Career In Fashion Technology: Courses, Scope, Admission, Jobs, Salary
‘FASHION’ is the trendy sphere which is searched by almost every person in this modern world.
Let us first know about Fashion – ‘Fashion’ is an expression which gives a glimpse of ones personality. This aesthetic expression varies as per various seasons, places, period and trend.
Fashion technology plays a major role in describing various innovative technologies used in fashion world. It has become a modern tool for improving the way of production and consumption of fashion. Various fashion industries follow different types of fashion technologies for their material selection, production, transportation and retail.
Approximately 20, 000 years ago, people began to sew clothes by hands. With the increase in the technology, the fashion industry also opted new methods of working. These methods were the introduction of improved needles, threads and machines for the production of clothing.
During the 19th century, the first giant leap in the fashion technology was with the introduction of the sewing machines. This invention changed the face of fashion industry as clothing makers were able to manufacture more pieces faster.
With the introduction of fashion technology, fashion industries are now able to gather latest trends of fashion & consumer data.
Courses & Eligibility
After completing 10th or 12th, students who are interested to become Fashion Designer in the field of fashion technology can pursue diploma, UG & PG courses. These courses are:
- Diploma in Fashion Technology – 3 years
- Bachelor in Fashion Technology (B.F.Tech) – 4 years
- Master in Fashion Technology (M.F.Tech) – 2 years
- Masters in Fashion Management (M.F.M) – 2 years
- Post Graduate Diploma in Fashion Technology (PGDFT)
Also Check: Fashion Designing
Different Specialisations Offered under Fashion Technology:
The various specializations offered under Fashion Technology are:
For Bachelor in Fashion Technology (B.F.Tech):
- Apparel Production Management
- Apparel Production Technology
- Apparel Product Development
For Master in Fashion Technology (M.F.Tech):
- Operation Excellence
- Smart Factory
- Smart Garments
Students can check below eligibility criteria of diploma, UG and PG programme offered in the field of fashion technology:
- Diploma in Fashion Technology: Candidate applying for this programme must have passed 10th level to be eligible.
- Bachelor in Fashion Technology (B.F.Tech): Candidate must have passed 10+2 level or its equivalent with Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics as main subjects in 12th OR
Students having 3-year diploma in any Engineering branch are also eligible.
- Master in Fashion Technology (M.F.Tech): Candidate must have B.F.Tech degree from a recognised institution OR
B.E/ B.Tech from any recognized Institute/ University.
For admission into Fashion Technology, candidates have to follow the admission procedure laid down by various institutions. The admission procedure varies for different institutions/ universities.
NIFT is one of the renowned Institution of Fashion Technology in India which offers admission to candidates on the basis of its university level entrance test known as NIFT entrance exam. Like NIFT various other institutions also conducts entrance exams to offer admission.
Other than entrance exam, some of the institutions offer admission based on the merit score of qualifying exam (10+2 level).
Want to take admission in top colleges of Fashion Technology?
Below we have named some of the top colleges/ institutions offering admission into Fashion Technology:
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Delhi
- Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Bangalore
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Patna
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Chennai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Hyderabad
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Gandhinagar
- Angel College of Engineering & Technology, Tamil Nadu
- PSG College of Technology, Tamil Nadu
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Mumbai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Kolkata
- C.E.T. College of Management Science and Technology, Kerala, etc.
Career and Scope
The career scope in Fashion Technology has seen immense growth in today’s fashion loving world. India is one of the leading manufacturer of apparel and garments. This creates immense career opportunities for the candidates.
From traditional to western culture, people admire it and wants to stay updated with the newly introduced fashion trends.
Various job opportunities are available in this field for the students having creative minds and has love for science. Also, there is immense scope for entrepreneurship in this field as candidates can setup their own apparel manufacturing units.
Candidates who want to go for higher education in this field also have many options. Students after their B.F.Tech can go for various popular higher learning courses like Masters in Fashion Technology (M.F.Tech), Post Graduate Diploma in Fashion Technology (PGDFT), Masters of Fashion Management (MFM), etc.
Students can also go for teaching as a career option in various fashion designing institutions/ universities.
Through Fashion Technology, students get to learn about the latest technology & artificial intelligence incorporated with the manufacturing process.
With this career pathway, students will be able to join various industries in areas of –
- Technical Audit Manager
- Production Merchant
- Sampling Room Coordinator
- Product Manager
- Sustainable Manager
- Merchandising (Production)
- Fashion Data Analyst
- Quality Manager
- Management of IT
- CSR Managers
- Product Engineer, etc.
The salary/ payscale in the field of Fashion Technology varies based on the roles of the fashion technologist. The salary package offered to the designers depends upon various factors like experience, educational qualification, skills in the field, location of job, demand of the role, etc.
On the basis of role, the highest salary package is mostly offered to the apparel designers. They are offered annual package between 1.5 lakh to 8.5 lakh. Besides, fashion merchandisers are offered starting salary of 1.7 lakh per annum and goes upto 10 lakh per annum at senior level.
The salary /payscale offered to the candidates also depends upon the graduating colleges. Students graduated from top colleges like NIFT & other reputed colleges are offered a good salary package.
Moreover, job location also plays a vital importance in salary growth. Comparison to other places in India, locations like Delhi and Maharashtra are offered highest salary package.
Books & Study Material
Candidates can check below some of the top Books /study material for Fashion Technology:
- Unfolding Fashion Tech: Pioneers of Bright Futures by Marina Toeters
- Introduction to Fashion Technology by Pooja Khurana and Monika Sethi
- Fashion and Technology: A Guide to Materials and Applications by Aneta Genova and Katherine Moriwaki
- Fashion Technology: Today and Tomorrow by Niruma Pundir
- Fashion Technology Hand Book by Meenakshi Narang, etc.
Candidates can leave their comments below in the comments box, for guidance or any queries regarding Career in Fashion Technology.