NTA to Conduct JEE Main, NEET UG, & UGC NET 2019
The Union Cabinet chaired by PM Narendra Modi pass a proposal for the creation of the National Testing Agency (NTA). It is formed to organize high profile entrance tests which are conducted by the CBSE at present. The proposal for a centralized testing agency was shared in 2017 Budget. The Finance Minister, Arun Jaitley’s says “The motive behind setting up National Testing Agency (NTA) is to ensure one standardized test across the country”. The NTA will act as a Society registered under the Indian Societies Registration Act, 1860. The central government already funded 25 crores to NTA to initiate its operations in its first year of existence.
NTA to Conduct Twice in a Year – Confirmed
Note: NTA will organize JEE Main & NEET and UGC NET exam (twice in a year) from 2019. This has been officially confirmed by the union education minister Prakash Javadekar.
Here is the list of examinations:
Why NTA Formed?
- The purpose to set up NTA was to relieve CBSE from its duties of conducting examinations so as to focus on improving the quality of higher education in the nation.
- At present, CBSE conducts 9 types of examinations which include JEE Main, UGC NET, NEET & many others.
- NTA is formed to reduce allegations of variation in difficulty levels amongst different sets of papers.
- The aims of the NTA are to ensure a standardized difficulty level in the competitive examinations & run a smooth admissions procedure.
- The agency will work as an autonomous body.
- The MHRD (Ministry of Human Resource Development) will appoint an eminent educationist as the NTA chairperson & a board of governors which will represent the NTA member Institutions.
Changes with NTA
- From 2019, the agency will be responsible for organizing various national level examinations such as JEE Main, NEET, UGC NET, etc.
- UGC NET will be conducted twice in a year. It will help the students to relieve mounting pressure either pass the examination or wait for the one more year to get admission.
- All the exams will be held through online mode.
- Other examinations will be taken up gradually after NTA is fully geared up.
- In order to serve the requirements of the rural students, the agency will locate examination centers at sub-district/district level.