Career As Stock Broker
Are you passionate about to know how Sensex & nifty work?
Do you have habit to handle finance?
Yes!……….Then Career as Stock Broker is just only for you. It is an exciting career option that involves quite a lot of challenges.
What is Stock Broking?
“The process of buying & selling of stocks or other securities is called as Stock Broking”.
Stock Broking Professionals are known as Stock Broker.
A stock broker act as an agent who makes stock trades on behalf of their investors. They are also called as a securities sales agent or securities and commodities sales agent.
They give valuable service and information to the client & assist them when to buy & sell the stocks and at what rates. He charges a fee and commission for its services in the stock market.
There are three kinds of stockbrokers in the market: discount brokers, bank brokers and full-service brokers.
Stock Broker also ensures that their stock trading company also makes maximum profit in the long run.
Courses & Duration
How I make a career in the stock market as a Stock Broker?
Become a stockbroker, you have a graduate degree with at least two year experience in a stock broking field. You can work as a sub-broker before make your career as Stock Broker. Various universities in India offer certificate level courses after class 12th:
ADMISSION OPEN 2019
You may also check – Courses after 12th Commerce
- NSE’s Certification in Financial Markets
- NSE’s Certified Market Professional
- Certificate Programme on Capital Markets
- Post Graduate Diploma in Capital Market and Financial Services
- Post Graduate Diploma in Fundamentals of Capital Market Development
- Bachelor Degree in Finance/ Mathematics/Accounting/ Economics/ Business Management
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)
Some of the big broking firms prefers: Chartered Accountants (CAs) and Chartered Financial Analysts (CFAs).
Eligibility required to work as sub-broker:
- Candidate has to qualify their 12th examination.
- The minimum age required is 21 years.
- Candidates, those with economics, commerce, business and finance qualifications can enter in this profession.
Skill required to become stock broker:
- Patience & Confident
- Logical Thinking
- Good business acumen
- Ability to solve complicated issues
- Good Communication skill
- Good mathematical skills
- Analytical mind
- Responsible attitude
You must have registered with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) after completing these courses. You have also registered yourself & become a member of a stock exchange.
To become a member, you have to pass the written entrance test and then undergoes training that includes subjects such as accountancy, capital markets, securities and portfolio analysis and so on. Membership is only given after ensuring that the person will able to operate as a broker.
Some of the entrance exams that are available in this field are given:
- BSE Certification on Central Depository
- BSE Certification on Derivatives Exchange
- BSE Certification on Currency Futures
- BSE Certification on Securities Markets
Top colleges in India where you study stock broking:
- Institute of Financial and Investment Planning, Mumbai
- All India Centre for Capital Market Studies, Nasik
- Institute of Company Secretaries of India, New Delhi
- Institute of Capital Market Development, New Delhi
- Mumbai Stock Exchange Training Institute, Mumbai
- Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of India (ICFAI),Hyderabad
How to be a Stock Broker?
- You have to register yourself with the stock exchange(s) depending upon your dealing in the securities listed at different stock exchanges.
- After that, you have to pass a written test & then undergo training that includes subjects such as capital markets, accountancy, portfolio analysis, etc to become a member.
- You have to deposit certain amount with the stock exchange as security for membership. Membership will be given after analysis that you are able to operate as a broker.
- You have to take a BSE certification on derivatives exchange & NSE’s certification in Financial Markets.
Career & Jobs
A career in share market is a very good option indeed. The job opportunities are opened in various organizations because of the Economic growth and liberalization. A stockbroker can be employed by various agencies and firms in India as well as in abroad. Stock broker simplifies the stock market terms & trading practices to the clients. They offer financial counselling and devising financial portfolios.
They can work as a dealer, advisor or securities analyst. After gaining some years experience, you can also start your own consultancy agencies.
If you have a degree in stock broking, you have an option to become a financial manager, analyst, market specialist, etc.
Larger broking companies prefer Chartered Financial Analysts (CFAs) or Chartered Accountants (CA) or MBA (Finance) graduates.
Duties of Stock Broker:
- Research the financial markets
- Report to the clients
- Monitor the clients’ investments
- Consult investment analysts
- Pitch for new clients
- Financial Advisers
- Investment Advisor
- Capital Market Specialists
- Independent Agent
- Securities Analyst
- Financial Managers
- Security Traders
- Security Sales Representative
- Securities Broker
- Broking firms
- Large Businesses
- Insurance companies
- Investment banks
- Pension funds
- Traditional banks dealing with broking firms
- Magazines and Newspapers
- Investment consultancies
- Mutual funds
- Other financial institutions
Some of the top recruiters in India that employs stock brokers are:
- Angel Broking limited
- Reliance Capital Ltd
- JP Morgan
- ICICI Direct
- India Infoline
- Sharekhan Limited
- Kotak Securities Ltd.
- Karvy Consultany
The salary of the stock broker will be depended on their qualification & performance. The starting salary of the stock broker may be arises in between Rs. 2 to 3 Lakh per annum. As you gain experience, then you can earn Rs. 5 to 7 Lakh per year. Some of the brokering companies pay bonus in addition to the salary on the basis of the performance. You can also earn in crores on the basis of your skills.
In abroad, you can getting a starting salary from £24,000 to £35,000 a year.
Books & Study Material
- How to Make Money in Stocks by William O’Neil
- Market Wizards by Jack Schwager
- The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by Jack Bogle
- Reminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefèvre
For more information about Career as Stock Broker, you can ask here.