“Textile engineering” is one of the popular disciplines of engineering fields. It is a big research field of technology. Textile engineering spins around the garment, color and fabric line of industries.
“Textile Engineering is the science that deals with all activities and methods which are involved in the process of textile manufacturing”.
Textile engineering contains the principles, law and scientific techniques which are utilized for development and manufacturing the textile fabrics and all type of yarns. It also involves the study of principles of science that deals with the analysis of polymers involves in the formation of textile fiber.
Latest Application Forms Available
- Apply online for B.Tech from Uttaranchal University, Dehradun. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Manipal University, Karnataka. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from SRM University, Chennai. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Bennett University, Noida. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Alliance University, Bangalore. Apply Now
There are over the thousand textile mills across the country. The textile sector plays a role in the growth of Indian economy. There are two types of textile sectors in India as one is handloom sector and second is mechanized sector.
Course & Duration
Textile engineering is about to the design and control of the fiber, apparel and textile process, machinery and products. India is one of the top cotton agriculture countries around the world. We are rich with the cotton & silk farming.
Many universities and colleges have been launched the specialization courses in textile manufacturing / textile engineering. In the curriculum of these courses, the students get to know about the interaction of material with machine, natural and man-made materials, energy conservation, pollution, waste control and safety and health.
There are four types of programmes in textile engineering in India as the following:
- Polytechnic diploma course with the duration of 3 years after 10+2 examination
· Diploma in Textile Technology / Textile Engineering
· Diploma in Fabrication Technology & Erection Engineering
- UG degree courses leading to the B.Tech with the duration of 4 years after 10+2 examination
· Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Textile Engineering
- PG degree courses leading to the M.Tech with the duration of 2 years after the completion of UG degree in engineering.
· Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Technology
· Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Engineering
· Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Textile Chemistry
- Doctoral degree courses leading to the PhD domain with the duration of 1-2 years after the completion of PG degree.
For admission in polytechnic diploma programmes and the UG degree leading to the B.Tech degree courses, the candidate must have passed the plus two examinations/12th class/10+2 with the minimum of 50% with science subjects out of chemistry, mathematics and Biology.
Many of Indian colleges or the universities have marked the criterion of entrance examination before the admission in any of the above programmes. Some of the entrance examinations are as the following which are conducted by the various universities in India:
- JEEP (Joint Entrance Examination Preliminary)
- JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) Main
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test Examination)
- JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) Advanced
- UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination
For admission in diploma courses leading to the polytechnic diploma, the candidates must have to appear in JEEP entrance examination, and for admission to UG programme, the candidates must have to appear in JEE (Main) entrance examination. Some of the universities conduct their own entrance examinations.
The admission is based on the marks in the qualifying examination or the score in the entrance examination, followed by the counseling and personal interview.
For admission to PG programmes, the students need to attain the GATE entrance examination after the completion of UG degree in the same or equivalent field.
The specializations in the field of textile engineering are as the following:
- Technical Textiles
- Knitting and Knit CAD
- Weaving and Weave CAD
- Coloration Technology
- Yarn and Non-woven Technology
- Textile Materials and Performance Evaluation
- Textile chemical technology
- Fiber science technology
- Computer application in textile
Jobs & Career
“Textile Engineers are highly demanded in public as well as private sectors”.
There are numerous big multinational companies in India and origin from India. Beside these several MNCs from abroad are expanding the plant in India and looking for the experts and graduates in textile engineering. It is a big opportunity for the candidates who choose this field as the career for themselves.
By the globalization of the business, we bring various technologies in our country. With the development and continual research, our textile industries play the vital role in Indian economy and provide the employment opportunities for the graduates in textile engineering.
An engineer from textile can find the job in quality control, sales technical, R&D, production control, process engineering, corporate management, planning and maintenance of textile machineries.
Some of the job profiles in the field of textile engineering are as the following:
- Process Engineer
- Technical Salesperson
- Operations Trainee
- Sales Manager
- Development Engineers
- Quality Control Supervisor
- Medical Textiles Engineer
- Technical Services
Some of the reputed recruiters in the field of textile engineering are as the following:
- Mysore Silk Factory
- Grasim Industries
- Bombay Dying
- Arvind Mills Ltd
- JCT Limited
- Lakshmi Machine Works
- Lakshmi Mills
- Bhilwara Group
- Reliance Textiles
- Rajasthan Petro Synthetics
The career in textile industries is one of the lucrative fields. The salary structure of the government sector is different from the private sector. In government sector, a fresher can get the Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 12,000 per month, while in the private sector; a fresher can get the Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 25,000 per month.
The salary will rise according to your practical experience and skills. Within period of two years in an industry, you may get the 3-5 lakh per annum.
“With some good experience and higher qualification, you earn beyond the limits”.
Books & Study Materials
Some of the preferred books and references are as the following:
Eco-Friendly Textile Dyeing and Finishing Editor Melih Günay
Woven Fabrics Editor Han-Yong Jeon
Advanced Topics in Measurements Editor Md. Zahurul Haq
Applied Measurement Systems Editor Md. Zahurul Haq
Textile Dyeing Editor Peter J. Hauser
Natural Dyes Editor E. Perrin Akçakoca Kumbasar
Advances in Treating Textile Effluent Editor Peter J. Hauser
Advances in Modern Woven Fabrics Technology Editor Savvas Vassiliadis
Woven Fabric Engineering Editor Polona Dobnik Dubrovski
Electricity Infrastructures in the Global Marketplace Editor T. J. Hammons
For any other queries about Textile Engineering, you may leave your queries below in the comment box.