Journalism is one of the fastest emerging career fields among the today’s young generation. “The pen is all time powerful than the sword”. This is one of the basics of journalism. In today’s world, people want to be aware all about the activities in the country, if it is about politics, celebrities, science and culture of India or from international affairs.
Journalism is a proper way of communication between the news and the people. Journalism is basically depends on the principle of truth, editorial independence and disclosure. By the growing trend of media and technology, the people are being in touch through the radio, television, mobile, social media and the internet by the great efforts of the mass media.
Journalism is spreading the information and communicating through the emerging technology and the journalist is playing the vital role in this practice. A journalist covers the information about the business, culture, politics, arts, economics, history, entertainment and sports.
ADMISSION OPEN 2019
- MIT World Peace University, Pune B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- DIT University, Dehradun - B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Symbiosis Institute of Technology B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chitkara University B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chandigarh University (Ranked 1 in North India) - Application Open.
These days, the young generation is moving towards the professional courses in journalism. If you are bold, hard-working, talkative and talented, the career of journalism will suit you and you may have good future ahead.
There are so many events happening in around the world and we can see all stuff from our home. You know why? Because, mass media is providing the information to the large crowd at the same time, but, someone would have collected the information from the event site, this is the main role of a journalist.
Several Indian universities and college offers the graduate degree courses in journalism and mass media. Some private institution also offers the diploma courses in journalism. These are professional courses and can be pursued after the completion of 12th class.
If you have flair to writing, you may join the professional programme to sharpen your career in this field. You may pursue the courses in journalism or mass communication if any of subjects you had in 12th standard.
- B.A. with Journalism – 3 yrs
- Bachelor in Journalism (B.J) – 3 yrs
- Bachelor in Journalism and Mass Communication (BJMC) – 3 yrs
- B.A. with Mass Media – 3 yrs
- B.A. in script writing – 3 yrs
- BA in Convergent Journalism
- BA in Journalism and Communication Studies
- B.Sc in Mass Communication and Journalism
- B.Sc in Mass Communication, Journalism and Advertising
- Bachelor in Media Science
- Diploma in Journalism & Mass Communication (DJMC) – 2 yrs
- Diploma in Journalism (DJ) – 1 yr
- MA in Convergent Journalism
- MA in Broadcast Journalism
- MA in Journalism & Mass Communication
- MA in Journalism
- M.Sc in Mass Communication, Advertising & Journalism
“After completing a master course in this field, you can also opt Ph.D (Journalism and Mass Communication) programme”.
For admission in journalism courses, the candidate must have the 12th pass in any stream. There are some entrance exams conducted by some private universities for admission to their diploma and degree level journalism courses, Indian institute of mass communication (IIMC 2019) is a government institute under Ministry of information and broadcasting (MIC) conducts entrance exam for diploma and PG diploma courses.
The skills that required in the candidate for the admission in these courses are alertness, investigative mind, tolerate of difficult situation, English language proficiency, good communication skill, enthusiasm, confidence, patience, view on fact and fiction in-depth knowledge in culture and current affairs.
Some top colleges to pursue journalism courses are mentioned here:
- Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media (IIJNM), Bangalore
- Symbiosis Institute of Mass Communication (SIMC), Pune (SET 2019)
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC), New Delhi
- Mudra Institute of Communications (MICA), Ahmedabad
- Asian College of Journalism, Chennai
- Xavier Institute of Communication (XIC), Mumbai
“There are ample of job opportunities are available in the field of Journalism”.
The career options in the field of journalism are bifurcated into two divisions as the following:
- Print journalism
- Electronic journalism
The print journalism involves the newspaper, magazines, journal, digests and text print media agencies. The electronic media involves the TV, internet and radio. The web journalism is one of the fastest growing divisions of journalism and is very effective that connect the word at the same time.
There is the best career opportunity in journalism field. From the last 15-20 yrs, the world of journalism or media has been changed thoroughly. Now, the involvement of social media and internet network has brought the flood of jobs and opportunities in this field.
The news channels are mushrooming in India at very fast rate. The number of the blogs is increasing day by day and in the same proportion the demand of professional in media and journalism is growing.
Job profiles in the field of print journalism are as the following:
- Associate Editor
- Proof Reader
- Correspondent/Special reporter
- Feature writer
- Leader writer
Job profiles in the field of electronic journalism are as the following:
- Production Workers
- Floor Managers
- Transmission Executives
- Sound technicians
- Camera workers
At very initial level, the candidate will get the salary of 5000 – 10000 per month. After getting experience in hand, he/she may get the Rs. 15,000 – Rs. 25,000 per month. Many times the remuneration is depends on the reputation, status and salary policy of the organization. An expert having sound experience and good platform may earn the Rs. 50,000 – Rs. 1,00,000 per month.
- NDTV Network
- Hindustan Times Group of Publication
- Zee TV Network
- Times of India Publication Group
- Big Entertainment
- TV 18 Groups
Books & Study Materials
Choosing right books for studies helps a lot in your education. Here we have listed some books which can be very helpful to study journalism and its facts:
- The Collected Essays, Journalism and Letters, Volume II (2000) By George Orwell
- The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law by Associated Press
- The New New Journalism by Robert S. Boynton
- The Elements of Journalism by Bill Kovach and Tom Rosenstiel
- The News about the News by Leonard Downie, Jr. and Robert G. Kaiser
- How to Write Articles for Newspapers & Magazines by Arco
- The Newspaper Designer’s Handbook by Tim Harrower
For any other queries about Journalism, you may leave your queries below in the comment box.