Career In Animal Husbandry
You have surely heard of the field of “Animal Husbandry”, but may be unclear about how to start a career in this field?…. So here,
let us explain you in detail about this field.
“Animal Husbandry is a field that works with animals and people.”
Animal Husbandry is a science of feeding, breeding and tending domestic animals, especially farm animals such as cattle, sheep, horses, hogs, etc.
Some examples of animal husbandry are Beekeeping, Dog breeding, Farming, Horse breeding, Pig farming, Raising cattle, Sheep farming, etc.
The first selective breeding for desired traits was established by Robert Bakewell, during the British Agricultural Revolution in the 18th century.
Animal Husbandry plays a vital role in rural areas because a large number of farmers depend upon the animal husbandry for their living.
A large number of Indian farmers depend upon animal husbandry for their livelihood. Globally the scope of animal husbandry is quite good. Their are ample jobs in this field like supplying of meat, egg, milk, wool, etc. The animal husbandry plays a vital role in increasing Indian economy. Animal husbandry is the branch of agriculture science. Animal husbandry professionals can run their own farms. You can also find work in more specialized areas. After completing your degree aspirants can work as an advisor to a commercial officer or management officer, you can also work as a relations manager, or entrepreneur, for a dairy cattle farmer. If you will work in animal husbandry your duties are:
- Regularly checking animal’s living area
- Preparing meals for them and feeding them
- Take care of their health and providing right medicine
Courses & Eligibility
Also Check: Top Courses After 12th Science
Want to become a professional in this field?…… then first pursue a course in this field.
Animal Husbandry field has lots of courses to pursue like diploma, bachelors and postgraduate courses. You can study courses in this field in India and in abroad. Mostly agricultural universities in India offer courses in this field. The bachelor degree course in this field is of four year duration and diploma course is of one year duration.
“In India, Animal Husbandry courses are quite similar to Veterinary Science courses.”
Here we have listed some courses by which you can make a career in this field:
- National Diploma in Animal Husbandry
- Diploma in Animal Husbandry
- Diploma in Animal Welfare Division of Medicine
- B.Sc in Animal Husbandry & Dairying
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry
Post Graduate Courses:
- M.Sc in Animal Husbandry & Dairying
- Ph.D in Animal Husbandry/ Animal Husbandry & Drying
- Ph.D in Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry
You may also check: Top Medical Courses
Basic requirements for graduate courses, candidates must have cleared 10+2 class with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English subjects. For master courses, students should have a bachelor degree in the related field.
ADMISSION OPEN 2019
- MIT World Peace University, Pune B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- DIT University, Dehradun - B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Symbiosis Institute of Technology B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chitkara University B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chandigarh University (Ranked 1 in North India) - Application Open.
Interested to get admission in these courses?
Students can get admission in UG courses after passing their 12th (Courses & Career options after 12th)with PCB subjects. After UG course in this field, they can apply for admission in master courses. Admission to most of the veterinary courses in most of the colleges is done on the basis of marks obtained in the entrance exam conducted by the various universities. AIPVT 2019 (All India Pre-Veterinary Test) exam has been replaced by NEET 2019 for filling up 15% of the total number of seats in the veterinary colleges. Some most sought colleges to pursue animal husbandry courses are listed below:
- Bombay Veterinary College, Mumbai
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University, Andhra Pradesh
- Faculty of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry, Jharkhand
- Lala Lajpat Rai University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Haryana
- Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Science University
- Central Agricultural University, Imphal
Jobs & Career Scope
“Animal Husbandry as a career offers immense job opportunities.”
After pursuing courses in this field you will be able to work with farm, zoo and lab animals anywhere in India and in abroad. Animal Husbandry sector also offers large self employment opportunities. You can also do teaching jobs in universities or colleges.
You can become professionals in this field including poultry, livestock, dairy and farmers. Most common career in animal husbandry is animal technician, animal caretaker, breeding supervisor and livestock farm manager.
Animal husbandry professionals can do the work themselves or oversee other workers, depending upon the size of the farm. After holding a degree in this field you can manage a livestock operation, consult for an agribusiness company or start your own breeding farm.
- Farm Manager
- Research Assistant
- Animal Husbandry Technician
- Subject Matter Specialist
- Post Graduate Teacher
- Animal Husbandry Officer
- Stud farms
- Poultry Farms
- Rabbit farms
- Veterinary Hospitals
- Wildlife Sanctuaries
- Animal Husbandry Clinics
- Zoological parks
- Dairy farms
Some major recruiters are:
- National Dairy Development Board (NDDB)
- Veterinary Council of India
- Indian Council for Agricultural Research
- State Animal Husbandry Department
- Central Cattle Breeding Farm
- Indian Forest Services
How much you will earn in this field?
In India, the average salary of a professional in this field is between Rs.12k to Rs. 17k per month. As a technologist or researchers you can get the salary packages upto 20k per month.
Salaries will depend upon the type of practice, animals, working area, education, job title, etc. After gaining much experience in this field, you can also open your own farm. Below we have listed some of the best books for animal husbandry.
Books & Study Materials
Good books to study Animal Husbandry are listed here:
- Animal Husbandry by Laura Zigman
- Animal Sciences: The Biology, Care, and Production of Domestic Animals by John R Campbell
- Basic Animal Nutrition and Feeding by D. C. Church
- A Textbook of Animal Husbandry by Banerjee G. C.
- Physiology and Technology of Reproduction in Female Domestic Animals by R. H.F. Hunter
- Clinical Procedures in Veterinary Nursing by Victoria Aspinall
- Marek’s Disease: An Evolving Problem (Biology of Animal Infections) by Fred Davison, Venugopal Nair
For more information regarding Career in Animal Husbandry, ask your queries below.