Career As an ENT Specialist
Nowadays, candidates interest towards the medical field is increasing day by day. ENT suits the choice of those who want to become a specialist doctor of ear, nose and throat.
ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat), also called otolaryngology is the field of medicine that deals with diagnosing and treating diseases concerned with ear, nose, throat, head and neck.
Practitioners who are specialized in the field of ENT are known as otorhinolaryngologists, otolaryngologists, ENT doctors, ENT surgeons, or head and neck surgeons.
Otolaryngologists treats the diseases like thyroid cancer, throat cancer and laryngomalacia. ENT specialists handles hearing issues, ear infections, sinuses, voice and swallowing disorders, voice box (larynx), treat problems of benign and malignant (cancerous) tumors, facial trauma, and deformities of face.
“ENT does not only mean that it deals with Ear, Nose and Throat, it also covers up the entire area of Cervical, Collar Bone and Neck Upward area”.
Job Roles of an ENT Specialist:
- To examine medical and surgical disorders of the ear, nose and throat.
- May also assist eye surgeons, neurosurgeons and general surgeons in complex cases.
- ENT specialist can carry out surgery on some fixed days.
- To check progress of the patients.
- To perform surgeries on voice box & face and find treatment for any hearing problem.
Courses & Duration
Also Check – Courses after 12th Science
How can I become an ENT Specialist?
Aspirants who want to become an ENT specialist are required to go for the Master of Surgery (MS) in ENT or Doctor of Medicine (MD) in ENT. In order to take admission in MD/MS, one must passed the Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) programme. Courses offered in the field of ENT are mentioned below:
- Diploma in ENT – 2 years
- Diploma in Otorhinolaryngology – 2 years
- Doctor of Medicine in ENT – 3 years
- Master of Surgery in ENT – 3 years
- Post graduate diploma in Otorhinolaryngology – 2 years
- Diploma in Laryngology and Otology (DLO) – 2 years
Interested candidates can also further specialized in M.Ch (Head and Neck surgery) after MS (ENT).
- Pediatric ENT
- Otology and Rhinlogy
- Thyroid Surgery
- Head & Neck Surgery
- Facial plastic surgery
- Neurotology / Skull base surgery
Some candidates do fellowships in otolaryngology which are as follows:
- Pediatric Otolaryngology (1 or 2 years)
- Head and Neck Oncologic Surgery (1 or 2 years)
- Laryngology (1 year)
- Allergy (1 year)
- Facial Plastic Surgery (1 year)
- Otology/Neurotology (2 years)
- Rhinology/Sinus Surgery (1 year)
- Sleep Medicine (1 year)
- Skull Base (1 year)
Other PG Medical Courses:
How to get admission in ENT Courses?
One can apply for admission to the postgraduate medical courses through the entrance test. Candidates have to score well in the entrance examination in order to take admission. Admission to the MBBS programme is generally provided on the basis of NEET (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test). NEET 2020 is a national level examination, which is organized by the CBSE Board for providing admissions in MBBS & BDS courses across the country.
Several postgraduate level medical entrance test are conducted at national and state level. Some medical entrance exams for admission to MD/MS courses are listed below:
In India, which medical institutions are good to pursue ENT courses?
There are several institutions and universities are situated in India, which offers excellent education in the field of ENT. Some top colleges are mentioned here:
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER)
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER)
Jobs & Career Scope
“There are lots of job opportunities available in the public as well as private sector for ENT Specialist”.
After earning qualification in ENT, one can work in a government and private hospital for gaining experience. They can work as a practitioner. As you are experienced and enough confident, you can start your own clinic.
Aspirants can also join research programmes after the completion of MD (ENT). For advancement in studies, you can also take MCH (Oncology) programme that is the super specialization in the field of ENT.
Jobs to such professionals are also offered in teaching field. Candidates who are interested in teaching can apply in medical institutes or Universities for the post of professors.
“After achieving good experience and name in this field, you can also open your own clinic”.
ENT specialists are in high demand in India as well as in foreign countries.
Types of Job for ENT specialists:
- ENT assistant
- ENT Surgeon
- Private practitioners
Some areas where you can find jobs after pursing degree in ENT are listed here:
- Government Hospitals
- Specialist Hospitals
- Private Practice
- Institutions & Universities
- Private Hospitals
- Nursing Homes
- Multi Specialist Hospitals
“In India, various reputed organizations offer attractive salary packages to ENT Specialists”.
ENT specialists earns excellent salary package. Salary depends upon several factors that include experience, geographic location, sub specialty and work.
As a ENT technician you can start with Rs. 20 -25 thousand per month. The candidates having ENT Specialist degree they can start from Rs.6 to 8 lacs per annum.
“Salary of an ENT Specialist is primarily based on the working experience, after gaining enough experience, you can easily earn even lacs per month”.
Books & Study Materials
Presently, the market is full with the books on ENT and related subjects. Here we have sorted some books which have been compiled after the deep analyzing from our experts. Some best books that you can refer to study ENT are as follows:
- Clinical Cases in ENT by Geetha Chary
- Otolaryngology by Thomas R. Van De Water, Hinrich Staecker
- Ear Surgery by Richard R. Gacek
- Otolaryngology by Balwant Singh Gendeh
- ENT and Head & Neck Surgery by Shibu George
- Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery: Clinical Reference Guide by Raza Pasha
- Functional Atlas of the Human Fascial System by Carla Stecco
- The Antipodes of the Mind by Benny Shanon
- Color Atlas of ENT Diagnosis by Tony R. Bull
- Introduction to Adult Swallowing Disorders by Michael A. Crary
If you have any query about Career in ENT, you may ask us by dropping your comments below.