Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm)
Are you interested to do a Pharmacy Course?
Yes! Then, B.Pharm is the best course for you after 12th.
Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm) is an undergraduate degree course in the field of Pharmacy education. The students those are interested in the medical field (except to become a doctor) can choose this course after the completion of class 12th (PCM/B). After the completion of this degree, the students can practice as a Pharmacist. Pharmacists can work in a range of industries related to the prescription, manufacture & provision of medicines. The duration of this course is 4 years.
The B.Pharm is one of the popular job oriented course among the science students after class 12th. In this course the students study about the drugs and medicines, Pharmaceutical Engineering, Medicinal Chemistry etc. This course provides a large no. of job opportunities in both the public and private sector.
There are various career options available for the science students after the completion of B.Pharm degree. The students can go for higher studies in the Pharmacy i.e. Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm). This field is one of the evergreen fields in the medical sector, with the increasing demand of Pharma professional every year.
B.Pharm programme covers the syllabus including biochemical science & health care. The Pharmacy Courses are approved by the All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) & Pharmacy Council of India (PCI).
Courses & Durations
The Pharmacy field offers you with lots of career opportunities. If you wish to make your future in the pharmacy sector than you can choose one of the several courses. These course may be diploma, degree or postgraduate degree course. The detailed list of the courses in the Pharmacy sector is given below:
- Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharm)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm)
- Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm)
- Doctorate in Pharmacy (Pharm.D)
1. Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharm):
The D.Pharm is a foundation course in the pharmacy field for the duration of 3 years. This course covers the basic information related to the Pharmacy field. It comprises of all the subjects which are related to the pharmacy field.
2. Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm):
B.Pharm is an undergraduate degree course in the pharma field. The duration of this course is 4 years. After the completion of this course, an individual can practice as a Pharmacist or chemist.
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Pharmaceutical Maths & Biostatistics
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
3. Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm):
Master of Pharmacy or M.Pharm is a postgraduate degree course in Pharmacy after the completion of this course, the student can either work in a company or go for higher studies.
Some of the top pharmacy colleges in India offer UG & PG courses are given here:
- Government Pharmacy Institute, Bariatu
- Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram
- Government College of Pharmacy, Bangalore
- Government College of Pharmacy, Maharashtra
- Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi
Students who want to join the B.Pharma programme have to fulfill the given eligibility criteria:
- For admission to the Pharmacy courses, student must have passed class 12th with Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics/Biology.
- Students have to secure a minimum of 50% marks in the qualifying examination.
- Students, those pass the three year Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharm) are also eligible.
To get admission into the Pharmacy course, students have to complete their 10+2 education & apply for national level or state level Pharmacy entrance exam. The national level entrance exam is Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT 2021). You can also apply for the state level exams such as TS EAMCET 2021, AP EAMCET 2021 ,BCECE 2021, WBJEE 2021, etc as per the eligibility criteria of the exams.
There are various exams conducted by private and public universities for the admission to the various graduate and postgraduate Pharmacy courses. There are some of famous university level exams like BVP CET 2021, IPU CET 2021, MHT CET 2021, etc. Few Institutions offer direct admission into the Pharmacy programme without appearing in an entrance test on the basis of the 12th marks.
Career and Jobs
The pharmacy sector offers lots of opportunities to the students after the completion of the course. The students can work in a Pharmaceutical company or can practice as a Pharmacist. There is huge number of opportunities available for the students in both public and the private sector. You can also work in a government sector. Beside this, you can also work in an Abroad Company.
After completing a graduation degree, you can work at government hospitals, private medical shops & private hospitals/clinics. You can also start your own consultancies & medical shop.
The students can work in a Pharmaceutical company or can practice as a Pharmacist. In Pharmaceutical Company, you can work in departments such as quality control, manufacturing, packing marketing, production, etc.
You can also make your career in Pharmaceutical Management & marketing field as a Production Manager, Medical Representative, Area Manager, etc.
After the completion of the course the students can work as a:
- Chemical/Drug Technician
- Bio-Technology Industries
- Drug Therapist
- Drug Inspector
- Hospital Drug Coordinator
- Health Inspector
- Pathological Lab
- Research & Development
- Making Prescription to Patients
- Research Officer
- Hospitals and Clinics (Government and Private)
- State wise Drugs and Pharmaceutical Boards
- Medical Shop chains (the likes of Apollo Pharmacy)
- Chemist Shops
- Abbott India
- Research bodies and labs
- Sun Pharmaceuticals
- Glaxo Smith Kline India
In India, there are many employment opportunities available for aspirants who completed their Pharmacy education. The salary in this profession varies from company to company in which an individual is working. The starting salary for a fresher in this field can be Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 18,000 per month in India. After gaining an experience in this field, you can earn approx Rs. 9 to 12 Lakh per annum. In abroad the starting salary could be anywhere between $15000 to $25000 per annum.
Books & Study Material
- Pharmaceutical Mathematics & Biostatistics by A.R Vasistha
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry –II by M.P Saluja
- Pharmaceutical Analysis – I by Nitin, Anjana Sharma
- Textbook of Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry 1st Edition by Mohammed Ali
- Practical Pharmaceutical Chemistry by A.H Beckett & J.B Stenlake
If you have any other query about Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm), you can ask your query below.