Career As Dietitian
Due to greater demand for health and nutritional services, peoples are referring dietitian and nutritionists.
Here, the job of dietitian starts!
Who are Dietitians?
“Dietitian are the healthcare professionals and experts who treats nutritional problems. They supervises the patients by providing dietary needs, plans menus, and instructs patients and their families about proper nutritional care.”
Always Remember “Exercise to be fit not skinny and eat to nourish your body”.
Dieticians helps in changing the diet of their patients by giving them a healthy diet schedule consisting of good amount of proteins, vitamins & fats. They assess, diagnose and treat nutritional problems of the individuals. A Registered Dietitian (RD) or Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) is a certified professional which prescribes a healthy diet plan and lifestyle changes to its patients . The RDNs, aspirants hold graduate degrees. After gaining experience in the dietitian course of a patient’s health, eating habits, schedule of diet, exercise habits, RDs helps the patients to overcome their health relating problems.
Scope & Career
Also Check: Courses after 12th
After completion of dietitian course, you can become RD and can work with medical teams in hospitals, health-maintenance organizations, private/public practices and other health care centres. You can go for further research studies in this field. The demand of dietitian is very high in India or in other countries. Today everyone is health conscious or wish to be fit and healthy. For this, they generally contacts the dietitian to summarize their meal into good diet. The overall scope of the dietitian is increasing regularly, you can find plethora of job opportunities in this field.
Nowadays, one who wants to earn as a dietician is also earning money through online platforms such as facebook, instagram & they are going good. After Covid-19 situation, people are more focused towards their diet & immunity. Also, one finds more easy to get all details about their health without going outside.
Tasks of Dietitians
What dietitians generally do?
- They directs the patients about the proper nutrition diet that one has to follow to remain healthy.
- Provides education to the people about food and nutrition issues.
- They advise people “What to eat” and “What to avoid”?
- Promotes knowledge about good eating habits and better nutrition by delivering sessions to large number of audiences including children age group also.
- They identify and controls the nutrition and dietary problems in human bodies.
- Involved in the research work of latest nutritional science.
- A dietitian deals with the patients having the problem of gaining and losing of weight (obesity, debility).
- Manage chronic conditions (high cholesterol, high blood pressure, obesity), etc.
A dietitian who meets all the academic and professional requirements in this field are known as registered dietitian or registered nutritionists.
Currently, everyone believe that the “greatest gift you can give to your family and the world is a healthy you“.
Being a Dietitian is the right career for me?
If you have interest in knowing the food items or products that contains carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and proteins and are excited to solve the problem of people suffering from different health issues. Most importantly if you are fit, then you can choose your career as a dietitian
If you are possessing above mentioned skills in you, then you can move further and pursue a degree or diploma course in this field.
Courses & Programmes
Academic and professional requirements to be a fully qualified dietitian may varies country to country. You can pursue the medical courses in dietetics fields listed below:
- Certification Courses in nutrition, dietetics – Minimum duration – 6 months, Maximum duration – 2 years
- Bachelor’s degree in dietetics, nutrition’s or in any other related field – 3 years duration
- Master’s degree in dietetics – 2 years duration
For admission to bachelor’s course, you have to clear the higher secondary examination with the requisite academic criteria. There is specialization in certificate course like pediatrics, oncological, sports, renal, food-allergy or gerontological nutrition.
Also Check – Courses After 12th Science
How to Become a Dietitian?
You will get the title of registered dietitian (RD) or registered nutritionists, if you are satisfying the following academic requirements:
- Earns the bachelor’s degree of science in dietetics.
- Undergo an internship from approved health-care facility, food service organization, or community agency to learn practical skills and characteristics of psychology.
- Obtain the license required for the status of dietitians and nutritionists as many states demands the license.
Specialized fields in Dietitian are as follows:
- Food and nutritional science
- Gerontological nutrition
Looking for the advancement opportunities!
You can pursue postgraduate or master’s degree in dietetics for advancement of your skills and knowledge. After gaining advancement, the dietitians will also get the advanced in ranking as well as in remuneration.
Top colleges that offers dietitian course are as follows:
- Amity University, Haryana
- Achariya Arts and Science College, Puducherry
- Lady Irwin College, New Delhi
- Devi Ahilya Nursing College and Associated Hospital, Indore
- Chinmaya Degree College, BHEL, Haridwar
Nowadays everyone wants to be fit and healthy! For this purpose, they are following dietitians and this will provide a good career opportunities for the dietitian.
Dietitians and nutritionists are demanded in hospital, nursing homes and government health department, hotels, cruise lines, etc. Also, work for state and local governments and recruited in the food and drink industry.
Many dietitians also work for the National Health Service (NHS). After becoming a dietitian, aspirants can work as a clinical dietitian, community dietitian, dietetic educator, food ervice dietician, therapeutic dietitian, registered dietitian, public health dietitian or research dietitian. You can do further studies in this course, such as a Masters, M Phil and PhD after graduation. As a career aspirant can be employed by hotels, cruise lines, nursing homes, hospitals and government health departments. In shipping company you can recruit by Shell, Maersk or their partner companies that run tourist ships along with logistics.
- Clinical dietitians
- Community dietitians
- Management dietitians
- Consultant dietitians
- Food service dietitians
- Gerontological dietitians
- Pediatric dietitians
- Business dietitians
- Administrative dietitians
- Dietetic assistant
What will be my earnings in dietitian field?
Here is the answer,
Salary & Remuneration is the common query among students, the starting salary for a Dietitian in India is around 25 to 30 thousand per month, but once you gain good experience you can surely get very handsome pay & perks.
Income varies, depending upon the location and designation.
In US, the salary of fresher nutritionists is $4,000/month and the experienced one will receive the monthly income of $6,000. The average annual salary of dietitian is $56,737 as of February 22, 2016 and will exist in between 51,649-$62,344.
Books and Study Materials
- Dietetics by B Srilakshmi
- A Textbook of Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics-Paperback by M Raheena Begum
- Nutrition and Dietetics by Shubhangini Joshi
- Food Science by B. Srilakshmi
- Clinical Dietetics and Nutrition by Anita F P
For more information regarding Dietitian as a Career, you can ask your queries below.