Career In Politics
If you are fascinated by politics and have the passion to do something good for the country then you can choose your career in Politics.
Want to bring a change in the system, go ahead in the field of politics!
Politics is one of the fastest emerging career fields among the today’s young generation.
What is Politics?
“Politics is the way that people living in groups make decisions. In everyday life, the term “Politics” is the way that government make rules and laws for governing the countries”.
The people who are politically active and holding a position within a government through elections are called Politicians.
Political Science/Political Studies/Public Administration is the field of study of politics in Universities/institutions.
Indian Politics- when there is neither a need of cracking any tough exams nor required a professional degree. Politics is perhaps the most dynamic field where things change in a second.
A politician is not only a representative of the people, but he is also involved in the law making process by supporting the bills and ordinances.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Understanding of political scenarios is required.
- Team working skills as “A good leader is one who can be a good team member”.
- Ability to interact with diverse populations
- Enhance your leadership quality and ideas by following good leaders.
One can pursue this course after passing higher secondary education examination. It has the duration of 3 years.
Candidates have to meet the given eligibility criteria to get admission into UG & PG Courses:
- For UG courses, candidates have to complete their 10+2 examination from a recognized board.
- For PG Courses, candidates have to pass their graduation degree.
Also Check – Courses after 12th
Courses & Duration
Students who want to make their career in politics, they will have to study political science & history. They can also work as an intern & volunteering and get involved in local issues & campaigns involving the masses.
There are no specific degrees in politics, but Law, Business & Education are the most trending choice of the candidates. Students of any other degree can also join politics.
Degree in political science is available at graduate level, master’s level and doctorate levels.
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A ) in Political Science
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Political Science
- Bachelor of Arts (Honors) in Political Science
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A) in Politics
Also Check – Arts & Humanities courses after 12th.
The duration of the Master courses is two years:
- Master of Arts (M.A) in Political Science
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Politics Research
- Master of Arts (M.A) in International Relations and Political Science
- Master of Arts (M.A) in Political Science and Public Administration
You can also go for the postgraduate study in order to develop your knowledge or to specialize in the particular area. The subjects at master’s level include:
- Human Rights
- Politics and Communication
- Politics & Public Policy
- International Politics
- International Relations
- American Politics
Doctoral degree (Ph.D) in Political science is also offered in the field of politics.
- M.Phill in Political Science
- M.Phill in Politics
- M.Phill in International Politics
- Ph.D in International Politics
- Ph.D in Political Science
- Ph.D in Politics
The admission to the above-mentioned courses is based on the entrance test, merit basis (class 12th percentage). The admission to the above-mentioned courses is offered by many reputed universities.
Jobs & Career Scope
Politics can be a challenging and rewarding field for people, those who want to create a life in service of other people.
There are several career paths in the field of politics. Interested candidates can make a full-time career in politics.
Aspirants can join politics at any time of their age and at any level of their education. There is no particular academic requirement for joining the politics.
As per the constitution of India, minimum age of 25 years is required for contesting the election.
There are only two paths to start a political career in Indian Democracy. First, you can join the established party or by joining new party & working independently.
You can work in an office, manage campaigns, or work in a policy environment. You can also work as an intern for a government agency, an elected official, a non-profit group or a political action committee. Most political internships are unpaid, but they are very useful in getting the experience you need.
Beyond working on a campaign, there are many different jobs in politics, such as working on legislation, political strategists, media relations & public relations positions, pollsters & political consultant’s campaign managers & consultants, etc.
Politics graduates are employed by:
- law firms
- local and national government
- accountancy and banking organizations
- retail and media companies
A graduate in political science has many attractive career options that include political journalism, civil services, administrative services, political advisors, federal, state and local government, research and teaching. Such candidates can also start their career in the field of law.
To become, MLA, MLC or MP, you are required to start your career in politics with the bottom level.
Get engaged in the political process or join any political party as a volunteer as at the time of election party leaders are always looking for volunteers.
Start analyzing political scenarios of the country and make connections with the political leaders.
Joining student political groups or contesting for elections in unions is the initial step to enter into politics.
You have to build your leadership qualities by listening good leaders and understanding their ideologies.
In addition to being a trained communicator, you will need to know the government and the political procedure.
- Legislative Aide
- Policy Analyst
- Communications Coordinator
- Political Pollsters
- Campaign Manager
- Political Consultant
- Media Strategist
- Chief of Staff
How much salary a politician can earn?
Salary in the field of politics depends upon your designation and post.
In India, MLA receives an annual salary of 6 lacs. The MLA daily allowance for each day of attending parliament is Rs. 2000.
In abroad, the basic annual salary of all MLAs is near around $91,201.00.
Books & Study Material
- India After Gandhi: The History of the World’s Largest Democracy by Ramachandra Guha
- The Discovery of India by Jawaharlal Nehru
- Indira Gandhi – Tryst with power by Nayantara Sahgal
- “Democracy in America,” by Alexis de Tocqueville
- American Ulysses: A Life of Ulysses S. Grant by Ronald C. White Jr.
- Hatred in the belly: Politics behind the appropriation of Dr Ambedkar’s writings by Ambedkar Age Collective
For more information about Career in Politics, you may ask your query by commenting below.