Career In Master of Science (M.Sc)
After graduating in the science field…. Looking for master courses in the same field?
“Master of Science (M.Sc) is one of the best courses opted by students in the science field.”
Master of Science is a master’s degree awarded by universities or colleges for studies in a specific branch of science, technology, mathematics, etc.
Usually, it is an academic degree which is higher than a bachelor’s degree and lower than a doctoral (P.hD) degree.
In India, M.Sc degrees are generally related to science field while in UK & USA, M.Sc degrees are for all science, engineering and technology programmes.
“Master of Science degree is based on scientific learning.”
In history, Bologna Accord was a major step taken by European Countries to unite the different types of education across Europe’s many universities.
M.Sc is the postgraduate degree programme in Science which enables the students to use their knowledge in different areas.
Scope of Master of Science (M.Sc)
After completing bachelor degree, you can pursue a master degree in science. It is the best choice for science graduate students. The scope of M.Sc is very much demanding & you can gain a respectable job in this area after completing the programme with good grades. There are various specializations that one can pursue in M.Sc programme. In each and every specialization, opportunities are available in Medicine, chemical, petrochemical & Polymer industries. After passing master degree in science, you can go for a research study in top organizations such as BAARC, ISRO, etc. You can also work in a government & private sectors in various technical & non-technical posts.
Courses & Eligibility
Students will get admission into the Master of Science (M.Sc) programme after completing their bachelor degree. You can opt the courses as per your interest. There are various specializations in M.Sc programme.
Eligibility for M.Sc:
M.Sc is a two years duration course with four semesters. Students can pursue this course after completing their graduation. Students have to secure minimum 55% marks in the qualifying examination.
Age limit criteria are not applicable to this course, anyone can study this course after they finish their graduation or even at a later stage.
How to get admission?
For admission in M.Sc students are required to clear the entrance test. Some universities provide admission without any entrance exams i.e. on the basis of academic performance and Personal Interview.
Entrance Exams for M.Sc are:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS PG 2019) exam
- Indian Institute of Technology – Joint Admission Test (IIT JAM 2019)
- Indira Gandhi National Open University Entrance Exam (IGNOU 2019)
- University of Pune Entrance Exam
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University Entrance Exam (IPU CET 2019)
- Indian School of Mines Entrance Exam
- Delhi University Entrance Test (DUET 2019)
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST 2019)
Specializations in this field:
M.Sc is a perfect option for those students looking to specialize in a science or engineering discipline at the advanced level. Through M.Sc degree you can specialize in various fields some of them are listed here:
- M.Sc. in Physics
- M.Sc. in Economics
- M.Sc. in Biological Sciences
- M.Sc. in Chemistry
- M.Sc. in Mathematics
- M.Sc. in Information Technology
- M.Sc. in Clinical Psychology
- M.Sc. in Organisational Leadership
- M.Sc. in Biotechnology
- M.Sc. in Atmospheric Science
- M.Sc. in Electronics
- M.Sc. in Environmental Science
- M.Sc. in Meteorology
- M.Sc. in Geology
- M.Sc in Zoology
- M.Sc in Botany
In India, the top colleges to pursue M.Sc degree are:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- National Institute of Technology, Karnataka
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
Career Scope & Jobs
“M.Sc degree covers a large area in career prospects.”
Generally, M.Sc degree holders specialize in a particular field. They can move into various jobs according to their studied field.
This course has a great scope & there are various opportunities available for the M.Sc graduates.
At present, M.Sc degree holders in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Information Technology are high in demand. While other fields are also in demand in private sectors. An M.Sc degree holder can work in both government & private sectors.
An M.Sc degree holder can work in various fields like education, defense, public sector, automotive and aerospace industries, healthcare, materials, technology, computing, energy and information technology.
Some colleges and universities appoint M.Sc. degree holders as a professor or lecturer. They can also perform research work in various industries.
After completion of your degree in M.Sc, you can also go for the further higher studies such as research programmes or Ph.D. courses.
After completing your degree, you can work in various organizations and companies. A list of the job area where you can work after post graduation in science are:
- Government Sector
- Private Sector
- Research Assistant
- Lab Technician
- Field Officer
- Researcher and accountant
- Quantitative Developer
- Assistant Professor
- Junior Software Engineer
Students who complete M.Sc in Physics with high percentage can apply for jobs at NASA. M.Sc in Mathematics graduates can work in different government organizations such as DRDO (Defense Research and Development Organization) & ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization). There are lots of opportunities not only in India but also in foreign nations for M.Sc graduates.
Salary & PayScale
An M.Sc degree holder can earn an average salary of Rs.25k to Rs.35k per month. There are many companies in both sectors which offer a higher salary package to M.Sc degree holders.
Salaries will also depend upon the working field, size of company, sector, location, qualification and many others. Good experience in this field can help you to get a handsome salary package.
“More experience = Bigger Salary”
Books & Study Materials
Best books for M.Sc students are listed here:
- Classical Mechanics by H.Goldstein, Narosa
- Inorganic Chemistry by Shriver and Atkins
- Principle of Mathematical Analysis by Walter Rudin
- IT Business Partnerships: A Field Guide: Paving the Way for Business and Technology Convergence by Joseph Topinka
- Zoology – A Complete Guide by Dr. Anita Sehgal
- A Manual of Botany by Bahadur, R Acharik
For more information regarding Master of Science (M.Sc), ask your queries below.