Career As Dermatologist
At this time of modern era, everyone is conscious about his/her beauty. A small skin problem tensed the people and that’s the reason why career scope in dermatology is growing now-a-days.
“Dermatology is the branch of medicine that generally deals with the skin diseases and disorders. This field of medicine is also concerned with treating the hair, scalp and nails diseases”.
A physician who is specialized in the field of dermatology are called dermatologists. A dermatologist has proper training and expertise in handling and managing the skin disorders.
Dermatologists are of three types namely pediatric dermatology, dermatopathology and procedural dermatology. You can be specialized as per your interest in any one of the aforesaid specializations.
Skills Required for Dermatologist:
- Student must be intelligent, hardworking and have patience to treat and study their patients.
- They must be able to perform various procedures like cryotherapy, biopsies, etc.
- You must have good academic record with a desire to succeed.
- They should have ability to work long hours with the skills of self motivation, punctual & calm.
Courses & Duration
Also Check – Courses After 12th
Lets us discuss about courses in dermatology.
“Dermatology is counted among one of the highly competitive medical fields, this field requires many years of education and training”.
Once you have completed 10+2 with PCB, you are eligible for Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) course. After MBBS, you can pursue master’s degree program and doctor of medicine (MD) in dermatology.
In dermatology, courses at certificate level, diploma level, bachelor and master level are available. Most sought dermatology courses are listed below:
- Diploma in Dermatology – 2 years
- Bachelor of Science in Dermatology – 3 years
- Post Graduate Diploma in Dermatology, Venerology & Leprosy – 2 years
- Master of Science in Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology – 2 years
- Doctor of Medicine in Dermatology & Venereology – 3 years
- Doctor of Philosophy in Dermatology & Venereology – 3 years
One can choose the following specializations in dermatology:
- Mohs surgery
- Pediatric dermatology
- Cosmetic dermatology
What will be the procedure to get admission in Dermatology courses?
Aspiring candidates can get admission in MBBS course through National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET 2020). For admission to All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), candidates are required to appear the entrance examination of AIIMS 2020. Other Universities/institutions also conduct their own medical entrance exams for providing admission. Admission process from college to college varies.
Here we are providing a list of some entrance test, in which you can appear to get admission:
- AIIMS PG 2020
- NEET PG 2020
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER 2020) Exam
- JIPMER PG 2020
Where to get admissions to study dermatology courses?
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER)
- Maharashtra University of Health Sciences
- Padmashree Dr. D.Y. Patil University
- SRM University
After obtaining a degree in Dermatology, you can start up your career as a “Dermatologist”.
Jobs & Career
“There are lots of job opportunities are available for Dermatologist”.
With the increasing skin problems worldwide, the demands of Dermatologist who can work on various skin treatment techniques has been increased.
Lucrative career opportunities for dermatologists are available. A dermatologist can work in the dermatology department of a reputed hospital. One can also open his/her own clinic where he/she can perform practice and make good money.
Jobs to dermatologists is also offered by the government as well as private hospitals. Those holding degree in this field can also opt their career in teaching. Job opportunities are also available in abroad.
Some areas where dermatologist can find job placements are government and private hospitals, skin care centres, dispensaries, government and private colleges and many others.
After earning doctor of medicine in dermatology, one can also go for the research work.
Duties of a Dermatologist
A dermatologist has the following responsibilities:
- Diagnosis and treat skin cancer, melanomas, moles and skin tumors.
- Treat hair loss, scars and other skin associated problems.
- Performs cosmetic surgery.
- Teach the patient about basic skin care and hair care.
Some top job profiles are:
- Dermatology Professor
- Skin Specialist
- Medical Representative
- Clinical Application specialist
- Therapy Manager – IVF Artificial Reproduction
- Dermatology Consultant
- Sales Coordinator
- Product Manager
Dermatologists are one of the highest paid medical specialties.
Dermatologists earns a good remuneration depending upon experience, location and work. In India, average salary of a dermatologist is Rs 614,451 per year. Experience matters a lot in this profession. As your years of experience increases, it also increments your salary.
Salary in government hospital depends upon the pay scale decided by the government. Salary packages offered to dermatologist are depend upon several factors like job experience, working skills, qualifications, working area and many other factors. Dermatologists can also make more money by having their own clinic.
In US, the salary of a dermatologist is around $300,000 a year.
“With good qualification and experience, you can earn beyond the limits in this field”.
Books & Study Materials
To choose best books & study materials for studies matters a lot in education. Here, we have listed some books that helps students in the study of dermatology:
- Cosmetic Dermatology by Leslie Baumann
- Dermatology by Jean L. Bolognia, Joseph L Jorizzo, Ronald P Rapini
- Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy by Thomas P. Habif
- Dermatology: A Pictorial Review by Asra Ali
- Textbook of Clinical Dermatology by Virendra N Sehgal
- Textbook of Pediatric Dermatology by Palit Aparna, Inamadar Arun C, S. Ragunatha, S. Sacchidanand
- A Practical Guide to Dermal Filler Procedures by Rebecca Small
- Dermatology Fundamentals of Practice by Robin Graham Brown and Johnny Bourke
- Treatment of Skin Diseases by J S Pasricha , Kaushal Verma
- Step by Step Treatment of Acne Scars by Niti Khunger
- How to Cure a Skin Disease Vitiligo by J S Pasricha
If you have any other queries regarding Career In Dermatology, you may ask by commenting below.