Career In Thermal Engineering
By the word thermal, it is understood that it is related to heat and temperature.
Concept of heat in engineering is studied under Thermal Engineering.
“Thermal Engineering is the discipline of mechanical engineering that involves the study of controlling heating and cooling processes in an enclosed or open environment using various equipments”.
Concept of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer and mass transfer is used in thermal engineering.
Good knowledge of Thermal Engineering is required for designing, compressor/condenser/evaporator coil/insulation used in the air conditioner and refrigerators. Thermal engineering is mostly practiced by Chemical Engineers and Mechanical Engineers.
Thermal Engineers are the professionals who are specialized in thermal engineering. The candidates of mechanical engineering and chemical engineering can also be specialized in thermal engineering.
Courses & Duration
How to become a Thermal Engineer?
Thermal Engineering is basically offered at postgraduate level. To pursue postgraduate courses in thermal engineering, one must have pass the B.E./B.Tech either in:
Minimum educational qualification of 10+2 with PCM is required to apply for the B.Tech/B.E. course. 50% qualifying marks is required for the general candidates and 45% for SC/ST students.
Also Check: Courses after 12th Science
Courses offered in thermal engineering are mentioned below:
- PG Courses leading to Master of Technology in Thermal Engineering (M.Tech) degree – 2 years duration
- Post Graduate Diploma in Thermal Power Plant Engineering – 1 year duration
- Doctor of Philosophy in Thermal Engineering – 3 Years duration
Specialized fields of thermal engineering are as follows:
- Heat Transfer and Thermal Power
- Thermal Science and Energy Systems
- Thermal System Design
- Thermodynamics & Combustion Engineering
- Refrigeration & Air Conditioning
- Thermal Turbomachines
- I.C. Engines
Also Check: Top Engineering Courses
For admission to M.Tech programme, B.Tech in relevant discipline is required. Candidate’s holding master’s degree in thermal engineering can apply for the doctoral courses for advancement in studies.
How to apply for admission in Thermal Engineering courses?
Admission to the B.Tech/B.E programme is carried out through JEE Main 2023.
Aspirants seeking admission to the M.E./M.Tech programme are required to appear the postgraduate level entrance examination. Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE 2023) is the largest national level examination conducted by the joint committee of IIT’s and IISc. Admission to the M.Tech programme will be done on the basis of merit scored by the candidate in GATE.
Some institutions also conducts their separate exam for admitting students to the M.Tech programme. If you are seeking admissions in IITs, then you have clear the JEE Main and JEE Advanced both examinations. The entrance tests are conducted at national, state and university level. You can appear in the examination as per your preferences.
Some popular engineering entrance exams are listed below:
- JEE Advanced 2023
- BITSAT 2023
- AP EAMCET 2023 (Andhra Pradesh Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test)
- TS EAMCET 2023 (Telangana Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test)
- Post-Graduate Engineering Common Entrance Test (TS PGECET 2023)
- VIT University Master’s Entrance Examination (VITMEE 2023)
- Central University Common Entrance Test (CUCET 2023)
Top engineering colleges offer courses in thermal engineering are listed below:
- National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur
- National Institute of Technology, Rorkela
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Amity University, Gurgaon
- BITS Pilani
You may also check:
“Lot of career opportunities available for thermal engineers”.
Thermal engineers are required in the industries/companies that manufactures heat exchangers, A.C.s, Refrigerator, etc. They can also work in thermal power plants and hydro-electric power plant.
Career option in teaching field is also available for the candidates having postgraduate degree in thermal engineering.
Professionals of this field are generally recruited by the production firms. You can also get teaching jobs in various reputed universities and colleges.
After pursuing a degree in this field, you can easily find job opportunities in various areas like Engineering Equipment Industries, Nuclear Power Stations, Pollution Control Agencies, Space Research Organization, Oil Exploration and Refining, Thermal Power Stations, Energy Conservation Department, etc.
Roles of Thermal Engineer:
- They design and constructions of systems for heating and cooling.
- To pay attention in every aspect of heat generation and its solution in the electronic systems.
- Design and analyze project reports.
- Develop and test spacecraft, thermal control systems, etc.
- Chief Design Engineer – Thermal Layout
- Safety Engineer – Thermal Systems
- Design Manager – Thermal
- Project Engineer – Solar Thermal Power Plant
- Lead Engineer – Generator Design (Thermal Power)
- Piping Designer
- Maintenance Engineer
- Thermography Programme Manager
- Stress/ Finite Element Analyst
- Boiler Thermal Performance Engineer
There are various reputed companies and organizations which recruit thermal engineer. Some top recruiters are listed here:
- Qualcomm India Pvt Ltd.
- Airbus Group India Pvt. Ltd.
- Tata Consulting Engineers Limited
- Pentagon Global Solutions Ltd.
- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.
- Hyundai Motors Ltd.
- Hindustan Motors
- Maruti Suzuki Motors Ltd.
- TATA Motors Ltd.
- Ashok Leyland
“Thermal Engineers are awarded with attractive salary packages in the public and private sectors”.
Salary depends upon the factors like experience, job profile and location. Salary offers to entry-level candidates is lower than experienced ones.
In India, Candidate can expect the annual salary of around 3 lacs in the field of thermal engineering. The figure of salary is different in abroad.
In US, the average salary of thermal engineer is $81824.
Books & Study Materials
Here, we have listed some books that helps you in the study of thermal engineering:
- The CRC Handbook of Thermal Engineering by Frank Kreith
- A Textbook of Thermal Engineering by R.S. Khurmi, J.K. Gupta
- Introduction to Fluid and Thermal Engineering by Allan D. Kraus, James R. Welty, Abdul Aziz
- Introduction to Thermal Systems Engineering by Wiley
- Engineering Fluid Mechanics by Prof. K . L . Kumar
- Thermal Engineering – Engineering Thermodynamics & Energy Conversion Techniques by P.L.Ballaney
- Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes by Duffie
- Thermal Engineering (Thermodynamics and Heat Engines) by Dr.S.S.Khandare
- Thermal Science and Engineering by Dr. M.L.Mathur & Prof. F.S.Mehta
- A Textbook of Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machines by R.K. Bansal
For more information about Career In Thermal Engineering, you may ask us by commenting below.