To make the living and working space more comfortable, practical and beautiful with the help of the professionals is called Interior designing. The space of our living area and our working area is going to shrink due to the urbanization and therefore, to live in a small place, it is more compulsory to make the design of our space as per our wish.
A big crowd of students basically girls are more attracted to this field rather than the boys. By the increasing demand of decorators and designer, the education system and the government had decided to launch the educational programme in the field of interior designing. Interior designing is a professional degree course in India.
At present, the people have become choosy in case of their life, living and standard. This trend has led to the requirement for an interior designer or professional.
ADMISSION OPEN 2019
- NMIMS NPAT 2019 Application open - Few days left now.
- MIT World Peace University, Pune B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Symbiosis Institute of Technology B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chitkara University B.Tech 2019 Application open now.
- Chandigarh University (Ranked 1 in North India) - Application Open.
What are the courses available in this field?
As an interior designer, you will learn about the art effects, design, and exclusive furniture beside the managerial skills in interior designing. The popularity of this subject was under the cities at that time, but now, from each city, village and rural area, the young aspirant wish to find their career in the field of interior designing.
Numerous institutions in India are offering the study courses in the field of interior designing. Beside this some of the polytechnics offer the interior designing. There is a plenty of diploma courses and some certificate course with specialization.
For the admission to professional programmes of interior designing you must have cleared the plus two examinations. There are two types of courses in this field as the following:
- Polytechnic/Diploma courses for the duration of 1-2 yrs
- UG degree courses in Fine arts for the duration of 3-4 yrs
- UG degree courses in Design for the duration of 3-4 yrs
- UG degree courses in Architecture for the duration of 3-4 yrs
- UG degree courses in Environmental Planning for the duration of 3-4 yrs
- BA (Hons.) in Interior Architecture Design
- BA (Hons.) in Interior Architecture Design
- BA in Interior Design
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des) in Interior Design
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Interior Design
- Bachelor of Interior Design (BID)
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Interior Design
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Interior Design & Resource Management
Eligibility & Admission
Here we are providing the basic eligibility to apply for admissions in UG and PG courses:
For Bachelor Courses:
To get admissions in bachelor courses, you must have completed the 10+2 or equivalent exam in any stream from any recognized board.
For Master Courses:
For admissions into master courses, you should hold a bachelor degree in the relevant field from any recognized college or university.
NID 2019 (National Institute of Design) conducts the DAT (Design Aptitude Test) Prelims and Mains for providing admissions in various UG and PG courses in the field of design. Some colleges also give admission on the basis of the merit list of the qualifying examination.
There is provision of entrance test before the admission in interior designing. Candidate must have to collect the portfolio to represent at the time of admission. It will allow the opportunity to get the admission. Here we are providing the list of entrance test conducted for admission in design courses:
In the curriculum of this course, the students are taught about the fine art, design, managerial skill, decoration method and skills, drawing, coloring and sketching. You may choose one the given specialization in your higher study. There are three types of interior design as the following:
- Business design
- Residential design
- Landscape design
Here we are listing some best colleges to pursue interior designing courses:
- National Institute of Design (NID), Delhi
- Pearl Academy, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Art and Design (IIAD), New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Fashion and Design (IIFD), Chandigrah
- National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad
- International School of Design, Delhi
- International Institute of Fashion Design, New Delhi
There is great demand of the professional interior designer in India and abroad. To get the reputed job you must have passed the professional course with good ranking and from the reputed institution.
After the completion of this course you may join the firms which provide the interior decoration services or join the real estate business to plan the housing and societies. There is a bright future in this field but you need to work hard at the initial time. For getting the high remuneration you must have the creativity, drawing skills, problem solving skills, client satisfaction skills, basic architecture, designing skill, home improvement product knowledge and pleasing nature.
Is this a right career for you? To evaluate yourself, search the key requirement like creative thinking, originality, excellent communication skills, listening capability and ability to impart the beauty in a simple viewed place.
The main job of an interior designer is to make the proper and best possible utilization of the space and more functional as per the budget of the client. Many times the interior designers involve the interior and exterior of the new or renovated places.
There are plenty of jobs in various fields after the completion of this course. The trend of employment is increasing day by day. People are going to renovate their interior design as per their taste. And moreover, you may set you own business as an interior designer.
Companies or working sectors
- Public and private sector establishments
- Work with architects and architectural firms
- Hospitals and other medical facilities
- Town and city planning bureaus
- Health resorts
- Work with renowned builders
- Design studios
- Exhibition organizers
- Event management companies
Some top job profiles in this field are:
- Creative Director
- Interior Design Entrepreneur
- Building Inspector
- Technical Architects
- Construction Project Manager
- Construction Estimator
- Consulting Engineer
In the field of interior designing, there is also a probability to meet the celebrities. At the beginning in this field, a professional graduate can earn around Rs. 10000 to 20000 per month. But after the getting of experience, he/she may earn in a range of Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 75,000 per month.
Books & Study Materials
Here we are listing some popular books to study interior designing:
- Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy by Deborah Needleman
- Undecorate: The No-Rules Approach to Interior Design by Christiane Lemieux
- The Perfectly Imperfect Home: How to Decorate and Live Well by Deborah Needleman
- The Nest Home Design Handbook by Carley Roney
- A History of Interior Design by John F. Pile
- Elements of Style: Designing a Home & a Life by Erin Gates
For any other queries related to Interior Designing, you may leave your queries below in the comment box.