Career In Radiology
If you want to see yourself as a radiologists, then you can refer this article for complete guide.
Have you seen images of X-ray? or heard about MRI?
In the field of radiology, your study curriculum will consist of all these terms.
Do you know – “What does Radiology means”?
“Radiology is one of the exciting and interesting medical courses that makes the use of imaging to distinguish and treat diseases available in the body” .
A radiographer produces radiography of patients with the help of X-ray to find the exact medical condition of the patient. In addition with X-ray, a radiographer also considers CT scans, ultrasounds and MRI for producing radiography.
Radiology field is broadly divided into two areas namely diagnostic radiology and interventional radiology.
Diagnostic Radiology is the specialization of medicine that uses the images of X-Ray and other imaging techniques to diagnose the disease and injury of patient.
Interventional Radiology is the another medical specialty that also uses imaging techniques (X-ray, CT, MRI and ultrasound) for direction. Patients can be treated and diagnosed using minimally invasive procedures.
The need of educated and professional radiology technologists in hospitals, clinics, and physicians’ offices are increasing continuously. The field of radiography will be continued to show higher than average job growth into the future. After completing your degree in this field you will become Radiologist (MD), Radiology Technologists/ Radiographer, Radiology Technicians, Ultrasound Technician/ Diagnostic Medical Sonographer, MRI Technician, CT Tech/ CAT Scan Technologist/ CT Scan Technologist.
Techniques Used in Radiology
To determine or discover the diseases within the human body, a radiologists uses a variety of imaging techniques that include X-ray radiography, ultrasound, Computed Tomography (CT), Nuclear medicine such as Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) to diagnose and treat the diseases.
Courses & Duration
Also Check – Courses after 12th Science
You can pursue diploma courses, bachelor’s course, master’s course and certification courses in the field of radiology. You can apply for UG courses after completing 12th. The courses offered in radiology are mentioned below:
- Certificate in Radiography
- Certificate in Radiology Assistant
- Certificate in Radiography Diagnostic
Diploma Courses – 2 years
- Diploma in Radiography and Radiotherapy
- Diploma in Radio-diagnostic Technology
Bachelor’s Courses – 3 years
- B.Sc in Radiography
- B.Sc (Hons.) in Medical Radiotherapy Technology
Master’s Courses – 2 years
- Post Graduate Diploma in Radiotherapy Technology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Radio-diagnosis and Imaging Sciences
- Post Graduate Diploma in X-ray Radiography and Ultra-sonography
How to become a Radiologists?
- Career of radiologists begins with earning a bachelor’s degree. After graduating from medical school, you are awarded with the degree of M.O. (or D.O.). Now, you can apply for the medical license and will be considered as a physician.
- Now, a physician must have completed four years of a radiology residency to become a radiologists.
- State license is very important for radiologists. The license will be provided after the two-part examination covering medicine, anatomy, imaging modalities and physics.
Radiology can be done in the following specializations:
- Breast-imaging specialist
- Diagnostic radiology
- Genitourinary radiology
- Cardiovascular radiologist
- Emergency radiology
- Radiation oncology
- Gastrointestinal radiology
- Nuclear radiology
- Pediatric radiology
A good radiologists must be skilled in the following areas:
- A complete understanding of medical and human anatomy that relates human health.
- Strong technical skills is required as they have to work on computer.
- Excellent vision and analytical skills are required.
- One must have interest and solid background in Biology, Physiology and Anatomy.
Top colleges of India offers medical education in radiology are listed here:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune (AFMC 2024)
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research, Pondicherry
- Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi
- Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
Jobs & Career Opportunities
Career in working as radiology technologist is a smart choice!
It is a demanding profession.
The career and job opportunities in the field of radiography are very extensive. The demand of radiographers has been increased in recently, with the development in technologies the medical science created a new and wide scope in radiology. In India, the radiographers can work both in private & government hospitals. Numbers of jobs are available on part time and full-time work.
After completing your course you will become a radiographer. The radiographers perform the ultrasound test which is known as sonography. The employment prospects for radiographers are vast, both within the country and in overseas. Radiographers are constantly in demand in various health centres like nursing homes, hospitals, diagnostic centres as well as super-specialty hospitals.
Radiology field is expanding vastly in the area of medicine. Due to advances in computer technology, this field gets the advantage as it is closely linked to modern imaging.
You are provided with the job as per your specialization, experience and skills. There are several career paths available in the radiology field.
Job Profile in Radiography:
- Radiology Technician
- Radiology Assistant
- Radiology Technologist/Radiographer
- Radiology Nurse
- Ultrasound Technician / Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
- MRI Technician
- CT Tech / CAT Scan Technologist / CT Scan Technologist
Common working places where an radiologist can work:
- Government Hospitals
- Private Hospitals
- Public Health Centres
- Diagnostic Labs
- Nursing Homes
There are a lucrative jobs for the radiologists. Mostly, radiologists are required in hospitals.
In India, Radiology is growing at a rapid pace!
How much does a radiologist make?
A radiologist will get the salary depending upon their job titles. The average pay of a radiologist is $ 79,037 per year. In India, an average salary of Rs 545,630 per year has been paid to the Physician / Doctor, Radiologist.
A physician/Doctor/Radiologists need not to think about salary, their salary is good as compared to other professions.
Books & Study Materials
You can refer these books for the preparation of radiography. Some of the best highly recommended books are listed here:
- Radiology at a glance – Rajat Chowdhury
- Clinical Guide to Sonography – Charlotte Henningsen
- Obstetric Ultrasound – Trish Chudleigh
- Core Radiology by Jacob Mandell
- Radiology of the urinary system (The Little, Brown Library of radiology) by Milton Elkin
- Bontrager’s Handbook of Radiographic Positioning and Techniques – Kenneth L.Bontrager
- Radiography PREP Program Review and Exam Preparation, Seventh Edition – D.A. Saia
For more information regarding Radiology Courses, you may ask your query below.