Career In Environmental Science
Are you curious about….. what happens if all the trees in the rainforest will cut down or the hazardous Chemicals will spill into a river or ocean?
Then you can find answers to these questions in “Environmental Science”.
Environmental Science is a branch of science which studies the effects of physical, chemical, and biological conditions of the environment and their effect on organisms.
Environmental Science also deals with “Ecology”. Ecology is the study of how organisms interact with our environment.
“Environmental science has emerged from the field of medicine and natural history.”
Apart from the study of biological and physical characters of the environment, it also includes the social and cultural factors and impact of humans on the environment.
Importance of Environmental Science:
- To know more about the sustainable way of living.
- Understand the behaviour of organisms under natural conditions.
- To educate and aware people about environmental problem & issues.
- To use natural resources more effectively without harming the environment.
- It teaches the human beings the importance of our environment and how to conserve it.
There are other branches of environmental science like atmospheric science which focus on the Earth’s atmosphere. Another is ecology, the study of how organisms interact with the environment and which focuses on chemical alterations in the environment, such as water pollution and soil contamination which is also known as environmental chemistry.
There is a vast scope in private or in the government sector for the environments science degree holders. Under this course, aspirants can apply for a research degree in government organizations. Candidates those holding M.Sc degree in Environmental Science can find many lucrative career opportunities in India as well as in abroad.
ADMISSION OPEN 2019
- MIT World Peace University, Pune B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- DIT University, Dehradun - B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Symbiosis Institute of Technology B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chitkara University B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chandigarh University (Ranked 1 in North India) - Application Open.
“There are plenty of courses in this field.”
Students can opt certificate, diploma, bachelors, masters and Ph.D courses in this field. For UG courses, students must have passed 10+2 examination with science stream and for PG courses, students should have a bachelor degree in the related field.
Some most sought courses trending among the students are:
- Certificate in Environmental Studies (CES)
- Certificate Courses in Environmental Science
- Diploma in Environmental Science
- Diploma in Environmental Law
- Diploma in Environment Protection
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Environmental Management
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science & Water Management
- Master of Philosophy in Environmental Sciences
- Post Graduate Diploma in Environment
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Environmental Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Environmental Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Earth Science
Admission & Eligibility
How to get admission in these courses?
For undergraduate courses, students must have passed the 10+2 examination with science subjects (Biology, Mathematics and Chemistry).
For admission in postgraduate courses, students should have hold a bachelors degree in the science subjects or related fields.
Admissions will be based on the marks obtained in the qualifying examination while some other colleges and universities conduct their own entrance exams to screen candidates for admissions.
Here are some top colleges from where you can pursue courses in this field:
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- Aligarh Muslim University, Jaunpur
- National Environmental Research Institute, Nagpur
- Amity University, Noida
- Forest Research Institute, Dehradun
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
Career & Jobs
“Environmental Science is a broad and generalized field with endless job opportunities.”
Environmental Science is that branch of study where you can find numbers of ways to protect our environment with the reliable use of resources. So, it offers a plethora of job opportunity for environmental scientists as well as for environmental biologists, environmental engineers, environmental modellers and environmental journalists. Environmental scientists are employed by the mines, fertilizer plants, textile and dying industry, food processing units, etc.
After holding a degree in this field you will get the variety of careers to choose from. They can easily work in government and private organization and many other industries. You can also opt to teach jobs in colleges or universities.
In this sector you can be employed by various organizations are such as Pollution Control Board, Water Authority and Urban Planning. Many private organizations like Food processing industries, Refineries, Distilleries and Fertilizer plants are also offering various job opportunities for the graduates in this field.
You can avail jobs in fertilizer plants and can also work in food processing companies as Managers. Other jobs present for graduates in this field are an Environmental Journalist in any newspaper, magazine or television station. Many NGOs are growing in working on the issues regarding the environment so, you can also join these organizations according to your choice.
- Environmental Scientist
- Environmental Consultant
- Environmental Science Manager
- Wildlife Film-maker
- Environment Photographer
- Environment Journalists
- Conservation Hydrologist
- Director of Waste Management
Careers can be found in environmental monitoring organizations, environmental consultancies, universities, Industries, distilleries, fertilizer plants, NGOs, Pollution Control Boards, Public Institutions and Private Industries and Firms and many others.
Salary & Pay Scale
“Salary packages are good in this field.”
In India, the minimum salary of a bachelor’s degree holder in this field is around Rs. 3 to 4 lacs per annum.
With a good experience in this field along with masters or Ph.D degree, the average salary can go up to Rs. 6 to 8 lacs per annum.
Salary packages in this field also depend upon various factors such as the size of the organization, sectors, working location, education and various other factors.
Books & Study Materials
Some best books to study environmental science are mentioned here:
- Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
- Global Water: Issues and Insights by David Allendes
- Global Warming: Causes, Impacts and Remedies by Bharat Raj Singh
- Earth and Environmental Sciences by Imran Ahmad Dar, Mithas Ahmad Dar
- Data Analysis for Environmental Science and Management by Bruce Kendall, Chris Costello
- The Forgiving Air: Understanding Environmental Change by Richard C. J. Somerville
For more information regarding Career in Environmental Science, ask your queries below.