Career In Rural Development & Management
Are you interested in improving the well-being of people living in rural areas? If yes! then career in rural development is the bright option for you.
Career in Rural Development and Management is not only good from salary point of view but it also brings personal satisfaction.
Let us discuss the important aspects about how to make career in rural development and management.
What is Rural Development and Management?
Rural Development is defined as improving the standard of life of rural people that includes social, economical, political and spiritual development of the people living in rural area who are deprived from basic facilities.
Rural Management includes the study of managing the rural resources effectively. It includes planning and executing rural development programmes that profits the rural livelihood.
Study in rural management consists of all the concepts that can be applied in real life. Candidates will get the details about courses in rural development and management from here.
India is a country of farmers & villages, where more than 60% population lives in rural areas. These peoples cannot take the full advantage of the resources available in urban areas. To take care of the development of rural areas, the education in rural development & management is very demanding. Government hires professional rural managers to assist the villagers in the procedure of growth, improvement & expansion.
If you are really concerned about the country’s economic growth & want to improve the condition of rural areas, then it is the best opportunity for you.
Study in rural development & management has become one of the most sought courses to study & research at postgraduate level.
Graduates or Postgraduates of this field can find the lucrative job opportunities. You can get jobs in government or private sectors. You can also work in various NGO’s and organizations.
Courses & Eligibility
Candidates can start their career in rural development and management field by taking the related courses after 12th as available at diploma, bachelor and master level. Most sought rural development programmes offered by the reputed institutions are mentioned below:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Development
- Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Finance
- Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Marketing
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Rural Development
- Bachelor of Rural Technology and Management
- Master of Arts in Rural Development
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Rural Management
- M. Phil in Rural Development
- Ph. D in Rural Development
For Bachelor Courses – Minimum educational eligibility of 10+2 from a recognized educational institution is required for applying the bachelor’s courses.
For Master Courses – Those who have passed the bachelor degree in relevant stream can apply for the master courses.
- Friendly Personality
- Ability to handle Masses
- Ability to handle Pressure
- Leadership Skills
- Communication Skill
Many institutions provide admission on the basis of entrance test. To pursue Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Management from Institute of Rural Management Anand you are required to appear the CAT/XAT entrance examination. Admission to MBA programme in rural management will be done on the basis of the following entrance exams:
You can go for the studies in rural management and development courses from the following institutions:
- Institute of Rural Management, Jaipur
- Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta
- Institute of Rural Management Anand
- Amity School of Rural Management, Noida
- Xavier Institute of Management,Bhubaneswar
- National Institute of Rural Development (NIRD), Hyderabad
- National Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
Career & Jobs
India is the country having numerous rural areas. This will open a plenty of career paths for the candidates interested in this field. Employment opportunity in this field is wide.
Candidates specialized in rural management will become rural managers. Professionals of this field can apply in the government sector for the job of Village Development Officer (VDO).
Rural managers can also run their own NGOs or can work for a NGO.
The national NGOs are Nandi Foundation, PRADHAN, CARE, SEWA, BAIF, Seva Mandir, etc.
Rural Managers can work in rural co-operative sector, agri-business enterprises, agricultural marketing and management of agro products. Indian Institute of Rural Management which is the government-run institution also recruits candidates holding rural management degree.
Many colleges provides the placement assistance to its students by inviting companies to its campus.
You can also work with the non-governmental organizations.
You can also work on a contractual basis to manage developmental schemes & programmes.
There are huge career scopes not only in India but also in abroad.
Rural managers can work in all functional areas of management, such as human resource development, project implementation, general management, finance, marketing, purchase, in all segments of rural based enterprises.
As a rural manager, you can take up advisory, research & consultancy work with private & public organizations.
Companies that recruits rural managers are listed below:
- Tata Teleservices
- Shriram Group
- ICICI Bank
- Aditya Birla Group
- National/International NGOs
- Hero Group
- Mahindra and Mahindra
After completing your degree courses in rural development and management, you can apply for these jobs given below:
- Research Officer
- Rural Executives
- Rural Manager
- Senior Program Officer
- Project Co-ordinator/Project
- Rural Minister
Lucrative salary as well as self-satisfaction in this profession.
Salary in this field will increases gradually with experience. A fresher can earn the annual package of around 2 to 3 lacs in this profession.
After gaining some experience, you will get a better salary package.
If working in the government sector then your earning will depend upon the pay scale decided by the government.
Books & Study Materials
Here, we have listed some best books that you can refer for studies:
- Rural Development: Principles, Policies and Management by Katar Singh
- Rural Development Management by B.S. Bhatia, G.S. Batra
- Encyclopedia of Rural Management by Muniraju S.B., Manoj Kumar
- Rural Management by KB Gupta, Faizia Siddiqui
- Rural Development: Indian context BRDE 101 by GPH Panel of Experts
- Target 3 Billion: Innovative solutions Towards sustainable development by APJ Abdul Kalam and Srijan Pal Singh
- Research Methods in Rural Development by G Ramesh and s Nakkiran
- Rural development in India by G Sreedhar and D Rajashekhar
For more information about Career In Rural Development and Management, leave your comments below.