Career In Veterinary
If you love animals and Science, then you might want be a veterinarian.
Who are veterinarians and what connection they have with animals?
Veterinarians are basically animal doctors who diagnosis and prescribe treatments for animals.
The physicians who treat human being when they are sick are called doctors and those who treat animals when they are sick or injured are called vets (veterinarians).
Simply, we can say that
“Veterinary is the branch of medicine that basically deals with finding, curing a prevention of diseases on animals”.
Veterinary medicine covers all types of animals either it is domesticated or wild. It is the field of Medical Courses.
Is there any career in working with animals?
Yes, it may be proud for you to be a veterinarian because this profession not only requires higher education but also needs your love towards the animals.
What are the academic and professional requirements needed to become a veterinarian?
Here, is the answer…………..
If you have interest in this field of medicine and have passion for animals then you can continue your career as a veterinarian.
Also Check – Courses After 12th Science
The courses offered under veterinary science are as follows:
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry (B.V.Sc & AH) – 5 years
- BV. Sc. in Animal Genetics and Breeding
- BV. Sc. in Animal Production & Management
- BV. Sc. in Veterinary Surgery & Radiology
- BV. Sc. in Veterinary Medicine, Public Health & Hygiene
- Master of Veterinary Science (M.V.Sc) – 3 years
- MV. Sc in Veterinary Medicine
- MV. Sc in Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology
- MV. Sc in Veterinary Surgery & Radiology
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Veterinary Medicine
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Veterinary Pathology
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology
For admission to UG Courses, you must have passed 10+2 with biology, chemistry and physics.
For admission to PG courses, you should have a bachelor’s degree in veterinary science.
Previously, Veterinary Council of India conducts All India Pre Veterinary Test (AIPVT 2019) for admission to Bachelor of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry (B.V.Sc & AH). It was the examination of 3 hours duration and contains 180 objective type questions from PCB group. From the year 2017, this exam has been scraped by NEET 2019. So candidates have to qualify NEET exam to get admission in Veterinary courses.
Veterinary from USA:
- Complete undergraduate degree in either biological or physical sciences. Undergraduate degree must focus on the chemistry, biology, zoology, physiology, microbiology and anatomy.
- Earn the degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) from American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) accredited veterinary schools. To become a veterinarian, you have to attain the degree in veterinary science that includes the study of 4-years in veterinary school.
- After the completion of 4-year DVM, you are required to obtain licensure to practice in this profession . You have to appear the North American Veterinary Licensing exam (NAVLE) for obtaining license.
- You will be eligible to practice as a veterinarian after acquiring licensure.
ADMISSION OPEN 2019
- MIT World Peace University, Pune B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- DIT University, Dehradun - B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Symbiosis Institute of Technology B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chitkara University B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chandigarh University (Ranked 1 in North India) - Application Open.
All veterinary colleges doesn’t require bachelor’s degree for admission. Some of them requires a fixed number of undergraduate credit hours and pre-veterinary courses in organic chemistry, zoology, biology and physiology.
Admission to veterinary schools is also offered on the basis of satisfactory score in the admission test namely Graduate Record Examination (GRE), Medical Common Admission Test (MCAT) or Veterinary College Admission Test (VCAT).
Some colleges to pursue Veterinary Science courses are:
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bareilly
- National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal
- Veterinary College and Research Institute, Namakkal
- College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Bikaner
Job & Career
Become a veterinarian and create a difference!
Veterinarians are high demanded in countries like Canada, US and many more. The career scope of veterinary science is large and is growing faster in this era of modern world.
Veterinarians work in private clinics, animal hospitals and laboratories.
Duties of Veterinarians
- The job of veterinarian is not just limited to healing the illness of animals but it is expanded to research work also.
- Veterinarians also carries out research about spreading of diseases from animals.
- They have the responsibility of both human well-being and animal.
- Being a veterinarian, they have the duty of providing education and suggestion to pet owners about general medical care and routine vaccines of animals.
- Their job duties include treat and heals the wounds of animals.
You can choose your career as a veterinarian in any of the following specializations.
Veterinarians are of different types:
Companion animal veterinarians – They usually work in private hospitals and provides treatment to pet animals like dogs, cats, birds, etc.
Equine veterinarian – They generally work with horses and provides medical treatment to them.
Food animal veterinarians – Here, veterinarians treats the illness and injuries of farm animals like pig, cattle, ships and literate the farm owners about fooding and other health practices.
Food safety & Inspection Veterinarians – This type of veterinarians are generally involved in the research of finding and preventing diseases that is transmissible among animals and between animals and humans.
Research Veterinarians – They work in laboratories and involved in the research of finding new technical surgical techniques.
The Job Title of veterinarian may be:
- Veterinarian Assistant
- Veterinarian Technician
- Veterinary physician
- Veterinarian food inspection specialist
- Associate veterinarian
- Veterinary surgeon
- Veterinary pharmacologist
- Veterinary epidemiologist
- Veterinary neurologist
- Veterinary dermatologist
If talking about salary, then earnings is also good as compared to other ordinary professions.
The salary of veterinarian may vary country to country. They will get the starting pay of $60,000 to $80,000 and it can increase depending upon experience and your specialization.
In India, the remuneration of a vet exists in between Rs 10,000 to 50,000 per month depending upon the type of practice and experience.
Books & Study Materials
Here, some books are recommended for the preparation of veterinary medicine and are listed below:
Quick Reference to Veterinary Medicine by William R. Fenner
Veterinary Medical Terminology by Dawn E. Christenson
Text Book of Veterinary Internal Medicine by Abdel Khalek El – Sheikh, Hamed Attia, Hatem Selim
An illustrated guide to Veterinary Medical terminology fourth edition by Janet Amundson Romich
Veterinary Microbiology: Bacterial and Fungal Agents of Animal Disease first edition by J. Glenn Songer
Veterinary Medicine: A Textbook of the Diseases of Cattle, Horses, Sheep, Pigs and Goats by Otto M. Radostits
Applied Veterinary Clinical Nutrition by Andrea J. Fascetti
For more information regarding Veterinary, you may ask your queries below.