Career In Nanotechnology
Nanotechnology is the demanding field of science and technology.
What is Nanotechnology?
“Nanotechnology refers to the branch of technology that deals with the manipulation of matter on an atomic, molecular and supramolecular scale”.
In simple words, we can say that,
Nanotechnology is the field of science and technology of developing nanoparticles and materials that have the size within the range of nanometers.
Building small materials and machines resulting into faster and powerful technology is Nanotechnology.
Nanotechnology consists of working on the nanoscale (the scale that can’t be seen with light microscope due to its small size).
One nanometer is one-billionth of a meter in size.
Nanotechnology is the study of material that has the size in between 1 to 100 nanometers. It can be used in all other science fields like chemistry, biology, physics, materials science, and engineering.
The concept of nanotechnology was first discussed by the famous physicist Richard Feynman in 1959. The word “Nanotechnology” was coined by the Norio Taniguchi in 1974.
Applications of Nanotechnology in Everyday Life
- We are using nanotechnology products in our daily life. Nanotechnology is used in the manufacture of the number of products that we are used in our daily life.
- Nanotechnology products are used in metals, polymers, ceramics, and biomaterials. Nanotechnology is used in the production of high-tech materials or microscopic devices.
- Nanotechnology is used in the manufacture of clothes, sunglasses, cosmetics, etc. Silver nanoparticles are used in food packaging and household appliances.
- Nanosize components are used in DVD and CD players.
- In future nanotechnology might be used in developing new medicines and pharmaceuticals.
In future, it is expected that amazing nanotech-based product will develop that include powerful tiny computers, advanced systems for drug delivery and many more.
The nanotechnology has come to have a diverging impact on many aspects of our daily lives, the opportunities in this career field are growing rapidly. There is numerous of job sectors in which you can employed such as Environmental observing, control, Food science including quality control and packaging, Forensics, federal lab research, Military and national security, Energy capture and storage, Electronic industries, Material science including textiles, polymers, packaging, among others, Auto and aerospace industries, Sporting goods, Biotechnology, Medical fields and pharmaceutical and many more areas.
Courses & Eligibility
Education in the field of nanotechnology is offered at postgraduate level and doctorate level. No institution in India offers bachelor courses in nanotechnology.
Candidates holding B.Tech degree in Material science, Mechanical, Biomedical, Chemical, Biotechnology , Electronics and Computer Science or B.Sc in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Life Sciences can apply for the postgraduate courses in nanotechnology
- M.Sc in Nanotechnology
- M.Sc in Nanoscience and Technology
- M.Tech in Nanotechnology
- M.Tech in Material Science and Nanotechnology
- M.Tech in Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nanotechnology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nanoscience and Technology
Candidates can also opt B.Tech + M.tech in Nanotechnology (Dual degree) – 5 years duration.
Candidates seeking for undergraduate courses in nanotechnology are required to clear the intermediate examination in science stream (PCM/PCB) (Medical Courses after 12th)
For admission to postgraduate courses in nanotechnology, a candidate must have passed the B.Sc in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Life Sciences or B.Tech in Material science/Mechanical/Biomedical/Chemical/Biotechnology/Electronics / Computer Science from recognized University.
For admission to Ph.D programmes, a candidate must have passed M. Tech in Mechanical, Chemical, Electronic, Biotechnology, Computer Science etc. or an M. Sc in Physics, Chemistry, Material Science, Biotechnology, Computer Science etc.
Institutions that offer nanotechnology courses are mentioned below:
- National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra
- National Institute of Technology, Calicut
- Amity University, Noida
- SRM University, Kattankulathur
IISC in Bangalore, Karunya University in Coimbatore, Osmania University in Hyderabad, Anna University in Chennai and Vellore Institute of Technology in Vellore has a dedicated nanotechnology research centers.
Several Universities/institutions conduct their own entrance examination for providing admission. It is mandatory for the students to appear entrance test for taking admission. For admission to the M.Tech programme, Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE 2021) is conducted every year.
Other reputed entrance exam for admission to M.Tech programme is as follows:
- Vellore Institute of Technology Master’s Entrance Exam (VITMEE 2021)
- SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Examination (SRMJEEE 2021)
- Aligarh Muslim University Postgraduate Entrance Exam (AMU 2021)
- Indian Institute of Space Science &Technology (IIST 2021)
- Joint Admission Test for M.Sc. (IIT JAM 2021)
Colleges offering Nanotechnology
- SRM University, Tamilnadu
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad
- Punjab University, Chandigarh
- Amity Institute of Nanotechnology (AINT), Noida, UP
- Amrita Centres for Nanosciences, Kerala
Jobs & Career Scope
“Career opportunity in the field of nanotechnology is expanding rapidly”.
Plenty of career options available for nanotechnology professionals. Opportunities exist in medical, healthcare industry research, environment industries, pharmaceutical, agriculture, product development and advising, communication, and media.
The nanotechnology field is appropriate for scientists, engineers, and technicians.
In the field of engineering, nanotechnology is used by engineers to develop computer components and microscopic sensors.
As we know nanotechnology is used everywhere, so, the need of nanotechnology is demanding and changes it faces at every step.
Aspirants can create their career in this field with better remuneration. The research studies in this field are the very good choice for those wish to pursue higher studies. The use of Nanotechnology is wide and vast such as in food science, in medical, in engineering, and many others.
Candidates specialized in nanotechnology can work in the following areas:
- Electronics/semiconductor industry
- Auto and aerospace industries
- Medical fields and pharmaceuticals
- Military and national security
- Food science including quality control and packaging
Jobs profiles for nanotechnology professionals:
- Applications Engineer
- Director of Product Marketing
- Manufacturing Engine
- Director of Research
- Optical Engineer
- Product Marketing Engineer
- Technical Program Manager
- Research Scientist
- Research & Development Engineers
- Product Marketing Manager
“Professionals of this field earns good salary package”
In US, the salary of nanotechnology engineering technicians ranges from $30,000 to $94,000.
The starting remuneration in this field depends upon the industry. A fresher will gets the annual salary of around 3 lacs. Salary varies in the public and private sector.
Books & Study Materials
Some books related to nanotechnology are listed below:
- Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology by Hari Singh Nalwa
- Introduction to Nanoscience and Nanotechnology by Gabor L . Hornyak, Harry F. Tibbals, John J. Moore
- Handbook of Nanotechnology by Parag Diwan
- Introduction to Nanotechnology by Charles P. Poole, Frank J. Owens
- Nanotechnology Fundamentals and Applications by Manasi Karkare
For more information about Career in Nanotechnology, you may ask us by commenting below.