Career In Hospital Management
Hospital Management is one of the most recent concepts in the field of management courses.
It is the most important & lucrative career in the health sector.
In the early days, senior specialists used to perform the role of a hospital manager.
At present, the things are changed & the services of these professional are required for the smooth functioning of hospitals.
The term which applies to those professionals who organize, coordinate, direct and supervise the delivery of medical services is “medical and health services manager“.
“Hospital management provides management skills for the delivery of health care services”.
Hospital management is known as management or administration of hospitals.
Hospital Management provides the direct connection between health care services and those supplying the services they require.
Hospital Management Career involves ensuring effective use of physical & financial resources of the hospital. It also helps to create an organizational climate which is beneficial to the growth & development of the persons.
Hospital Managers & Administrators have become essential to manage hospitals & medical facilities.
They are responsible for education, overall patient care, research & community health care related to the organization.
Medical & Non-Medical background students can pursue a career in Hospital Management/Administration.
Courses & Duration
How I start my career in Hospital Management?
Candidates of any field medical or a non-medical background, they can pursue a career in Hospital Administration/Management. You can pursue Bachelor, Master & a Doctoral Degree in Hospital Management. Various Institutions in India also offer short-term, diploma, certificate and correspondence courses in Hospital management.
Bachelor Courses: The duration of this course is three years.
- Bachelor of Hospital Management/Administration
Master Courses: It is two year duration’s programme.
- Master of Hospital Administration
- MBA in Hospital Management/ Administration
- PG Diploma in Hospital Management/Administration
- PG Diploma in Hospital and Health Management
- Sc in Hospital Administration
- MD/M.Phill in Hospital Management
Skills required for the study of Hospital Management:
- Good knowledge of finance and information systems
- Excellent leadership skills
- Good Communication & Organizing Skill
- Friendly personality
- Ability to handle people and pressure
- Ability to handle deadlines
- Quick decision-making capability
- Excellent verbal & written communication skill
The Indian Society of Health Administrators (ISHA) imparts one year Distance Learning course in Hospital Administration.
Admission & Eligibility
For UG Courses:
- Candidate has to pass their higher secondary examination & secure at least 50% marks in the examination.
For PG Courses:
- If you want to join the PG level courses, then you have to complete your graduation in any subject. The eligibility criterion for master courses is different according to the Institution and course concerned.
- Famous Institutions such as AIIMS, AFMC, etc, they only give admission into a PG course for students, those complete their MBBS degree.
- Candidate if interested to do a doctoral degree, then they have to require a Master of Hospital Administration (MHA) Degree.
You also have to appear in the group discussion & personal interview rounds.
Top colleges in India offers Hospital Management Courses:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya
- Symbiosis Centre of Health Care
- Faculty of Management Studies (FMS), Delhi University
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani.
Career & Jobs
Where i start my career after completing the education?
It is one of the challenging, responsible and more over, a demanding job career.
The Career opportunities are increasing quickly in the field of Hospital Management. It is not because of the growing importance of the hospital industry, but also with the difference in the nature of work in hospitals.
For the young graduates, the job opportunity in Hospital Management is phenomenal. They can start your career as Assistant Hospital administrators or Managers or consultant. They manage outpatient clinics, hospitals, hospices, and drug-abuse treatment centers. After gaining experience in this field, they can be promoted to the position of CEO. They can also set up your own nursing home or hospital. If you interested in the education field, then you can employ as a teacher & lecturers in the colleges.
Hospital Managers require a good knowledge of interpretation of data, finance & information systems. They have a good communication nature with the staff of different departments & patients.
- Deans & Directors of Medical Colleges
- Hospital Superintendents
- Deputy Superintendents
- Medical Directors
- Nursing Directors
- Heads of Departments
- Healthcare Finance Managers
Those candidates have a diploma/degree in hospital management, they can work in nursing homes, clinics, public/private sector hospitals, health insurance companies, international and national healthcare organizations, medical institutes, public health departments, pharmaceuticals and hospital supply firms, etc.
You can also work with NGOs, Nursing Homes, etc.
The demand of experienced and skilled hospital managers in outside nation is reasonably high.
The work of Hospital Mangers includes accounts, finance, and maintenance of the hospital, security, marketing and communications.
- ICICI Bank
- Fortis Healthcare Ltd.
- Apollo Health Care
How much salary I earn?
The salary of the Hospital Manager/Administrator will depend on the organizations for which they work. The average salary of the Hospital Administrator is Rs 3 Lacs to Rs. 4 Lacs per year. With more year experience, they can earn more than Rs. 5 Lacs to Rs. 6 Lacs per annum.
In abroad, you can earn $ 30000 to $ 40000 per year.
Books & Study Material
Hospital Administration Principles and Practice by Yashpal Sharma, RK Sarma & Libert Anil Gomes
Principles of Hospital Administration and Planning by Sakharkar
Human Resources in Healthcare by Bruce J Fried, Myron D Fottler
Healthcare Finance by Louis C Gapenski
Economics for Healthcare by Robert H Lee
The Law of Healthcare Administration by J. Stuart Showalter
Healthcare Finance by Louis C. Gapenski
Hospital Administration Principles and Practice by Yashpal Sharma, RK Sarma, Libert Anil Gomes
Formation Management of a Hospital – A Complete Guide to Setting up and Running a Health Care Organisation by Nabhi’s Publication
For more information about Career In Hospital Management, you can ask here.