CAT 2021: Notification, Registration, Exam Date, Pattern, Eligibility
Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) will conduct the CAT 2021 exam. It is computer based admission test conducted for admissions in PG & Fellow management programmes offered by IIMs all over the country. Various B Schools and other management instituions in India will consider the CAT score for providing admission in MBA, PGDM & other PG management courses.
CAT refers to Common Admission Test which is one of the most sought exam for management courses. It will be organized only once in a year. Students appearing for CAT 2021 exam can check complete details from below including notification, dates, application, pattern etc.
CAT 2021 Exam Date
The official dates of CAT 2021 exam will be announced later till then students can check the tentative schedule from below:
|Issue of notification||Last week of July 2020|
|Registration begins||1st week of August 2020|
|Last date for registration||4th week of September 2020|
|Image correction window||Last week of September 2020|
|Mock test available||3rd week of October 2020|
|Admit card release||4th week of October 2020|
|Exam date||4th week of November 2020|
|Answer key release||1st week of December 2020|
|Declaration of result||1st week of January 2021|
CAT 2021 Exam Summary
|Exam Name||CAT (Common Admission Test)|
|Courses||PG Management (MBA/PGDM)|
|Conducting Body||Indian Institutes of Management|
|Level||National Level Exam|
|Exam Mode||CBT (Computer Based Test)|
|Exam Date||November 2020 (Tentative)|
CAT Registration 2021
Here we have given important instructions to fill the CAT Application Form 2021:
- Registration can be done through the website.
- Registration window will be opened from the first week of August 2020.
- Candidates must ensure that they have a working mobile number and Email ID for CAT 2021 registration.
- Firstly, candidates will have to register to generate their unique User ID and password.
- Candidates must login with the generated ID details to fill the application form.
- After entering details & making fee payment, candidates submit the application to complete the registration process.
- Once the application is submitted, candidates will not be allowed to make any changes.
- Scanned images of passport size photograph and signature are required for uploading.
- The registration fee will be Rs.950 for SC, ST and PwD and Rs.1900 for all other candidates.
- Registration fee is non refundable.
- Processing fee will also be charged.
- The fee payment can be done through debit/credit card, net banking or UPI.
CAT Application Correction
The authority will provide a window to make correction in images uploaded in the application form. Students will be able to correct their uploaded images during the last week of September 2020.
Candidates are required to login to the students dashboard. After login, candidates can upload their correct images. Corrections in other details of the application form will not be allowed by the authority.
CAT Registration Trends
Below we have provided the previous year trends of CAT examination:
|Year||No. of Registration||No. of Test Takers|
CAT Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must check the eligibility criteria given below before applying for the CAT exam.
- Qualifying Exam: Bachelor degree or equivalent with minimum 50% (45% for reserved categories).
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates appearing in the final year of bachelor degree are also eligible to apply
- Candidates holding professional degrees like CA/CS/ICWA can also apply.
- Age Limit: There will be no age or attempt limit to apply for CAT.
CAT 2021 Exam Pattern
Here candidates can check the exam pattern of CAT 2021 exam:
- Exam Mode: The exam will be conducted through online mode (computer based test).
- Type of Questions: Both objective and subjective questions will be asked in the exam.
- Duration: Total three hours (180 minutes) will be given to solve the question paper.
- Test Centres: The exam will be organized around 156 cities. Name of the test centre will be mentioned in the admit card.
- Marking Scheme: Three marks will be given for each correct answer.
- Negative Marking: One mark will be deducted for each wrong answer in the objective type section. No negative marking will be done in the subjective section.
|Section||No. of MCQs||No. of Non MCQs||Duration||Total Marks|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (Section I)||24||10||1 hour||102|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (Section II)||24||8||1 hour||96|
|Quantitative Ability (Section III)||27||7||1 hour||102|
CAT Syllabus 2021
The syllabus of CAT 2021 has been divided into three sections, i.e. Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning, Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension & Quantitative Ability. The detailed syllabus for these sections are provided below:
Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning: Caselets and Tables, Venn Diagrams, Combination of two or more types linked to each other, Calendars, Cubes and Clocks, Seating Arrangement, Syllogism, Blood Relations, Bar Graphs and Column Graphs, Line Charts & Pie Chart, Number and Letter Series, Binary Logic, Logical Matching, Connectives & Sequence.
Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension: Synonyms Antonyms (Vocabulary Based), Correction in Sentence, Reading Comprehension, Jumbled Paragraph and Close Passage, Analogies and Reverse Analogies, Facts Inferences Judgements, Grammar or English Usage, Fill in the blanks, Verbal Reasoning, Meaning/Usage Match, Summary Questions.
Quantitative Ability: Number Systems, LCM & HCF, Speed, Time & Distance, Time & Work, Ratio & Proportion, Averages, Coordinate Geometry & Mensuration, Sequences & Series, Surds & Indices, Inequalities, Set Theory, Functions & Geometry, Mixtures & Allegations, Trigonometry, Profit, Loss & Discount, Percentages, Simple & Compound Interest, Logarithm, Binomial Theorem, Complex Numbers, Quadratic & Linear Equations, Probability, Permutation and Combination.
How to Prepare for CAT
Candidates willing to appear in CAT exam, can check some beneficial preparation tips from below:
- The first thing you have to do is to gather details about the exam pattern and syllabus.
- Get the right study materials like books, sample papers etc for preparations.
- Go through the previous year question papers to know the pattern and weightage of questions.
- Take online mock tests of CAT from the official and other websites too.
- Make a study group and discuss your strategies, problems etc.
- Make sure to complete your preparations 15 days before the exam day. And do not try any new topic after that.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
CAT 2021 Admit Card
The admit card will be available for download in the fourth week of October 2020. CAT admit card 2021 can be downloaded by entering ID and password.
Candidates must check all details like name, photograph, signature & other details mentioned in the admit card. In case of any mistake, they should contact to the CAT officials to get it rectified.
Candidates will have to carry one ID proof along with admit card. Candidates keep the admit card safe till their admissions are completed.
CAT Answer Key
The exam conducting authority will release the answer key through online mode. CAT 2021 answer key will be available within a week after the examination.
Candidates can access the answer key using their CAT ID and password through login. The authority will also provide the facility to challenge the answer key.
Candidates will have to pay Rs.1200 per question to challenge the answer key. The responses will also be released along with the answer key.
CAT 2021 Result
The result will be declared in the month of January 2021. Candidates can access CAT Score card through the website.
The score card will be valid till the last week of December 2021. There will be no offline mode available to check the result.
CAT result 2021 will contain detailed sectional and overall scaled scores and percentiles. Candidates make sure to take printout of the score card for further admission procedure.
CAT Normalization Procedure
CAT exam will be conducted in two sessions to ensure equity in comparison of performance of candidates a normalization procedure will be done.
The exam conducting authority will use the formula same applied for GATE to normalize the CAT scores. The scaled score of each section along with percentiles will be declared along with the result.
CAT Cut Off 2021
The cut-off will be the minimum marks of percentile required by the candidates in order to get shortlisted by the participating institutions. CAT 2021 cut-off will be released separately category wise. Candidates can check the last year cut-off from below:
CAT Admission Procedure
No centralized counselling or admission procedure will be conducted for admission in IIMs. Each IIM will conduct their own admission process for providing admissions.
CAT 2021 admission process will be started after the declaration of result. Admissions in IIMs will be done on the basis of CAT scores, written ability test, group discussion and personal interview.
IIMs will release their separate cut-off for providing admissions. Candidates will receive call letters in their registered Email ID. Candidates are required to report to the IIMs as per the allotted schedule.
If you have any other queries related to CAT 2021, you can leave your comments below.