“Physiotherapy is the science of prevent, cure and rehabilitation of the physically disabled and challenged people”.
The physiotherapy is one of the ancient sciences of curing the people by doing some physical practices. In India, A physiotherapist uses the “Doctor” as a suffix with prefix ‘P.T’.
The students who are interested in curing the people and helping physically disabled people, then this is the right career for such students. And no doubt, you will be a doctor.
Physiotherapy is an independent health profession which is mainly directed towards the prevention or alleviation of movement dysfunction in people.
It is a non-surgical treatment process aimed to reduce pain, improving movement & restoring functionality in order to improve the patient’s health.
It is the process used by the doctors in most of the cases, where they use some techniques with some devices to prevent the patients from disease or pain from which they are suffering.
The practice of physiotherapy is devoted to movement sciences & it concerned with the function of the body systems.
The person who is specialized in this field in known as “Physiotherapist”.
The job of a physiotherapist is to reduce someone’s pain by movement & function of their body parts and at the same time reducing pain and prevent from the cure.
Scope of Physiotherapy
Physiotherapy career can rise to a variety of challenging & interesting jobs in the health care system. As a Physiotherapist, you can get specializations in the fields such as geriatrics, cardiorespiratory, geriatrics, orthopaedics & neurology. You can also get a doctorate degree & work in the research field. In future, there is a wide scope of physiotherapy. It is a wide range of career option in India as well as in abroad.
Courses & Duration
In India, there is just one programme after the completion of plus two standards. The students who wish to do the physiotherapy course must have passed the 10+2 examinations with physics, chemistry and biology.
Bachelor in Physiotherapy (B.PT) is the only course in India after 12th standard. If you are willing to work with the clinic or hospital or individual practice, you need to go through this course.
In this course, there is a plenty of knowledge about the human body, anatomy, cytology, medical condition of the human body, injuries and surgery condition, training on the procedures of therapy, pharmacology, pathology, disability prevention and rehabilitation.
You can also pursue for the master degree programme in Physiotherapy after completing graduation degree in Physiotherapy.
- B.PT (Bachelor in Physiotherapy) – full-time – 4 years + 6 month internship
- M.PT (Master of Physiotherapy)- full-time- 2 years
- Screening, Planning & Diagnosing
- Organizing & Enterprising
- Evidence-Based Practice
- Preventive & Therapeutic Interventions
- Research & Innovation
- Massage & Exercise Therapy
- Physio-Technical Applications
Eligibility & Admission
For the admission to physiotherapy programme, the candidate should have qualified the examination conducted by the individual institutions/universities. In order to get admission you have to follow the following criterion:
- Should have completed the 17 years of age
- Should have completed the 10+2 examination with at least 50% marks
- Should have physics, chemistry and biology in plus two examination
- Should have a good score in the entrance test
Colleges Offering Physiotherapy Courses
- Government Medical College, Nagpur
- Indian Association of Physiotherapists (IAP), MP
- National Institute of Management & Technology, Greater Noida
- Apollo College of Physiotherapy, Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Health Education & Research, Patna
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
- Guru Gobind Indraprastha University, New Delhi
- Good Communication Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Administrative Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Team working Skills
- Sound knowledge of the subject
There is a good opportunity in this professional field. First you will be called a doctor and your role will be of physiotherapist.
In today’s generation, people are facing so many muscular skeletal problems in their daily lifestyle. The life is very busy and we have been habitual of the mechanization. Due to not using the muscles capacity in our daily life, we used to have backache, sciatica, lumbago and many disabilities.
The physiotherapist is one who helps in curing such disorders. A physio can be a health counsellor, doctor, physical trainer and sports coach.
After the completion of the course you may go for the higher study as M.PT or PhD. To work with the hospitals, health organizations or individual practice, it is necessary to have the bachelor degree.
You can work with the ministry of sports, stadium, hospitals, health societies and you can do the freelance practice. There is a good opportunity to go abroad after the completion of this course as the heavy requirement such in the US, UK and others.
You can also work in rehabilitation centres, industrial health units, schools, In armed forces and universities.
Once you have completed your degree in Physiotherapy, you can work in the given specializations:
- Pediatrics Physiotherapy
- Obstetrics Physiotherapy
- Sports Physiotherapy
- Neurology Physiotherapy
- Orthopedic Physiotherapy
- Geriatrics Physiotherapy
- Post Operative Physiotherapy
- Cardiovascular Physiotherapy
Physiotherapist are hired by all fitness organizations & hospitals. The top recruiters are as the following:
- Talwalkars Pantaloon Fitness Pvt Ltd
- Hospitals and health centers
- Intellectual Resource Training Private Limited
- Fitness centers
- Help Age India
- Hosmat Hospital
- Medybiz Pvt Ltd
- Fortis Hospital
- Apollo Hospital
The initially package of physiotherapist depends on the college where he got the degree and the company where he will be working.
The initial salary of a physiotherapist in India is Rs. 2 to 2.5 lakh per year. But after the gaining of experience and higher degree the salary can be increased upto the 5 lakh depend on the company.
In abroad, you can earn salary up to $76,310 per year.
Books & Study Material
- Orthopedic Physical Assessment by David J Magee
- Therapeutic Exercise by Carol Kisner
- The Principles of Exercise Therapy by Deena Gardiner
- Manual Therapy Approaches In Neuro-Physiotherapy by Ganvir Suvarna
- Manual of Mulligan Concept (Revised Edition) by Deepak Kumar
- Manipulative Physiotherapy Assessment, Treatment and Improvisation by Biswas Amrit
- Essentials of Orthopedics for Physiotherapists by Ebnezar
If you have any other queries about Career in Physiotherapy, you can ask your query below.