CAT 2017: Result, Score Card, Cut-Off, Counselling, Admission
Common Admission Test (CAT 2017) is one of the competitive entrance examinations for pursuing postgraduate programmes in Business Administration. It is the gateway for admission to 19 Indian Institute of Management (IIMs) and various B-schools located across the country. This national level examination is conducted by the IIMs on the rotation basis. Every year a large number of candidates appear in the CAT examination and the number is increasing year by year. The candidates are informed to consider CAT 2016 for admission in the year 2017. This article familiarizes the candidate with all the necessary details and notifications about CAT 2016 result, cut-off, etc.
CAT 2016 Notification – Score Card Released
CAT 2016 Result has been released now. Candidates can download the score card by entering their login details. Click Here for Result.
CAT 2016 Exam Dates
Here we have provided the official dates of CAT 2016:
|Start Date of Online Application||8th August, 2016|
|Last date to submit the application form||27th September, 2016 (Extended)|
|Correction window||1st to 5th October 2016|
|Admit Card Download Date||24th October, 2016|
|CAT 2016 Exam Date||4th December, 2016|
|Result Announcement Date||9th January, 2017|
The CAT 2017 exam dates mentioned above are authentic, and has been updated with the official notification.
CAT 2016 Result
The result of the CAT 2016 has been declared on 9th January, 2017 tentatively. The candidates can check their result through the website by providing their valid user ID and password. Also, the result intimation message will also be sent to the candidate’s registered phone number. The result contains the percentile marks as well as sectional and total marks obtained by the candidate. After the announcement of result, the cut-off marks will be released by the IIMs.
CAT 2016 Admit Card
The CAT 2016 admit card was released by the conducting authority of CAT on 24th October 2016. The candidates have to furnish this document as the entry ticket at the examination centre. In addition to this, a valid identity proof is also needed on the day of the examination.
CAT 2016 Registration
- The candidates who are interested for CAT 2016 are required to apply online.
- CAT 2016 Registration is over now.
- Before applying for CAT 2016, check your eligibility by referring the eligibility document available on the official website of CAT 2016.
- The registrations was done till 27th September 2016. For payment purpose, net banking, credit card (Visa/Master/American Express)/ Debit card (Visa/Master) will be applicable.
- The general candidates/NC-OBC has to pay Rs. 1700 while the candidates of reserved community (SC)/ST will be charged Rs. 850. In addition to this payment, transaction processing fees will also be applicable separately.
The eligibility criteria for CAT 2016 are mentioned below:
- The minimum qualification required is bachelor’s degree with 50% marks (45% for SC/ST/PWD). If the obtained marks are in the form of CGPA then it would be converted to percentage marks based on the procedure certified by the university/ institution from where the candidate has passed his/her bachelor degree.
- The candidates appearing in the final year of bachelor’s degree and whose results are awaiting are also eligible to apply for CAT.
Candidates may check CAT 2017 eligibility criteria in detail from here.
As per the policy of Indian government, the seat reservation will be applicable for CAT and the seats are reserved as follows:
- Schedule Caste (SC) – 15% seats
- Schedule Tribe (ST) – 7.5% seats
- Non Creamy – Other Backward Classes (NC-OBC) – 27% seats
- PWD Differently Abled (DA) candidates – 3% seats
The candidates claiming reservation have to upload their supporting certificates at the time of application/registration. In case of failure of uploading such documents will result in the rejection of your application.
Courses Offered Through CAT 2016
CAT Exam Pattern
It must be necessary for the candidates to have knowledge about the examination pattern that includes number of questions appear in the examination, number of sections, time duration, areas from where question paper will be made, etc. In this section we have provided the CAT 2016 exam pattern in detail.
- Type: Computer based test (CBT).
- Duration: The duration of the paper CAT 2016 exam will be of 180 minutes.
- No. of Questions: 100 Objective type questions.
- Syllabus Covered: logical reasoning & data interpretation, verbal ability & Reading Comprehension and quantitative ability.
- Marking Scheme: 3 marks for every correct answer.
- Negative Marking: 1 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
- Time Limit per Section: Candidates will be allotted exactly 60 minutes for answering questions in each section.
Check CAT Pattern in the table below:
|Quantitative Ability||34||102||60 Min|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||32||96||60 Min|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||34||102||60 Min|
Candidates may check CAT 2016 Exam Pattern in detail from here.
The candidates are facilitated with on-screen calculator for calculation purpose. They need not to bring any physical calculator on the examination day.
The candidates are credited with 3 marks for every correct answer and minus 1 mark for each incorrect response. No marks will be provided or deducted for the un-attempted question.
The CAT Syllabus divided into four sections: Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation, Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning. Candidates preparing for the CAT exam, must be aware of the CAT 2017 syllabus. The syllabus comprises of Quantitative Aptitude, Verbal and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning. Candidates have to master these topics in order to score well in the exam. It is a computer based test which contains multiple choice questions (MCQ). Some of the question will be of subjective types.
Planning is the initial step for every task and for exam preparation it works too. But how one should prepare for CAT? And the answer is pretty simple, plan your study hours as per the syllabus. Go through the latest syllabus and exam pattern before start preparation. Refer the right study material and books that also contain the previous years solved question papers. Allot some of your time for rest also and don’t avoid revision.
FAQ’s (Most Asked Questions)
CAT Score Card
The authority has announced the section-wise score card that contains all the details relevant to the performance of candidates in CAT 2016 exam. The candidates are able to access their score card on the same day of the result announcement. The score card of CAT will be valid for one year. The candidates have to login with their credentials to download the score card.
CAT Cut-Off Marks
The candidates who have crossed the cut-off criteria set by the IIMs are eligible for admission in IIMs. Each Indian Institute of Management (IIMs) has released their own cut-off marks for admitting the students. Obtaining the cut-off marks will not guarantee your admission, your past academic record, work experience will also matters in providing admission to IIMs. The average cut-off marks for IIMs are mentioned below:
On the basis of the CAT cut-off marks, IIMs and various b-schools shortlists the candidates. The shortlisted candidates are further called for Personal Interview (PI), Group Discussion (GD) and Written Ability Test (WAT). The admission will be done on the basis of the overall scores secured by the candidates in CAT score card, GD, PI and WAT. Apart from this, candidate’s academic performance and work experience is also taken into consideration at the time of admission. The IIMs have also release their own admission procedure and criteria for providing admission. The selection process varies B-school to B-schools.
If you have any doubt regarding CAT 2017, you may ask us by commenting below.