Career As Dermatologist
At this time of modern era, everyone is conscious about his/her beauty. A small skin problem tensed the people and that’s the reason why career scope in dermatology is growing now-a-days.
“Dermatology is the branch of medicine that generally deals with the skin diseases and disorders. This field of medicine is also concerned with treating the hair, scalp and nails diseases”.
A physician who is specialized in the field of dermatology are called dermatologists. A dermatologist has proper training and expertise in handling and managing the skin disorders.
Dermatologists are of three types namely pediatric dermatology, dermatopathology and procedural dermatology. You can be specialized as per your interest in any one of the aforesaid specializations.
Skills Required for Dermatologist:
- Student must be intelligent, hardworking and have patience to treat and study their patients.
- They must be able to perform various procedures like cryotherapy, biopsies, etc.
- You must have good academic record with a desire to succeed.
- They should have ability to work long hours with the skills of self motivation, punctual & calm.
Courses & Duration
Also Check – Courses After 12th
Lets us discuss about courses in dermatology.
“Dermatology is counted among one of the highly competitive medical fields, this field requires many years of education and training”.
Once you have completed 10+2 with PCB, you are eligible for Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) course. After MBBS, you can pursue master’s degree program and doctor of medicine (MD) in dermatology.
In dermatology, courses at certificate level, diploma level, bachelor and master level are available. Most sought dermatology courses are listed below:
- Diploma in Dermatology – 2 years
- Bachelor of Science in Dermatology – 3 years
- Post Graduate Diploma in Dermatology, Venerology & Leprosy – 2 years
- Master of Science in Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology – 2 years
- Doctor of Medicine in Dermatology & Venereology – 3 years
- Doctor of Philosophy in Dermatology & Venereology – 3 years
One can choose the following specializations in dermatology:
- Mohs surgery
- Pediatric dermatology
- Cosmetic dermatology
What will be the procedure to get admission in Dermatology courses?
Aspiring candidates can get admission in MBBS course through National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET 2023). For admission to All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), candidates are required to appear the NEET examination. Other Universities/institutions also conduct their own medical entrance exams for providing admission. Admission process from college to college varies.
Here we are providing a list of some entrance test, in which you can appear to get admission:
Where to get admissions to study dermatology courses?
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER)
- Maharashtra University of Health Sciences
- Padmashree Dr. D.Y. Patil University
- SRM University
After obtaining a degree in Dermatology, you can start up your career as a “Dermatologist”.
Jobs & Career
“There are lots of job opportunities available for Dermatologist”.
With the increasing skin problems worldwide, the demands of Dermatologist who can work on various skin treatment techniques has been increased.
Lucrative career opportunities for dermatologists are available. A dermatologist can work in the dermatology department of a reputed hospital. One can also open his/her own clinic where he/she can perform practice and make good money.
Jobs to dermatologists is also offered by the government as well as private hospitals. Those holding degree in this field can also opt their career in teaching. Job opportunities are also available in abroad.
Some areas where dermatologist can find job placements are government and private hospitals, skin care centres, dispensaries, government and private colleges and many others.
After earning doctor of medicine in dermatology, one can also go for the research work.
Duties of a Dermatologist
A dermatologist has the following responsibilities:
- Diagnosis and treat skin cancer, melanomas, moles and skin tumors.
- Treat hair loss, scars and other skin associated problems.
- Performs cosmetic surgery.
- Teach the patient about basic skin care and hair care.
Some top job profiles are:
- Dermatology Professor
- Skin Specialist
- Medical Representative
- Clinical Application specialist
- Therapy Manager – IVF Artificial Reproduction
- Dermatology Consultant
- Sales Coordinator
- Product Manager
Dermatologists are one of the highest paid medical specialties.
Dermatologists earns a good remuneration depending upon experience, location and work. In India, average salary of a dermatologist is Rs 614,451 per year. Experience matters a lot in this profession. As your years of experience increases, it also increments your salary.
Salary in government hospital depends upon the pay scale decided by the government. Salary packages offered to dermatologist are depend upon several factors like job experience, working skills, qualifications, working area and many other factors. Dermatologists can also make more money by having their own clinic.
In US, the salary of a dermatologist is around $300,000 a year.
“With good qualification and experience, you can earn beyond the limits in this field”.
Books & Study Materials
To choose best books & study materials for studies matters a lot in education. Here, we have listed some books that helps students in the study of dermatology:
- Cosmetic Dermatology by Leslie Baumann
- Dermatology by Jean L. Bolognia, Joseph L Jorizzo, Ronald P Rapini
- Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy by Thomas P. Habif
- Dermatology: A Pictorial Review by Asra Ali
- Textbook of Clinical Dermatology by Virendra N Sehgal
- Textbook of Pediatric Dermatology by Palit Aparna, Inamadar Arun C, S. Ragunatha, S. Sacchidanand
- A Practical Guide to Dermal Filler Procedures by Rebecca Small
- Dermatology Fundamentals of Practice by Robin Graham Brown and Johnny Bourke
- Treatment of Skin Diseases by J S Pasricha , Kaushal Verma
- Step by Step Treatment of Acne Scars by Niti Khunger
- How to Cure a Skin Disease Vitiligo by J S Pasricha
If you have any other queries regarding Career In Dermatology, you may ask by commenting below.
My 12th complete in pcm. Can j enable to join the dermatologist course
I can get admission in bachler in dermatpgy on 12th sci basis without neet exam. and what is procedure for admission in dis course
I am doing graduation in BA program , can i do diploma course in dermatology after graduation??
I want to pursue a BSc in Dermatology but i haven’t taken biology as a subject in 12th. I have taken chemistry math and physics. Can i get in?
I possess an advanced diploma in dermatoveneology, to undergo for bachelors degree in dermatology will it still be for three years????
I have completed mbbs degree from Bangladesh. Now I want to do a training course on dermatology in India. What procedures should be done for this and what are the requirementes to do this?
Can you pls tell which are the colleges for bsc dermatology in maharashtra???
Kya b pharmacy karne ke baad darmatology kar sakte hai sir please bataiye
Hey guys…can we take a break after completing our pg in dermatology?
How can I become a Dermatology
I did cosmetology .
May i eligible for the dermatologist?
I M persuing msc.in zoology at a time.
M I eligible to do dermatologist course
Sir hum bs dermatology ke badh ic ko as a profession ksy persue kr skty hein ..aur bs k badh kya hum MD kr skty hein??
Hii!I have completed my graduation in this year only(2020) from botany and zoology so kya maine dermatology kr skhti hu???
Plzz suggest me or either I go for cosmetology?
10th after diploma in ECE can i study dermatology??
Hey, Neha hear,I have pursued my BSc in biochemistry.. Can I go for a PG in dermatology? Also, if yes, I wanted to know about the forms and regarding entrance exams if any!
is career in dermatology without doing mbbs .and what do after bs dematologym
Can i get tree diagram to become a dermatologist….it will be helpful for me….Regarda
Mere +2 me 67% marks h kya mai dermatologist me admission k liye bhr skta hu form..or kya MBBS krni jruri h dermatologist banene k liye.
hi,I am in 9th standard and i am planning taking dermatology as a career…..so can you tell that what steps should i start taking forward from now in order to be a future dermatologist.
Sir i have completed my intermidate .. is there any couses on dermatology without mbbs ..and the colleges in india and the fees procedure .. and the income on that courses
Is it possible to start carrier after 12th dermatologist with out doing mbbs
You have to pursue MBBS first.
You have to pursue MBBS first.
How to career dermatology after 12th without doing MBBS..? Pls replay to me☺??
you can pursue diploma or B.Sc in dermatology.
i want to admission dermotologist deploma
Is career in demetology possible after 12 without doing MBBS if yes then what is its procedure pls tell