Career In Yoga
Interested in Yoga but not sure where to start, looking for information about career opportunities in this field?…… So this article is a must read for you.
The Yoga word has been derived from the Sanskrit word “yuj” which means “to yoke (join)” the spirit and physical body together.
In simple words, Yoga is a Hindu philosophy that teaches a person to experience inner peace by controlling the mind and body.
“Yoga is a very popular activity among children, athletes and seniors.”
Yoga has come into existence around in 5th or 6th BCE, in ancient India’s ascetic and śramaṇa movements.
Benefits of Yoga:
- Increase your flexibility.
- It helps to build muscle strength.
- Prevents from cartilage and joint breakdown.
- Maintains healthy lifestyle.
- Gives you peace of mind.
- Increase concentration.
- Relief from stress.
- Gaining more control over emotions.
At present, yoga has a very good impact on our life and it is very demanding in today lifestyle and students are seeking towards to make career in this field.
Professionals, those shares their knowledge of the science of meditation & yoga are called as Yoga Teachers or Yogis.
There is a great career scope of yoga not in India but also in abroad. Yoga is an ancient art & natural ways to keep our body fit & healthy. Yoga not only helps physically, but in improving mental health.
ADMISSION OPEN 2019
- MIT World Peace University, Pune B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- DIT University, Dehradun - B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Symbiosis Institute of Technology B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chitkara University B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chandigarh University (Ranked 1 in North India) - Application Open.
The integral part of Yoga is practiced physical exercises which called Asanas & breathing exercises which called Pranayam.
Fitness is the call of today’s world which raising the need of a yoga teacher or instructor on the global platform.
Courses & Eligibility
What are the courses to pursue in this field?
There are many courses available in this field by which students can make their career in this field. Some of the most sought courses are mentioned here:
- Certificate Course in Yoga (CCY): It is a one and a half month course with the eligibility of HSC passed. No age limit for this course.
- Bachelor in Arts (Yoga Philosophy): Duration of this course will be three years with the eligibility of 10+2 from any stream securing minimum 45% marks.
- UG. Diploma in Yoga Education: It is a one year duration course with six months internship with the eligibility of graduate from any stream with a certificate in Yoga.
- PG. Diploma in Yoga Therapy: It is a one year duration course with the eligibility of graduation with any stream from any recognized university.
- Master of Arts in Yoga: It is a two year duration course with the eligibility of minimum graduation from any stream.
- Advanced Yoga Teachers’ Training Course in Yoga (AYTTC): One month duration course with eligibility of certificate, diploma or graduation in yoga with two years teaching experience in yoga.
Apart from the academic qualifications, it is also necessary that you have some of the following skills which include:
- Good Communication Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Skills to motivate others to believe in yoga
- Strong Determination
- Have a will power to practice the most difficult “asanas” or yogic positions
On a professional level, you can usually specialize in any one of the following patterns:
- Yoga exercises for physical fitness
- Spiritual yoga
- Yoga therapy
- Yoga especially designed for kids
- Yoga designed to benefit of seniors
- Yoga for the couples
- Corporate yoga
- Prenatal and/or postnatal yoga
- Private lessons of yoga
- Retreats or workshops
You can pursue bachelor yoga courses after passing your 12th (Courses After 12th) class from any stream and for master courses you should hold a graduate degree in any stream. There is not any age limit for admission in yoga courses.
Best colleges to pursue yoga courses are:
- Sivananda Ashrams
- Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute
- Parmarth Niketan
- Ashtanga Institute
- Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari
- Gordhandas Seksaria College of Yoga & Cultural Synthesis
By seeing the benefits of Yoga, career opportunities in this field are increasing in India as well as in abroad also. After pursuing yoga courses, you can work in health clubs, yoga & pilates studios, special needs centre, private gym and in individual clients homes.
“After became a yoga instructor, you would usually be self-employed by running your own yoga school.”
For the Yoga Professionals, there are several job options available both in the government & private sectors. You can also self-employed by opening your own yoga center.
Yoga also opens various jobs in the given field such as research, management, hospital, academic, administrative, consultation, etc. The government has made it compulsory to have a Yoga teacher in every school.
Some job titles are:
- Yoga Instructor
- Yoga Therapist
- Yoga Advisor
- Yoga Specialist
- Yoga Practitioner
- Yoga Teacher
- Research Officer- Yoga and Naturopathy
- Yoga Aerobic Instructor
- Yoga Consultant
- Publication Officer (Yoga)
- Yoga Manager
- Government & Private Schools
- Yoga and Naturopathy colleges or institutions
- ESIC General Hospital Naroda Ahmedabad
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation
- Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy
- Centre Research Centers
Duties of a Yoga Instructor:
- Design courses & lesson plans.
- Analyze the fitness level & requirements of all participants.
- Demonstrate and perform all yoga exercises to participants.
- Design safe and comprehensive yoga programs for various participants.
- Monitor participant performance and recommend different yoga exercise.
“Salary packages are excellent in this field.”
In India, the average salary of a Yoga Instructor is between 10k to 25k per month. In abroad, they can get a good salary package in this field.
As a reputed instructor in this field with masters or Ph.D degree earning can be touched up to 1 lakh per month. Earning will also depend upon the location, sector, company, education, etc.
The highest paying jobs are in educational support services, followed by religious organizations.
Books & Study Materials
Searching for good books of yoga?………….. Here are some books which you can use to study yoga:
The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker’s Guide to Extraordinary Living by Stephen Cope
Yoga: The Greater Tradition by David Frawley
Light on Yoga: The Bible of Modern Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar
The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice by T.K.V. Desikachar
Yoga as Medicine by Timothy McCall
Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff
Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes by Mark Stephens
For more information regarding Yoga, you can ask your queries below.