In Mining Engineering (also known as mineral engineering), you will learn about the technologies and techniques used for identification and extraction of minerals from the earth.
Are you interested to learn more about this field!
Do you know how minerals like coal, petroleum, metallic minerals and non-metallic minerals can be extracted naturally.
These all techniques will be taught in the study of mining engineering as one of the disciplines of engineering courses.
The term Mining means “the process or industry of obtaining coal or other minerals from a mine” and engineering refers to the ”branch of science deals with design, building and use of engines, machines and structures”.
Latest Application Forms Available
- Apply online for B.Tech from LPU University, Punjab. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from KCC Institute, Noida. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Chandigarh University, Mohali. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Avantika University, Ujjain. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Symbiosis University, Indore. Apply Now
What does Mining Engineering Exactly means?
“Mining engineering is the branch of engineering that deals with the identification, extraction, production and processing of valuable minerals from a naturally occurring environment”.
The role of mining engineer starts from the discovery of mineral resource, processing of mineral commodities, designing and construction of mines, controlling mining operations and transportation of minerals.
About Mining Engineering
The mining starts with the survey of finding the mineral deposit. Here the role of geologists and surveyors will begins. Mining engineers in collaboration with geologists discovers the minerals. After the identification of minerals and feasibility study, mining engineers are involved in the mining process that includes blasting and explosives. It is the duty of mining engineer to maximize efficiency and safety. The mining engineer has the responsibility to decide and select the place of explosion.
History of Mining Engineering
“Lion cave” in Swaziland is the oldest known mine on archaeological record. The ancient Romans were the developer of mining engineering. The Kingdom of Hungary was used the Black powder first time in the process of mining.
You may also check:
Responsibilities of Mining Engineers
Mining engineers are not only concerned about extracting minerals from environment but also has the responsibility to keep surroundings safe from the wastes and pollution occurred during the process of mineral extraction.
Duties of Mining Engineers include feasibility study, construction of mines, maintenance of mines, designing engineering structures, ventilation and cooling in the mines transportation and marketing of minerals, etc.
Do you want to be a part of this field?……………….Now, let us discuss about courses?
Eligibility & Courses
Mining Engineering courses are available at various levels that include
- Diploma Courses in Mining and Mine Surveying Engineering – 3 years course
Eligibility Criteria – Qualifying examination should be 10th/equivalent exam with minimum 50% marks.
- B.E./B.Tech in Mining Engineering – 4 Years course
Eligibility Criteria – Minimum educational qualification of 10+2 from the recognized educational board with at least 50% marks passed with PCM as the compulsory subjects.
- ME/ M.Tech in Mining Engineering – 2 Years course
Eligibility Criteria – After completion of B.E/B.Tech in the relevant discipline, you are eligible for PG courses.
Entrance Exam for UG – JEE Main 2017
Entrance Exam for PG – GATE 2017
The main subjects that are included in the course of mining engineering are:
- Rock Mechanics
- Mine Planning
- Materials Handling
- Drilling and Blasting
- Minerals Processing
- Ore Reserve Analysis
- Industrial Management
- Mine Cost Engineering
- Mine Health and Safety
- Environmental Aspects of Mining
- Design of Engineering Structures
Aspiring candidates can apply for JEE Main for taking admission in undergraduate engineering courses. To get admission in IITs or NITs, it is must for the candidates to qualify the JEE Advanced examination. For master’s courses in engineering, students need to clear the GATE which is conducted once in a year.
Apart from these entrance exams, there are many other exams which provides admission to mining engineering. These are as follows:
- BITSAT (Birla Institute of Technology & Science Admission Test)
- VITEEE (VIT Engineering Entrance Examination)
- AP & TS EAMCET (Andhra Pradesh Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test)
- BCECE (Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination)
You can pursue mining engineering from the colleges of India as well as from abroad also. In abroad, the mining engineering is offered by the following institutions:
- Curtin University of Technology
- Mining Education Australia (MEA)
- University of New South Wales
- University of Queensland
Top engineering colleges of India that offers mining engineering are listed below:
- Indian Institute of Technology at Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur
- National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad
- Government Engineering College, Gujarat
Jobs & Career Opportunities
Mining engineers have a numerous career options. Arab countries like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar and UK provides profitable career opportunities to the eligible candidates.
In Mining engineering, there are enormous job opportunities are available in public sector or government organizations. Career scope in the field of teaching is also bright for candidates having master’s degree in mining engineering.
Top companies that recruits students in the field of mining engineering:
- The Indian Bureau of Mines
- Geological Survey of India
- Neyvelli Lignite Corporation
- Essel Mining & Industries Ltd.
- Hindustan Zinc Limited
- Adani Mining Pvt. Ltd.
- Arcelor Mittal
- Bharat Forge Limited
- Cairn Energy
- Coal India Ltd.
- Damodar Valley Corporation
You will be appointed as:
- Mining Engineer – Granite
- Mining Engineering Technicians
- Research Engineers- Data Mining
- Deputy Chief Mechanical – Metals & Mining
- Assistant Mining Engineer
- Mining Engineer / Mine Planner
- Technical Consultant- Mining Industries
Salary & Payscale
As compared to other professions, mining engineers earns the more remuneration in India. They will get the lucrative pay in the field of mining engineering. In India, they will receive an average salary of 6 to 8 lacs per year. Your salary will also depends on your skills and experienceengi, location and the organization you are working for. In US, the mean yearly salary of mining engineers is $90,070.
Books & Study Materials
Which books are best for me for the preparation of Mining Engineering?
Here we have listed some of the books for mining engineering:
- Elements of Mining Technology Vol 1 – Deshmukh
- Introductory Mining Engineering – Hartmann
- Elements of Mining Technology Vol 2 – D.J Deshmukh
- Mining Coal (Junior Reference Books) – John Davey
- Mining Engineering Analysis – Christopher J Bise
- The Mining Valuation Textbook – Victor Rudenno
- Mining in World History – Martin Lynch
- Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production – Frank Jahn, Mark Cook, Mark Graham
- SME Mining Reference Book – Raymond L.Lowrie
- For any queries regarding Mining Engineering, you may leave your comments below.