Master of Computer Applications (MCA)
Are you puzzled between the questions like what is MCA? Why study MCA? What will be the benefits?
Before you choose any course to make your career, it is necessary to know about the course, specializations, benefits, career opportunities, etc…. Here we are providing you detailed information on MCA.
Let’s talk about MCA course:
“MCA (Master of Computer Applications) is a professional master’s degree in computer science. It focuses on providing a theoretical as well as practical training to students in the related field.”
Computer Applications is a use of computer to solve a problem or to accomplish a particular job. This course is designed to meet up with the demand of qualified professionals in the IT field.
The MCA course comprises of four contents like Mathematics behind Computer Science, concepts in core computers and systems science, non-core computer courses and software development or design.
Are you interested about this course?… Read On….
One can pursue MCA after the completion of bachelor’s degree. Basically, the graduates of Bachelor’s of Computer Applications (BCA) pursue MCA. The course emphasis on latest programming languages and tools to develop better and faster applications. BCA makes a base while MCA adds a specialized touch in the subjects studied in BCA.
Duration & Eligibility
The duration of MCA course is total three academic years. It is a full-time postgraduate course offered by many colleges/Universities situated in India. This course has been divided into six semesters with the duration of six months each. The first year of this course focuses on the skill developments in computers, second year is aimed for providing a conceptual framework and the third year offers the specializations and project work.
- Students who have done their graduation in any discipline like Science, Commerce, Arts, Engineering, BCA from any recognized university are eligible to apply for this course.
- Aspirants should have studied Mathematics subject in the 10+2 standard or graduation level.
- The qualifying examination must be passed with 50% marks (45% for SC/ST category candidates).
Students can opt any one the specialization during the last year of course:
- Systems Management
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Systems Development
- Systems Engineering
- Internet working
- Application Software
- Software Development
- Hardware Technology
Also Check: Courses After 12th
Admissions in MCA course is given on the basis of all India basis entrance examinations. Many top colleges and universities in India offer admission on the basis of merit list prepared as per the marks scored in the entrance test. Generally, the entrance examination is based on Mathematics and reasoning. There is a different exam pattern of each entrance test.
Some MCA entrance examinations are listed here:
- NIMCET 2019 (National Institute of Technology Common Entrance Test)
- MAH MCA CET 2019 (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test)
- VITMEE 2019 (Vellore Institute of Technology MCA Entrance Exam)
- IPU CET 2019 MCA (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)
- TS ICET 2019 (Telangana State Integrated Common Entrance Test)
- AP ICET 2019 (Andhra Pradesh Integrated Common Entrance Test)
- OJEE 2019 (Odisha Joint Entrance Exam)
- IIST 2019 (Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology)
Some reputed colleges and universities to purse MCA courses are:
- National Institute of Technology, Surathkhal
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- VIT University, Vellore
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Birla Institute of Technology (BITS), Ranchi
Career & Jobs
Lot of Job opportunities are available in the field of MCA. Candidates having an MCA degree may have great employment opportunities in top IT companies and top consultancy firms.
At present, with the advancement of IT & Communication systems, people with good computer application skills are highly demanded in IT sector. MCA qualified students can find jobs easily in government and private sector. Numerous job are available in both the sectors. Candidates can get profiles as per their skills and caliber.
If you pursue the course from a well-recognized university, you will get the better jobs and career opportunities in this field. You can work in various areas such as banking, networking, IT companies, desktop publishing, etc.
During the initial time of joining, candidates are provided with a few months of training. Thereafter, they can work on Live projects. MCA candidate can start their career as an entry level trainee programmer. At the beginning, they have to work in different roles and areas. Responsibilities of an IT professional is to develop, test and maintain softwares/applications.
Candidates with MCA degree can also choose their profession in teaching field. They can also work as a lecturer in reputed colleges/Universities.
- To be a good programmer, you must have a good command in programming languages such as C, C++, Java, .Net, ASP.NET, etc.
- If you want to go in networking field, then you have to skilled in SQL, LINUX, etc. Apart from studying subjects during the course, interested candidates can also get certification in CCNA, CCNP, CCIE to get good position in organization.
After completing MCA, candidates can apply for the following profiles:
- Software Developer
- Computer System Analyst
- Software Engineer or Programmer
- Database Administrator
- Software Publisher
- Software Application Architect
- Software Consultant
- Hardware Engineer
- Web Designer/Web Developer
- Senior Technical Consultant
- Project Manager
The postgraduates in MCA are hired by the private IT companies as well as government organizations. The recruiters are as follows:
- American Express
In India, the average salary of a software developer is around Rs.3.5 lacs per year depending upon the working organization, education, skills, etc.
With good skills in C++ and Java/J2EE you can get a high paying job in this field. After gaining the sufficient experience in IT field you can easily earn a handsome salary package.
Books & Study Materials
MCA Master of (Computer Application) Entrance Exam by R. Gupta
MCA Entrance of All India Universities by G.K.P.
The Pearson Guide to MCA Entrance Examinations by Edgar Thorpe, Showick Thorpe
Introduction to Computers by Norton Peter
Fundamentals of Computers by Rajaraman V
Guide to MCA Entrance including JECA by Dr. Sakti Pada Nanda
MCA Entrance Examination: A Complete Guide by Anand Kumar
A Complete Study Package MCA Entrances of All Indian Universities by Amit M.Aggarwal
If you have any other queries related to Master of Computer Applications (MCA), you may leave your queries below.