CAT 2018: Registration, Application Form, Exam Dates, Pattern, Syllabus
CAT 2018 is also known as Common Admission Test. It is a national level examination administrated by the IIMs (Indian Institutes of Management) on rotation basis. CAT exam is a management aptitude test organized for providing admission to students in postgraduate management programmes (MBA). For admission into IIMs, it is mandatory to qualify the CAT exam. Various reputed colleges other than IIMs also consider the CAT score for offering admission. Here we are providing details about CAT 2018 exam, including notification, registration, eligibility criteria, syllabus, etc.
CAT Exam Dates
The tentative dates of CAT 2018 examination are mentioned below:
|Advertisement released||Last week of July 2018|
|Online registration starts||2nd week of August 2018|
|Last date for registration||Last week of September 2018|
|Admit card release date||4th week of October 2018|
|Exam date||1st week of December 2018|
|Result announcement||2nd week of January 2019|
CAT Registration 2018
- Candidates can register for this exam via online mode through the website.
- CAT Application Form 2018 will be released from the second week of August 2018.
- Go through the official website of CAT (link will be provided above).
- Enter your registration details and register yourself.
- A User ID and Password will be generated after registration.
- Fill all the required details like personal, academic, programmes & other relevant details.
- Upload the scanned images of photograph, signature & other required documents.
- Candidates are required to pay the application fee through online mode only.
- Don’t forget to take printout of the application form for further use.
- The application fee will be Rs. 1700/- for General / NC-OBC candidates.
- SC/ST /PWD candidates are required to pay Rs.850/- as an application fee.
- The application fee payment can be done through debit/credit card & net banking.
- The additional charges have been mentioned below:
|Payment Mode||Transaction Processing Fees|
|Credit Card (Visa/Master)||1.20% of the value of the transaction.|
|Credit Card (Amex/Diners Club)||2.85% of the value of the transaction.|
|Debit Card (Visa/Master/Rupay)||0.75% of the value of the transaction for amount up to Rs.2000.00.|
|Debit Card (Visa/Master/Rupay)||1.00% of the value of the transaction for amount more than Rs.2000.00.|
|Net Banking||Rs.20.00 per transaction.|
|Cash Card & Wallet||1.75% of the value of the transaction.|
The detailed eligibility criteria to apply for CAT 2018 exam is given here:
- Qualification: Students must have a bachelor’s degree in any stream from any recognized college or university.
- Percentage Criteria: In the qualifying exam, students must have secured minimum 50% marks for general and 45% marks in case of SC, ST and PwD candidates.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates appearing in the final year of the qualifying exam or who have completed the degree requirements and waiting for the result are also eligible to apply.
- Other Qualification: CA/CS/ICWA professional degree holders are also eligible to apply.
CAT Exam Pattern
- Exam Mode: This exam will be organized on digital or Computer Based Test (CBT).
- Exam Duration: The total exam duration will be 180 minutes. Sixty minutes duration has been allotted to complete each section.
- Type of Question: The questions will be multiple choice type and subjective type.
- No. of Question: The question paper will comprise of total 100 questions.
- Marking Scheme: Three marks will be awarded for each correct answer.
- Negative Marking: For multiple choice questions, one mark will be deducted for a wrong answer and for questions other than MCQs no marks will be deducted.
|Section||No. of Question||Duration||Total Marks|
|Quantitative Ability||34||60 Min||102|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||34||60 Min||102|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||32||60 Min||96|
- There is not any such fixed syllabus for CAT examination.
- Candidates may attempt the mock test to understand the syllabus and exam pattern.
- The syllabus comprises of four sections, i.e. Quantitative Ability or Mathematics, Data Interpretation, Verbal Ability & English and Logical Reasoning.
- Questions will be asked from the above mentioned topics.
- To score better in the examination, students are advised to consider the whole syllabus for exam preparations.
How to Prepare for CAT
- Correct strategy & time schedule is the key to crack any exam.
- Prepare a proper time table according to your daily schedule and manage your time equally for all the subjects.
- Gather all the details about the syllabus and cover every single topic in your preparation.
- Find out the best books and study materials for preparations.
- Practice from previous year question papers it will help you to know more about the exam pattern.
- Take healthy & nutritious diet and do exercise & yoga it will help you to remain physically fit.
FAQs (Most Asked Questions)
CAT 2018 Admit Card
- Only those candidates will be able to get the admit card who have successfully submitted their online application form.
- CAT 2018 Admit Card will be provided to students through online mode.
- Candidates can download the CAT hall ticket by entering their User ID and Password.
- The admit card will contain details like Name of the candidate, Test date, User ID / Registration Number, PWD status, etc.
- It is mandatory to bring the admit card at the examination centre on the day of the examination.
CAT 2018 Answer Key
- The answer key will contain the correct answers of the questions asked in the CAT examination.
- CAT answer key will be published within a week after the examination.
- Students can get the answer key via online mode through the website.
- Through answer key, candidates can have an idea about their performance in the examination.
CAT Result 2018
Candidates can check the CAT 2018 Result in the second week of January 2019. CAT score card will be made available via online mode through the website. The authority may also intimate about the result to candidates individually. Candidates can view their score through the login window. Candidates are advised to take printout of the result for further use.
Students will get admission in various IIMs on the basis of cut-off. CAT Cut-off will depend upon the various terms like number of students, seats availability, exam difficulty, etc. CAT cut-off will be released after the declaration of result. Cut-off will be published separately for various categories like NC-OBC, ST, ST and DA/PwD.
CAT 2018 Admission
CAT counselling 2018 will be started after the result announcement. Each IIM consider their own procedures & eligibility for providing admissions. Admission will be done as per the cut-off released by the IIMs. For admission candidates have to go through various rounds like Personal Interview (PI), Group Discussion (GD) and Written Ability Test (WAT). Admission will be done as per the candidate’s performance in the CAT exam & Interview organized by IIMs.
For any other queries related to CAT 2018, you can leave your queries below in the comment box.