Career in Automobile/Automotive Engineering
Are you passionate about Automobiles?
Do you want to design your own car?
Then a career in Automobile Engineering will be best for you…
In present scenario, Automobile/Automotive Engineering is one of the most famous professions you can choose.
“What is Automobile Engineering?”
Automobile Engineering (Automotive Engineering) is a branch of engineering courses comes under courses after 12th science which deals with designing, operating and constructing automobiles. It is also a branch of Vehicle Engineering which works with automobiles, motorcycles, trucks, buses, etc.
Automotive Engineering is the sub-branch of Mechanical Engineering.
In India, the automotive industry is one of the largest in the world with an annual production of 23.37 million vehicles (in FY 2014-15).
Today an Automotive Engineer works in every area of the industry, from the look and mechanism of cars to the security and safety of new forms of transport.
Latest Application Forms Available
- Apply online for B.Tech from Uttaranchal University, Dehradun. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Manipal University, Karnataka. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from SRM University, Chennai. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Bennett University, Noida. Apply Now
- Apply online for B.Tech from Alliance University, Bangalore. Apply Now
Automobile Engineer’s major task is to design, develop, manufacture & testing of vehicles from the concept stage to the production stage.
Automobile Vs Automotive
An automobile is also used as a synonym to automotive.
Automobile engineering focuses on the cars. It manages the design, research, manufacture and operation of ground based vehicles.
Automotive Engineering particularly deals with the construction and design of automobiles.
Automotive is used as a descriptive word that indicates something that is related to or concerned with engine vehicles.
In common usage, automotive engineering is same as automobile engineering.
Courses & Eligibility
Want to become an Automotive Engineer?
From where to start?
The first step to become an Automotive Engineer is to pursue a course from college.
There are many universities and colleges in India, which offers diploma, bachelor, master & Doctoral courses in this field. Some of the courses are as the following:
- Certificate Course in Automobile Engineering
- Certificate Course in Automobile Repair & Driving
- Diploma in Automobile Engineering
Duration: It is three years duration course.
Eligibility: Candidate has to complete their high school examination.
- B.Tech in Automobile Engineering
- B.Tech in Automotive Design Engineering
Duration: The duration of this course is four years.
Eligibility: Candidate who qualified their intermediate examination.
- B.E in Automobile Engineering
Duration: four years duration course.
Eligibility: Candidates have to pass their intermediate examination.
- M.Tech in Automobile Engineering
- M.Tech in Automotive Engineering & e-Manufacturing
Duration: It is two year duration programme.
Eligibility: Candidates have a bachelor degree in Automobile Engineering.
- M.E in Automobile Engineering
Duration: The duration of this course is two years.
Eligibility: Candidate has completed their Bachelor Degree in Automobile Engineering.
- Ph.D in Automobile Engineering
Duration: It is three year duration programme.
Eligibility: Candidates have a master degree in Automobile Engineering.
Entrance Exam For UG Level – JEE Main 2017
Entrance Exam For PG Level – GATE 2017
Some other entrance tests for engineering courses are listed here:
- JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) Advanced
- AP EAMCET (Andhra Pradesh Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test)
- TS EAMCET (Telangana Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test)
- BCECE (Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination)
- UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
- Electronics and control systems
- Fluid mechanics
- Rapid prototyping
- Computer-based systems and electronics
- Engine systems
- Vehicle and pedestrian safety or supply chain management
- Fuel technology and emissions
- Emissions control
Some top colleges to pursue Automotive Engineering are listed here:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur
- National Institute of Technology, Delhi
- National Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
“Career opportunities are rising rapidly for Automotive Engineers”
This field requires lots of dedication & hard work to learn the profession and achieve the success.
The automotive engineering career option is very creative & fast paced. It is one of the most preferred careers by engineers.
The job opportunity as an Automobile Engineers is increases due to rapid growth of auto component in automobile sector.
The automotive industry is very diverse,intensely competitive & highly globalized. Many vehicle producers turn out hundreds of models, which change at regular intervals.
Generally, an automotive engineer designs new machines and improves the performance of existing machines. An Automotive Engineer can work in national and multinational automobile companies, Defense services, Service stations and Private transport companies.
Some graduates can also setup their own business or take up traditional teaching profession.
Those candidates have a Ph.D degree in this field, they can opt for lectureship or for the post of professor in various engineering colleges.
Some foreign automobile companies like Renault, Volkswagen, Audi etc now focusing on India as a base to manufacture cars.
- Automobile Technicians
- Bike Mechanics
- Automobile Designers
- Car Mechanics
- Quality Engineer
- Mechanical Design Engineer
- Executive and Managerial Positions
- Diesel Mechanics
- Senior Production Engineer
- Driver Instrumentation Engineer
- Maruti Suzuki
- Ashok Leyland
- Mahindra & Mahindra
- Hero Moto Corp
- Heldex India
As an Automobile Engineer what will be my Salary?
Salary package of an Automotive Engineer depends upon several factors like job profile, organization, experience, qualification and experience.
Automotive Engineers can earn a considerable salary, more than many other types of engineers.
In India, the average salary of an Automotive Engineer is Rs. 3 Lakh to Rs. 6 Lakh per annum (as a fresher).
An experienced Automotive Engineer with master’s degree can earn more than Rs. 1,00,000/- per month or they can also set up their own maintenance workshops or automobile garage.
In the USA, the starting salary of a fresher Automotive Engineer is around $64k per year.
Books & Study Materials
There are many books for Automotive Engineering is available in the market. Here we have listed some most sought books to pursue Automotive Engineering:
Automobile Engineering – Kripal Singh
Advanced vehicle techonology – Heinz heisler
Automotive Mechanics – Crouse and Anglin
Road Vehicle Dynamics: Fundamentals and Modeling – Georg Rill
Vehicle Dynamics – Thomas D. Gillespie
Theory of ground vehicles – J.Y. Wong
Internal combustion engines fundamentals – John Heywood
Fundamentals of vehicle dynamics – Thomas D. Gillespie
Automobile Engineering Theory – Kapil Dev
Automotive engineering – Cruise n Angelin
Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals – John B.heywood
For more information about Career in Automobile/Automotive Engineering, you can ask here.