MBA in Operations
What is ‘Operation Management’?
Operation means the entire chain process of work.
Management means the proper utilization resources.
Operation management is a process, we can use in any manufacturing industry. It involves the whole type of management work that to be needed to convert the raw material into the final product.
On the other hand, we can say that:
The “Operation Management” is a function of implementing the strategy, design and process in product development, maintenance, quality, supply chain and inventory planning”.
It deals in responsibilities and decision-making and control over the entire work scenario in a company. Operation manager is one of the responsible and vital designations for any organization.
Operation management ensures that product is obtained in the efficient & cost-effective way by meeting the standards of customers.
MBA in operations prepare students to handle different aspects of business, such as planing, manufacturing, providing services or production with an attractive salary packages.
Operation management involves the strategic and tactical issues like location of manufacturing plant, structure of service, structure of supply chain, layouts, equipment selection, production schedule, project management methods, quality control, material handling and maintenance.
The key skills required for a good operation manager is as follows:
- Candidate must be able to understand the series of processes so that the work can be done efficiently.
- Good communication Skills – An operation manager should have effective communication with staff members, their superiors and with customers so that the organization can smoothly work.
- Understand company financial condition
- Good leadership quality
Role of An Operation Manager
- The role of an operation manager is to oversee the production of goods and services in an organization.
- They administers various departments, such as purchasing, warehousing, and manufacturing.
- An operation manager has the responsibility to make sure that company is running smoothly and effectively.
It is the duty of an operation manager to see that the services/products provided by their company meets the expectations and requirements of customers and clients.
There are numbers of courses in operation management, some of after 12th and some of after graduation. The courses will be as the following:
- Certificate course in Operations Management – 1 year
- Advanced Certificate in Operations Management – 1 year
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Operations Management – 3 year
- Post Graduate Diploma in Production & Operation Management – 2 year
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Operations Management – 2 year/5 year (I)
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Operations Management – 2 year
There is a scope of doing certificate courses or B.Sc in operation management after the 12th. You may choose the BBA programme after the completion of your 12th standard. Basically, Operation Management is a specialization of management administration or management study.
If you have completed your plus two educations and wish to build your career in operation management, you should have leadership skills, deep knowledge in the process of your field and you must have the national and international level competence.
In this course, the students are taught about the strategic management, HR development, supply chain management, production management, quality management and leadership & managerial skills.
The whole course will be divided into six modules:
- Process analysis
- Product variety
The core subjects that candidates have to study in operations management will be as follows:
- Engineering, Industrial & Managerial Economics
- Financial Accounting
- Industrial Engineering Concepts
- Principles of Organization & Management
- Operations, Planning & Control
- Facilities Planning
- Operations Research
- Organizational Behavior
- Project Management
- Business and Managerial Ethics
- Safety, Health and Environment Management
- Logistics Management
- Manufacturing Systems and Service Operations
- Marketing Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations
Some best colleges that offers MBA in operations are listed below:
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Lucknow
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE, Mumbai)
To get the admission in MBA in operation management, you must be appearing in entrance examinations after the completion of your graduation. After 12th you may go for the Integrated MBA (5 Years), B.Sc in operation management, or certificate programme.
Some of the affiliated universities conduct their own admission examination. You can do the professional course in operation management while you had any stream in qualifying examination like engineering, medical, science, art and humanities. Candidates will have to appear in the CAT 2023, MAT 2023, XAT 2023, ATMA 2023, CMAT 2023 & other entrance test to get admission in management courses.
Jobs & career
The huge field for the career opportunity is ahead of the professionals in operation management. It is a good field for the career and job opportunity. The best part of this specialization is that, this fits in any industry, if it may the IT, Insurance, finance, manufacturing, HR, hospitality, retail, construction, transportation or consulting firm.
Some of the job titles of this field are:
- Operations Executive
- Assistant Manager Operations
- IT Operations Administrators
- Deputy Manager – Cinema Operations
- Area Operations Manager
- Retail Operations Manager
- Operations Manager
- Process re-engineering Managers
- Manufacturing consulting Managers
- General Operations Managers
- Plant Manager
- Channel Manager for GSM operations
It is a well-paid field. A well-experienced graduate in OM specialization can earn the 2 lakh to 3 lakh per annum. The remuneration is a subject of the geographic location, profitability, personal qualification and experience and organization level.
Within 3-4 year of experience you may earn 40000 – 60000 per month or more.
The job sectors in OM are as the following:
- Consulting Firms
- Financial Institutions
- Information Technology
- Transportation and Logistics
- KPO companies
The prominent companies that hires operation manager are given below:
- Barclay’s Capital
- Asian Paints
- ESSAR Group
- Reliance Power
Books & Study Materials
It is very necessary to choose the right book for preparing for any examination. Here, we are listing some good books for studying MBA in operations:
- Principles of Operations Management by Jay Heizer and Barry Render
- Introduction to Operations Management by Dr. Yogesh Mahajan
- Operation Management For MBAs by Meredith and Shafer
- Operations Management by William J. Stevenson
- Productions and Operations Management by P.Rama Murthy
- Operations Management: Strategy, Global Supply Chain, and Service Operations by Kenneth K. Boyer, Rohit Verma
- The Encyclopedia of Operations Management by Arthur V.Hill
For any queries regarding MBA in Operations, you may leave your comments below.
Sir i am BCOM graduate and i am completed my first year MBA taking the specialization in Operation and i wont to work in the Manufacturing company can i work it or not
i just completed my 12th in science stream having maths.. so nw interested in psychology..
what say, if i take BA in psychology, then MBA in HR?
hw is this path? secure?
I am confused what group to take after 12 !anyone say me plzzz ….i am planing to do CA and complete B.COM and M.B.Aso plz guide me anyone…….!!!!!
What can i do after 12 as commerce with maths
I completed 4yrs B.E (Ece) and MBA(operations and marketing) most of the companies wanted only MBA in finance or Hr. Few number of jobs are available now . pls tell me some job oppirtunities companies for MBA operation pls help
Thanks in advance waiting for ur valuable rly
Sir I am mechanical engg in well-known group from last 3 years and pursuing MBA need to choose 2 branch, in future interested to set up business(entrepreneur) hence my mind diverted towards finance and marketing. But my carrier growth I have to choose Operation and marketing, in such case kindly suggest me best decision.