“Physical education” is one of the growing fields of educational study as well as the profession. The physical education contains the knowledge and study of all body activities and psychomotor activities during the playing and movement.
In some criterion institutes, the training in physical education is mandatory during the school. The physical education is also available at the part-time course.
What is Physical Education?
It will be one of the constituent parts of the Indian Education System.
Now, sports are not just a hobby. You can build your career in physical education.
“Physical Education (PE) is a course that keeps concentrate on the physical fitness of the students.”
The benefits of introducing physical education as a subject in school or college levels are that it makes students physically fit with the interest in various sports activities. Physical Education is a mandatory subject in most of the colleges and schools.
The movements of your body parts with some exercises and games are also referred to as physical training or physical education. In most of the commonwealth countries, it is known as “Physical Training”. It is somehow related to the physique of the human body. Physical education helps students in developing their physical health as well a confidence.
Physical education focuses on the development of physical and mental fitness, development of character and personality & also development of neuromuscular skills.
Benefits of Physical Education
There are numbers of benefits of adopting physical education such as given below:
- Strengthen Cardio Vascular Activities: By doing various types of warm-up activities, it will lead to the effective blood circulation in your body and you will become healthy.
- Control your weight: One who exercise daily will never face any kind of diseases. They will always being a deficit of calories, which reduces the fat and balances weight.
- Decreases the Sugar Level: Performing exercises prevent sugar accumulating in the blood by triggering muscles to take up more glucose from the bloodstream.
- Increase your Energy Level: If a person doing physical exercises by following a daily routine, then it will definitely make them healthier and fresh all the time. It feels person energetic and allow them to be more active and create positivity in individuals.
Courses & Duration
Physical education has various certificate, diploma and degree courses in a wide curriculum. At present, it is a big choice of the students after 12th standard. The best part of this course is that the student of any discipline can get the admission in physical education.
These courses encourage the students against the physical or sports education. There is an age criterion in some of the certificate course. Physical education is a main stream subject in most of the colleges and schools. This subject counts as a supportive subject.
The physical education has three levels of study after 12th as the following:
- Certificate courses: Certificate courses are taken the duration of one year after 12th in any stream. The list of certificate courses:
- Yoga & yoga science
- Yoga & naturopathy
- Diploma courses: Diploma courses are taken the duration of two years after 12th in any stream. The list of diploma courses:
- Yoga teacher training
- Yoga & physical education
- Physical education
- Degree courses: Degree courses are taken the duration of three years after 12th in any stream. The list of degree courses:
- B.A. (Yoga)
- B.A. (Physical Education)
- B.P.Ed (Physical Education)
Eligibility & Admission
For the admission of all these programmes the student must have to pass the 10+2 standard or equivalent examination. The student who wishes to pursue the degree in physical education must be fit in physique and should adhere to the daily exercise.
There is a criterion of entrance test to access the aptitude of the aspirant. The entrance test is the PECET (Physical Education Common Entrance Test).
Career & Jobs
Today, the trend of sports is becoming broader at worldwide level. There are plenty of requirements for experts in physical education. To produce such experts, the education in physique and sports has been established in everywhere.
Physical education as a profession is a very demanding profession in which you can earn very good money. It is very good profession for anyone who wants to spread the awareness regarding physical fitness.
After the completion of this course the student may go for the higher study in sports and physical education or get the job in health and sports industries.
There are various job opportunities available for you in the field of Physical Education. You can start your own Gym or Fitness center.
The job profiles of this field are:
- Athletic Coach
- Community/ Commercial Recreation
- Cardiovascular Fitness Instructor
- Nutrition Specialist
- Activities Director
- Corporate Fitness Instructor
- Rehabilitation Specialist
- Physical Therapist
- Personal Trainer
- Social Director
After the completion of this course, you can get the job opportunity in:
- Health clubs
- Sports clubs
- Ministry of sports
- Stadium staff
- Schools & colleges
- Corporate teams
- Health & sports related organizations
- Observation & Analytical Skills
- Knowledge of Health Issues and Physical Activity
- Motivation, Empathy and Leadership Skills
- Good Explanation Ability
- Attention to Detail Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Awareness of the environmental effect on human health
- Mentoring & Guiding skills
In the beginning, you can earn Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 20,000 on a monthly basis. The salary in the field of Physical education depends upon the sports you have chosen. After an experience & on the basis of the skills, the salary will rise with multi-fold.
Books & Study Material
- Learning to Teach Physical Education in the Secondary School: A Companion to School Experience by Susan Capel
- Sport Education in Physical Education: Research Based Practice by Dawn Penney, Gill Clarke, Mandy Quill, Gary D. Kinchin
- Introduction to Physical Education, Fitness, and Sport by Daryl Siedentop
- Foundations of Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Sport by Deborah A. Wuest
- Advanced Statistics; With Applications to Physical Education by Harrison Clarke
- A Framework for Physical Education in the Early Years by Hazel Kathleen Manners, Margaret E. Carroll
If you have any other queries about Physical Education, you can ask your query below.