Hotel Management and Catering
There are many career fields that one can choose after 12th. Often the selection is based on the interest of the student, and future scope. The Hotel management is one of the highly job oriented field; it covers a wide range of services including food service, accommodation and catering.
The major job fields in the hospitality sector include Hotels, resorts, fast food chains, restaurants, etc. A hotel management professional can be employed in any of the above mentioned fields. The hotel management field is always been a hot career options among the students, with the globalization more and more hotel industries as expanding their business to the global markets. This has created a huge demand of hotel management professionals.
One can also join this course because of its large scope in other countries also. Students wish to do this course to make their career in abroad countries. With the increasing globalization, the hotel management chain is also increasing widely.
ADMISSION OPEN 2019
- MIT World Peace University, Pune B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- DIT University, Dehradun - B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Symbiosis Institute of Technology B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chitkara University B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chandigarh University (Ranked 1 in North India) - Application Open.
One can also join this course because of its large scope in other countries also. Students wish to do this course to make their career in abroad countries. With the increasing globalization, the hotel chain is also increasing widely.
In hotel management and catering field, one can achieve a long term career in life.It is very demanding profession in abroad. Through this course, you can join government and non-government sectors.
There is large no. of course available in the hotel management field. The student can choose the course as per his academic qualifications. The detailed list of the courses is given below:
- Diploma in Hotel Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM)
- Bachelor of Arts in Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Science in Hotel Management
- BA (Hons) in Hotel Management
- BBA in Hotel Management
- Master of Science in Hotel Management
- MBA in Hotel Management
- Certificate Courses in Hotel and Catering Management
- Craftsmanship Courses
There are also various short-term courses conducted by ministry of tourism, to encourage the students for self employment.
Colleges Offering Hotel Management are:
- Ambedkar Institute of Hotel Management, Chandigarh
- Institute of Hotel Management, Jodhpur
- Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata
- Institute of Hotel Management, Lucknow
- Institute of Hotel Management, Bangalore
- Institute of Hotel Management, Chennai
- Institute of Hotel Management, New Delhi
- Delhi Institute of Hotel Management, New Delhi
- Institute of Hotel Management, Goa
If you are looking for a career in hotel management, then there are a certain eligibility criteria that you have to fulfill. This is given below:
Certificate Course: The certificate courses are generally short-term courses for the duration of 6 months to one year. The candidates can pursue these courses after completing 12th class.
Diploma Course: A candidate must pass class 1oth or 12th with minimum 40% marks having English as a compulsory subject.
Degree Course: for an undergraduate degree in hotel management, the candidate must be 12th passed with minimum 50% and having English as a compulsory subject.
Postgraduate Degree course: After completing an undergraduate degree program, the candidate may go for a postgraduate program. The basic eligibility for this program is 45% marks in graduation from a recognized university.
The admission to the various courses in the hotel management is based on the hotel management entrance exam. The selection in the various courses is based on NCHMCT JEE 2019 conducted in the month of April. The application for the same is out in the month December. Apart from this there are various others hotel management entrance exam, conducted by the big hotel chains for admission in the own training institutes.
Career and Jobs
After completing the course there are various job opportunities for the student to work with large hotel chains including the Taj group, ITC, Oberoi hotels, Hilton group etc. There is a huge demand of skilled professionals in the merchant navy and cruise ship. So if you are looking for a career in hotel management than it could be a good decision, but choose the best institute because the chances of employment is generally higher from the top institute. The girls who are interested in hospitality sector, they can also go for air-hostess courses.
After pursuing courses in this field, there are ample of job opportunities are waiting for you in various areas such as Cafeteria, Airline Catering (flight kitchen) and Cabin Services, Club management, Cruise Ship Hotel Management, Hospital administration and catering, Hotel and Tourism Associations, Hospitality services in the Indian Navy, Forest Lodges, Guest Houses, resorts, Kitchen Management Catering departments of railways, banks, armed forces, shipping companies, etc.
“You can also go for the self employment (as an entrepreneur)”.
After completing this course you can get the job with specific job roles or designations given below:
- Kitchen Stewarding Supervisor
- Assistant Manager/Restaurant Manager
- Guest Relation Executive (GRE)
- Assistant Manager Administration
- Assistant Guest Delight Manager
- Front Officer Manger
- Restaurant Captain
- Housekeeping Associate/Team leader
The most common recruiters offering the job in this field are as following:
- Ambassador Group of Hotels
- Oberoi Group of Hotels
- Sarovar Park Group of Hotels
- ITDC Group of Hotels
- Jaypee Group of Hotels
- K Raheja Group of Hotels
- Le Meridien Group of Hotels
- Taj Group of Hotels
The salary in this field depends upon the organization in which you are working and your job profile. If you are working with the five-star hotel chains then the starting salary could be anything around Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 20,000 per month. After some experience the salary could be anywhere between Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 45,000 per month.
Books and Study Materials
Here we have listed some books of Hotel Management and Catering which have been compiled by our experts:
- Hotel Management and Hospitality
by Mathews J
- Hotel Industry and Housekeeping Management
by Rajesh Garg
- How to Succeed in Hotel management Job Interviews
by Partho Pratim Seal
- Crm-A Pathway: A case study of Hotel Industry
by Chavan Rajashri
- Hotel law
by Amitabh Devendra
For more information about Career in Hotel and Catering, leave your comments below.