Career In Civil Law
If you want to start your career as a lawyer then career in civil law is one of the best career options.
Lawyers are an important part of society. After passing law degree, you are designated as lawyers.
Civil law deals with the cases of divorce, child custody, property ownership, disagreements of contracts, personal and property damage.
In Simple words, “Civil Law is the branch of law that has the concern with private relations between members of the community”.
Civil law deals with the disputes between individuals and organizations. Disputes between partners, family members, employers, employees on contract is handled by the civil lawyers.
In the countries like England, Wales and United States, the term civil law is referred as “non-criminal law”.
In civil law, the wrong doer has the chance to accept his/her mistake or settle a dispute by paying compensation. This brings justice with the culprit legally.
There are four types of civil law namely torts, contract law, family law and personal disputes. The cases that do not involves the breaking of criminal laws comes under civil law.
Civil law is derived from the law of ancient Rome.
Also Check: Popular Law Courses
Courses & Duration
Candidates who wish to pursue their career in legal profession in civil law are required to take the postgraduate law degree.
Civil law is one of the most sought specialization in law available at postgraduate level.
Masters of Law (LLM) in civil law takes 1 year for the completion. Candidates can pursue LLM course after bachelors of law (LLB). Candidates having background in any field can take admission in the bachelors course after passing 12th level education.
To pursue the civil law programme, students should be well-qualified & have sufficient knowledge about the Constitution and the legislations.
Students can also pursue diploma courses in civil law related to human rights, family laws, juvenile justice, women and others. Masters in Philosophy and Doctorate in civil law can be done.
Also Check: Courses After 12th
The eligibility criteria to get admission into LLM course in civil law are given below:
- Those students seeking admission into the LLM programme in civil law have to complete LLB degree.
- First, students have to pass three or five year Bachelor of Law (LLB) course, then apply for the LLM course in Civil Law.
- Students will get admission in the LLB programme after qualifying the 10+2 examination.
Admission to the 17 National Law Universities (NLUs) are granted through CLAT 2021. It is the well-known national level entrance examination conducted by the NLUs on rotation basis. Admission process of every college vary. Many Universities/institutions also organizes their separation entrance test for admission into law programme. Some of the exams are AILET 2021, SAAT 2021, CUSAT 2021, etc.
- AIBE 2021 (All India Bar Examination)
- LSAT 2021 (Law School Admission Test)
- AP LAWCET 2021 (Andhra Pradesh Law Common Entrance Test)
- TS LAWCET 2021 (Telangana State Law Common Entrance Test)
Top colleges/Universities offers degree in civil law are listed below:
- National Law University, Bhopal
- National Law University, Delhi
- Delhi Faculty of Law, Delhi University, Delhi
- National Law University, Jodhpur
- Symbiosis Law School, Pune
Take a look at Popular Law Entrance Exams in the country.
Civil law is the oldest field of law that offers a wide range of career opportunities.
The increase in the societal awareness amongst the peoples as well as about their rights has increased career opportunities in the area of civil law.
There are various job opportunities with diverse subjects, depending upon the specialization and interest of the student.
Lawyers specialized in civil law are hired by several government institutes, private law firms and nonprofit organizations, National Human Rights Commission and many more.
Career options for civil law postgraduates exists in teaching field also. They can become teachers and professors in the renowned Universities.
Professionals of civil law works for private clients, businesses or government entities to resolve disputes and legal issues.
Students can also prepare for higher posts such as judicial services & civil services.
Some other opportunities which a civil law graduates can do, i.e. Journalism, Publishing of Law related books & research papers, Politics, Policy Analysis & social work.
Jobs & Work Profile
After the clearance of the bar association exam, law graduate can practice as a lawyer & work on different cases related to the civil law.
Students who are qualified in the field of civil law can handle cases related to infringement of rights and liberties. These cases issues related to the employment, housing, education, expression & others.
Law graduates can also work with the International firms.
- Civil Lawyer
- Legal Advisor
- Social Worker
A civil lawyer job involves:
- Presenting cases to juries & judges
- Investigating official data
- Deciphering laws and rulings for persons, businesses and organizations
- Filing legal appeals in the state & federal court of appeals
- Negotiating settlements of legal disputes
- Formulating legal briefs
Also Check: Popular Arts & Humanities Courses
Earnings of a successful lawyer is beyond expectation.
In India, the salary of civil lawyer ranges from Rs 4 to 5 lacs per year. Civil Lawyer salary depends upon the qualification & experience. It is a job that offers good pay salary, prestige & recognition.
An Experienced lawyer in civil law earns more salary in private sector as compared to public sector. In US, the starting salary of civil lawyers ranges from $42,000 to $59,000 per year.
The salaries will be depended on which type of firm or organization you work for, type of work you don & in which country you work.
Books & Study Materials
Candidates can refer these books for studying civil law:
- Civil Law, Bar Review Companion by Andres D. Bautista, Marie Antonette, B. Quiogue
- Civil Law Reviewer: Volume 1 by Elmer T. Rabuya
- The Civil Law Tradition by John Henry Merryman
- Law in a Flash Cards: Civil Procedure Part I by Steven L. Emanuel and Joel William Friedman
- Civil Procedure (Law School Legends Audio Series CD)by Richard Freer
- Cases and Materials on Federal Indian Law by David Getches and Charles Wilkinson
- Civil Law & Litigation for Paralegals by Neal Bevans
For more information about Career In Civil Law, leave your comments below.