Career In Logistics & Supply Chain Management
From recent years, students are showing their more interest to make their career in the field of Logistics & Supply Chain Management.
Logistics & Supply Chain Management professionals make sure that goods & services get into the hands of consumers or clients.
What is Supply Chain Management?
Supply Chain Management (SCM) is a management of the flow of goods and services from supplier to consumer. It is a management of business supply side activities to maximize the customer value and to gain a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
In 1982 the term “Supply Chain Management” was entered the public domain when Keith Oliver used it in an interview for the Financial Times.
Latest Application Forms Available
- Apply online for B.Tech from LPU University, Punjab. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from KCC Institute, Noida. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Chandigarh University, Mohali. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Avantika University, Ujjain. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Symbiosis University, Indore. Apply Now
What is Logistics Management?
Logistics Management is a part of supply chain management which design, implements and controls the flow and storage of goods and services between the point of origin to the point of consumption in order to meet the customer’s requirements.
Professionals who work in the field of logistic management are termed as “Logistician”.
Logistics Vs. Supply Chain Management
- Logistics management is a process of integrating the maintenance and movement of goods and management and coordination of the supply chain activities is termed as supply chain management.
- Logistics management works with a single organization while supply chain management is involved with multiple organizations.
- Logistics management is a small part of supply chain management and supply chain management is the newer version of Logistic management.
In this course you can come up with various job opportunities in clearing, freight forwarding organizations, couriers, forwarding companies, third party logistics industry. A degree course in supply management gives the candidates job opportunities not only within the industry, but also in the outside sector as Customer Service Manager, Fulfillment Supervisor, Supply Chain Analyst, Consultant, Transportation Manager, Warehouse Operations Manager, Shipping Coordinator, Export Executive, Expeditor, Purchasing Manager, Supply Chain Software Manager, International Logistics Manager, Supply Chain Managers.
Also Check: Popular Management Courses
Courses & Eligibility
What are the courses available in the field of Logistics and supply chain management?
In India, several top universities and institutions offers courses in this field. You can pursue diploma level to postgraduate courses in this field. Some most sought courses are listed below:
- Advanced Diploma in Logistic and Shipping
- Advanced Diploma in Logistic Management
- Advanced Diploma in Supply Chain Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Logistic and Supply Chain Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Materials and Logistic Management
- Bachelor of Supply Chain Management
- Bachelor of Commerce in Supply Chain Management
- MBA in Logistic and Supply Chain Management
- MBA in Material and Logistic Management
Qualification Requirements: For admission in UG courses, students should have cleared higher secondary or 12th or 3 years diploma course from any recognized institution or board. For postgraduate courses, you should hold a bachelors degree from any recognized universities or colleges.
After courses, here let us explain you about the admission process.
Admissions in UG programmes will be done on the basis of marks scored in the qualifying examination. Some reputed universities conduct entrance tests for admissions. For admission in MBA courses, candidates can appear for CAT, MAT and many other exams. Here we have listed some examination for admissions in MBA courses:
- CAT (Common Admission Test)
- MAT (Management Aptitude Test)
- CMAT (Common Management Admission Test)
- XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test)
- ATMA (AIMS Test for management Admission)
Some popular colleges to pursue courses in this field are:
- Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta
- Management Development Institute, Gurgaon
- Indian Institute of Materials Management, Mumbai
- Institute of Management Technology, Nagpur
- National Institute of Retail and Management, Mumbai
Career & Jobs
What you can do with a degree in Logistics & Supply Chain Management?
Logistics & Supply Chain Management professionals are high in demand in various organizations in national as well as international level. Logistics & Supply Chain Management are the necessary terms for company success and customer satisfaction.
One of the most common entry-level jobs in this field is customer service management. Customer service is an important part of logistics and supply chain management on an individual level. A career in supply chain provides travel opportunities with better remuneration. The career fields in logistics management are business sustainability and green operations, general management, operations management, project management and small business management/entrepreneurship.
Mostly graduated students in this field starts as a Management Trainee, Front Line Superviser and Analyst. You can find jobs in Shipping Companies, Construction Firms, Land and Air Transportation Providers, Information & Technology Industries and many others.
In a few years the new opportunities in this field will be considered to become. Advancement of job opportunities in logistic will be plentiful. The U.S. government is providing logistic training, so you can join that too also. Aspirants can start their career in logistic everywhere.
Top job profiles:
- Project Manger
- Supply Chain Manager
- Material Manager
- Demand Planner
- Master Production Scheduler
- Sourcing Manager
- Customer Service Manager
- International Logistics Manager
- Inventory Control Manager
- Logistics Engineer
- Logistics Manager
Major recruiters are:
- Larsen & Toubro Ltd.
- Anchor Electricals
- Biomax Fuels Ltd.
- Proctor & Gamble
“This field rewards handsome salary packages to the deserving ones.”
In India, a Supply Chain Manager can expect an average salary of Rs.8 lacs per year. It can be easily increased with the good experience in this field.
As a Logistics Manger, you can earn an average salary around Rs.5.5 lacs per year. Salaries will vary upon the working area, position, education of the employee.
Books & Study Materials
Some good books to study Logistics & Supply Chain Management are listed here:
Essentials of Supply Chain Management by Michael H. Hugos
Logistics and Supply Chain Management by Martin Christopher
Designing and Managing the Supply Chain: Concepts, Strategies and Case Studies by David Simchi-Levi, Philip Kaminsky
Logistics Management and Strategy: Competing through the Supply Chain by Alan Harrison and Remko Van Hoek
Supply Chain Logistics Management by Donald Bowersox
Global Logistics and supply chain management by Wiley
Logistics and Supply Chain Management by Martin Christopher
The Handbook of Logisticsand distribution management by Phil Croucher, Alan Rushton
If you have any other queries regarding Career In Logistics & Supply Chain Management, you can leave your comments below.