Career As Cardiologist
If your wish is to become a heart specialist then you can choose the field of cardiology in medical courses to transform your dreams into reality.
“Cardiology is the branch of medicine that deals with the diseases and disorders of the heart. Cardiologists are the specialists of heart diseases and heart abnormalities”.
Cardiologist is the physician who is specialized in this field of medicine. Cardiologists treat the diseases like congenital heart defects, coronary artery disease, heart failure, valvular heart disease and electro-physiology.
Dr P. Venugopal, head of the cardio-thoracic centre in All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) performed the first successful heart transplant in India. The heart transplantation was carried out in the year 1994 with the team of well-qualified doctors. Apollo heart hospital is one of the renowned hospitals in India for treating heart disorders and conducting transplantation as well as surgery.
Courses & Duration
How to become a Cardiologist?
Also Check – Courses After 12th
To become a cardiologist, you are required to go through a long period of medical studies for acquiring licensure and board certification. After the completion of 10+2 with PCB, you can continue your studies towards becoming the cardiologist. Steps leading to the cardiologist are as follows:
- Earns a bachelor degree with MBBS after 10+2.
- Get the admission in PG course leading to Doctor of Medicine (MD) in general medicine.
- After finishing three-year degree of MD, go for the super specialty course of 3-year DM in Cardiology to be a Cardiologist.
MBBS (51/2 years) + MD (3 years) + DM in cardiology (3 years) = 111/2 years = Cardiologist
Courses offered in this field are listed below:
- Diploma in Cardio Vascular Technology
- PG Diploma in Clinical Cardiology Course (PGDCC)
- B.Sc in Cardiac Care Technology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Community Cardiology
- Master of Science in Cardio logical nursing
- M. Ch in Cardiology
- M. Ch Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
- DNB Cardio Thoracic Surgery
- Doctor of Medicine in Cardiology
To get admission in MBBS programme, you need to appear in medical entrance exams. NEET 2022 is the renowned entrance examination conducted by NTA for admitting students in Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) course. For admission o PG courses candidates may appear in AIIMS PG (INI CET) 2022, NEET PG 2022 etc. All medical colleges and universities consider the NEET UG scores for providing admission in UG medical courses.
Top colleges offering courses in cardiology are mentioned below:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC)
- Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute, Pondicherry
- Dayanand Medical College and Hospital( DMCH), Punjab
- Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre
- Christian Medical College, Vellore (CMC Vellore)
- Jawaharlal Institute Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER)
- Annamalai University, Tamil nadu
Jobs & Career Scope
Career as a Cardiologist is rewarding not only position-wise but also financially.
Due to increase in heart patients, number of super specialty heart care centres opens and this will broaden the scope for cardiologists.
Lot of jobs availability for cardiology specialists. Heart healthcare specialists are needed in government as well as private hospitals. Cardiologists can apply for the job in these hospitals. With the rising in numbers of heart patients, the need of cardiologist is also increasing parallely.
A cardiologist can work as a doctor in hospital and can also become a lecturer in medical colleges. One can also pursue in cardiology field.
Cardiologist can work in hospitals on weekly, hourly and monthly basis. Most of the aspirants work in public/private hospitals for gaining experience and then open their own health care centre. You can also work in research areas in reputed hospitals.
Cardiologist can find job opportunities in private hospitals, government hospitals, armed forces medical services, cardiology clinics etc.
Responsibilities of a Cardiologist
- Examine patients and diagnose heart issues.
- Treat cardiovascular diseases.
- After complete analysis and tests , a cardiologists provide medication to the patient.
- Focus on pumping function of heart
- Conducts heart surgery
- Tracking & measuring the improvement in patient’s health
- Commanding lab research
- Explaining the risk of prohibited activities to the patient.
A cardiologists may be designated as:
- Cardiology Technologist
- Cardiology Surgeon
- ECG (electro-cardiographic) Technologist
- Interventional Cardiologist
- Cardiovascular Technologist
- Assistant Cardiology Supervisor
- Cardiac Catheterization Technologist
- Electrocardiography Technician
- Nuclear Cardiologist
Key Skills Required for Cardiologist
- Depth Knowledge of Cardiovascular System: Aspirants should be aware of the system of cardiovascular. You should have complete knowledge after completing your degree.
- Be familiar with all Technologies: You should know the technologies and devices used for surgery. The knowledge of instrumental machines is necessary so, that you can interpret specialized tests.
- Self- Confidence: If you are senior doctor in your department, then you have to be confident while doing operation in operation theatre. In emergency cases it is very important to take immediate decision.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills: It is the skill with which you can properly communicate with your colleagues. This skill should be present in you.
- AIIMS, New Delhi
- Fortis Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre, New Delhi
- Narayana Hrudayalaya, Bangalore
- Asian Heart Institute and Research Centre, Mumbai
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- B. M. Birla Heart Research Centre, Kolkata
- Kerala institute of medical sciences, Trivandrum, Kerala
Salary of a cardiologists depends upon several factors that includes experience, sub specialty, location, ability and the type of hospital you are working for. Salary in government hospital is different from private one.
In private sector, a cardiologist can expect an average monthly salary of Rs 1 lac. A reputed cardiology surgeon earns the salary of around 1.5 lacs.
In US, specialties of this field earns an average of $461,000.
Books & Study Materials
Here, we have listed some cardiology books that you can refer for studies:
- Volume 1 Cardiology: An Illustrated Textbook by Kanu Chatterjee, Mark Anderson, Donald Heistad, Richard E Kerber
- Cardiology by Harshan Jeyakumar
- Fundamentals of Pediatric Cardiology by David J. Driscoll
- Textbook of Interventional Cardiology by Eric J. Topol, Paul S. Teirsten
- Manual of Cardiovascular Medicine by Brian P. Griffin, Eric J. Topol
- Manual of Clinical problems in cardiology by L. David hallis
- Oxford handbook of Cardiology by Punit S. Ramrakha
For more information about Career In Cardiology, you may ask by commenting below.