical manufacturers, Companies specializing in recycling and environmental protection, Nuclear plants, Insurance firms that perform refinery inspections and many others.
Job opportunities are endless for a process engineer. At present, the demand of a process engineer is rising in both private and public sectors. In future, process engineers can move into senior engineer and supervisory positions.
Responsibilities of a Process Engineer:
- Develop and improve processes in manufacturing systems.
- Invent new ways to increase process efficiency.
- Make sure to complete projects on time, according to company standards.
- Collect records and make reports on process.
- Invent innovative solutions which can help to improve production.
- Inspection, testing and repair of equipments.
- Process Engineer
- Senior Process Engineer
- Chemical Engineer
- Food hygiene engineer
- Continuous improvement engineer
- Design authority
Many multinational companies recruits process engineer. Some of the companies are as follows:
- TCS Consultancy Services Ltd.
- Flextronics Technologies (I) Pvt Ltd.
- Shell Refining Company Berhad
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Onward Technologies Ltd.
“Salary Packages are really good in this field.”
The individuals specialized in process engineering are not highly demanded in India but also needed in foreign countries. In abroad, they are offered with high salary package with many other benefits.
In India, a process engineer can earn an average salary of between 4 to 5 lacs per year.
As a senior process engineer, the average salary is between 7 to 8 lacs per year.
Salary package is also depends upon the education, job profile, location, size of the organizations and various other factors. With a good experience and higher degrees salaries will be higher.
In USA, the average salary of a process engineer is more than $ 70K per year.
Books & Study Materials
Here we have listed some books which you can start with to understand the thinking and consideration of a process engineer:
- Perry’s Chemical Engineering Handbook
- Basic Engineering and Calculations in Chemical Engineering – David M. Himmelblau
- Elements of Chemical Process Engineering – D.S. Jones
- Distillation Design – Henry Kister’s
- The Properties of Gasses and Liquids – Polling, Prausnitz, and O’Connell
- Handbook of Chemical Engineering Calculations – Nicholas P. Chopey
- Principles of Principal Engineering – S.M. Henderson, Rober L. Perry, J.H. Young
- Process Engineering Equipment Handbook – Claire M. Soares
For more information regarding Process Engineering, ask your queries below.