Career In Production Engineering
Latest Applications Open 2019:
Production Engineering is a backbone of every industry. This field deals with the complete process of manufacturing a product of an industry.
What is Production Engineering?
“Production Engineering = Manufacturing Technology + Management Science”
In simple ways, Production Engineering refers to the designing and planning that goes into creating a product. Unlike Process Engineering which deals with the process involved in creating a product.
Production engineering uses the principles of engineering, technology, manufacturing and management science.
“Production Engineering (Manufacturing Engineering) is a branch of engineering which involves with the design, control, performance and continuous improvement of manufacturing systems to provide customers with high quality materials in an effective manner”.
Professionals who design process, materials and workspace specifications to ensure fast and efficient production are termed as “Production Engineer”. The goal of production engineers is to complete the production process in smoothest and cost-effective way.
The Production Engineering field includes activities like planning, design process, better use of resources, analyzing production, using cost control techniques, etc.
Production Engineers should be able to:
- Design efficient production process that benefits the company.
- Must be capable to handle the issues related to the productivity.
- Should be capable to utilize technical knowledge effectively to maximize productivity and profit.
- Have the responsibility to ensure that production is cost effective and feasible to the organization.
Also Check: Popular Engineering Courses
Courses & Eligibility
There are many universities in India, which offers diploma, undergraduate, postgraduate and Ph.D courses in the field of production engineering. Some most sought courses opted by students in this field are listed here:
- Diploma in Production Engineering (One year duration)
- Diploma in Industrial & Production Engineering (Three year duration)
Bachelor Courses (Four year duration):
- B.Tech/BE in Production Engineering
- B.Tech/BE in Industrial & Production Engineering
Master Courses (Two year duration):
- ME/M.Tech in Production Engineering
- M.Tech in Production Management
- M.Tech in Design & Production Engineering
- M.Tech in Product Design & Manufacturing
Ph.D Courses (Three year duration):
- Doctor of Philosophy in Production Engineering
For admissions in UG courses, candidates must have passed 12th with physics, chemistry and mathematics subjects. For postgraduate courses, you must hold a bachelors degree (BE/B.Tech) in the related discipline. Candidates seeking for applying for Ph.D course should hold a masters degree in the related field.
Looking for admission in these courses?
Many universities and colleges in India offer admission on the basis of ranks obtained in JEE Main 2019, GATE 2019 national level examination or some other state level exam while some universities organizes their own entrance exams for admissions.
Latest Applications Open 2019:
Through JEE Main, admission into undergraduate engineering courses is provided while admissions into postgraduate engineering courses is carried out through Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
If you are seeking admissions in IITs then you have clear the JEE Main and JEE Advanced national level exams to get eligible for admissions.
Some entrance examinations are:
- Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) 2018
- VITEEE 2019
- UPSEE 2019
- MH-CET 2019
- BVP CET 2019
- IPU CET 2019
- BITSAT 2019
Best colleges to pursue production engineering courses:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal
- B.R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad
- VIT University, Vellore
Bachelor’s degree is must to become the production engineer. The study of production engineering comprises of subjects like Engineering Materials, Machining Science, Welding, Forming, Casting, CAD/CAM/CIM, Tool Design, Process Engineering & Tooling, Mechatronics & management.
Career & Jobs
“There are enormous job options you will get after completing the graduation degree in production engineering.”
Production engineers are included in the every stage of production; from the raw materials to the final produced goods. Production engineers can easily find jobs in private and government sectors.
With a degree in production engineering you can get jobs in automobile industries, manufacturing industries, food processing industries, IT companies, construction industries, refining industries and many other government and private departments.
- Production Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Engineering Plant Production Manager
- Quality Engineers
- Industrial Managers
- Operations Analyst
- Management Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
Production engineers are in great demand in manufacturing industries. Job opportunities exists in manufacturing organizations occupied in implementation, development and management of new production processes, assembly and handling.
In multinational companies, a production engineer controls a manufacturing department etc. Experience matters a lot in this profession. The job offers lucrative salary to experience people.
Individuals can also go for higher studies. After getting bachelor’s degree they can opt master’s courses followed by research programmes. Candidates having master’s degree can also choose their profession in teaching field as many top colleges recruits professionals of this field for lecturer jobs. Pursuing MBA is always beneficiary for a production engineer. After gaining 2 or 3 years experience, you can go for executive MBA.
Top Recruiters who recruit production engineers are:
- National Thermal Power Corporation
- Aditya Birla
- Larsen & Toubro
- Indraprastha Gas Limited
- Cairn India
- Reliance Industries
- Sterlite Industries
How much salary a production engineer earns?
A production engineer in India, can get an average salary of Rs.2.5 lacs per annum. The government sector, salaries are offered as per the government guidelines while in private sectors they can earn more depending upon their skills, education, etc.
In the United States, average salary of a production engineer is around $70 k per annum. With a good experience in this field, you can easily get a high paying job.
Books & Study Materials
Are you looking for some good books to study production engineering?… Here we are listing some best books in production engineering:
- Fundamentals of Metal Casting Fundamentals of Metal Casting by P C Mukherjee
- Welding and Welding Technology 1st Edition Welding and Welding Technology 1st Edition by Richard L Little
- A Text Book of Production Engineering by P.C. Sharma
- Production Technology: Manufacturing Processes, Technology and Automation by R.K. Jain
- A Text Book of Production Engineering (Manufacturing Processes) by P.C. Sharma
- Introduction To Basic Manufacturing Processes And Workshop Technology by Rajender Singh
- Production Engineering Research and Development by Marion Merklein
- Second Edition Textbook of Production Engineering by K.C. Jain, A.K. Chitable
- Design of Experiments in Production Engineering by Davim, J. Paulo
If you have any other queries regarding Career In Production Engineering, you may ask us by leaving your comments below.